What tips do you use??

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been switching a lot lately. Played with G2 M for a few years. Right now I'm using a Zan Hybrid Max. I like it once it got broken in and I took about 3 layers off. Tried a Cyborg Quick before that. Had it cut off after two days. Had a good feel but hated the ping sound and it mushroomed bad. Went back to Onyx for a minute since I hadn't played with one in a long time. Love the hit and feel but once it started glazing every few hours I remembered why I switched from them. I love the way a Onyx plays, just wish they held up longer. G2 M are the best I've tried. Once this hybrid max needs replacing that's what I'll go back to. Zan is pretty close though.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I like the Water Buffalo Pro from Cue Components better than Triangles.

It's certainly more consistent. As I've posted many times before, the yield of good, usable tips from a box of LePro's or Triangle's is extremely low. Can't tell you how many I've cut off after installation because of poor quality. Consequently, I no longer install either.

I keep hoping the quality will improve...

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Can you clarify the highlighted above? I mean are you saying they buy Elkmaster/LePro/Triangle tips and just do additional processes? Or are you saying they use the same base leather (water buffalo hide) and respective tanning processes (chrom/veg/chrome+veg), but that Ki-Tech have their own leather selection process and leather tanning, press process and controls?

Freddie <~~~ hmmm...

Did you get your answer, Fred? I was telling the truth ;)

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I have tried many of the one listed and I prefer the Kamikaze Medium Tip.

https://www.kamikazecuetips.com/

It plays very well, does not mushroom, does not glaze over and puts great english on the cue ball. It is layered and shapes very well on my lathe for shaping. It is what I recommend to all people that I install tips for.

Here is what their website says:

Kamikaze Cue Tips are 9 layer cue tips constructed from the Finest Premium hand selected Japanese Pig Skin. Japanese Pig Skin is the best leather used for constructing Premium Cue Tips. The leather fibers and pores from this leather absorb and hold chalk extremely well. This allows for excellent cue ball control, fewer miscues, and extreme "English." 100% Japanese Pig Skin tips are well known for the best material available used to construct cue tips. These tips are available to you at 50% -75% savings compared to other Japanese layered tips that are overpriced because of brand name popularity. The Diameter of the Kamikaze Cue Tips are 14 MM, and the Height is 8 MM. Kamikaze Cue Tips Hardness available in (SS) - Super Soft, (S) - Soft, (M) - Medium, (H) - Hard.

"You just might have a new Favorite Cue Tip"

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O'Min (meh), Talisman (better), Phoenix Waterbuffalo (great).

And for pool shafts Ultraskins, because they are just like Tiger Onyx, but not insanely expensive!

In Germany supply also is not too great... the big ones (Kamui, Tiger) are usually available, but all the rest isnt.

Cheers,
M

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I have three straight maple shafts I play with consistently. On two of them that are my main players, I use Kamui Mediums... I've never tried Kamui before, so this is more of a trial period. I usually use a good Triangle that has passed my Freddie Agnir bite test and the sinker in the glass of water test. I am liking the Kamui's that came with my new cue, but I will likely go back to triangles just because its more cost effective, and I do not mind the labor involved in keeping the triangles in shape. Zero work needed for Kamui tips.

Lesh

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Blah, blah, blah.

Which tips do you use as your "blanks" for your tips? Having engaged with you before on this, and you pretty much admitting it, your soft is a modified Elk, your medium is a modified Triangle. And your hard tip is a modified Le Pro. Correct? I've cut and sanded pretty much every single piece tip on the market. Yours cut exactly like the three I just mentioned.

If Outsville are using cow leather for any of their tips, then that means they can't be using Tweeten tips as a blank for the cow-based tips.

Tweeten doesn't use cow; Tweeten uses water buffalo and have for decades and decades. So, when people tell me they use WB tips, I get all confused as to what they're really saying.

Freddie <~~~ hooray for water buffalo

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have tried many of the one listed and I prefer the Kamikaze Medium Tip.

https://www.kamikazecuetips.com/

It plays very well, does not mushroom, does not glaze over and puts great english on the cue ball. It is layered and shapes very well on my lathe for shaping. It is what I recommend to all people that I install tips for.

Here is what their website says:

Kamikaze Cue Tips are 9 layer cue tips constructed from the Finest Premium hand selected Japanese Pig Skin. Japanese Pig Skin is the best leather used for constructing Premium Cue Tips. The leather fibers and pores from this leather absorb and hold chalk extremely well. This allows for excellent cue ball control, fewer miscues, and extreme "English." 100% Japanese Pig Skin tips are well known for the best material available used to construct cue tips. These tips are available to you at 50% -75% savings compared to other Japanese layered tips that are overpriced because of brand name popularity. The Diameter of the Kamikaze Cue Tips are 14 MM, and the Height is 8 MM. Kamikaze Cue Tips Hardness available in (SS) - Super Soft, (S) - Soft, (M) - Medium, (H) - Hard.

"You just might have a new Favorite Cue Tip"

That's very awesome....Thank you for the Positive comments. Glad they are working out for you and your customers. I have a lot of installers and retailers who purchase regularly who are based out of Texas.
:grin:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not mind the labor involved in keeping the triangles in shape. Zero work needed for Kamui tips.

Wow.....! This is 100% opposite of what I have experienced and anyone I know of.

Usually the Triangles need zero work and the Kamui's are endless scuffing and maintenance.
I remember when I used Kamui I had to scuff every day. Sometimes twice if it was a long session.
Used to think, no wonder Kamui make their own scuffer, you almost have to buy it if you use their tips.

Interesting how different things can be.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ki-tech is having a labor day sale. I think it's 3 Techno duds and a piece of their chalk for something like $15.00 or $20
I just switched my SIB pro for the ki-tech medium soft. It's very grippy.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another vote for the good old fashioned Triangle. Having tried them all, I don't think there is a better one. Very coarse, you can pick the mediums from the medium-hards, by the look of the tops, depending on your preference.

Of course, some will chime in saying wrong. You must spend more!!!

All the best,
WW

How can u tell the difference between the mediums and medium hard triangles?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
How can u tell the difference between the mediums and medium hard triangles?

You have to look at the tops of the Triangle tips to tell the difference.

The smoother the top, the harder the tip will be.

If it looks a bit more rough, it will be more on the medium side. They tend to range from medium to medium-hard. Hope this helps.

All the best,
WW

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to look at the tops of the Triangle tips to tell the difference.

The smoother the top, the harder the tip will be.

If it looks a bit more rough, it will be more on the medium side. They tend to range from medium to medium-hard. Hope this helps.

All the best,
WW
Thanks for replying. I love the triangle tips. No more fancy layered $20 tips for me.