PAT 1 Standard Shot 1 - Basement Training Video

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is a lot of value in hitting balls at a faster rhythm.

First, it will give a better feel about how much of the shot clock one is actually using if they play tourneys where that matters.
You have an internal clock, and they give you a warning.

Second, it can be beneficial to figuring out how many shots were actually taken, a person will know after a session whether they were close to their fast speed or not.
Don't see any benefit to being at a fast speed, but do see a lot of problems with it.

Third, I don't believe in needing to practice perfection on every shot. There is a lot of value in pushing oneself in a practice session, what Cardigan did here was likely to put a certain pressure upon himself that he probably doesn't usually get while practicing alone.
If you don't practice perfection on every shot, you will never come close to achieving it.

Tied into the third point, missing can teach one as much or more than pocketing if a person is willing to figure out why he missed. I usually want to play as much as possible when my game is off precisely because I believe that my 'slump', as some would call it, is me being on the verge of learning something new. Thus, I want to be at the table as much as possible.
If you practice perfection on every shot, you will train yourself properly, and you won't have those slumps at all. Slumps are not being on the verge of learning something new, but rather are just the result of doing things wrong from what you have been doing.

Finally, when I play at a fast pace, I don't notice anything but the table. Whether it is because I am playing fast that I don't notice things that aren't at the table, or if it is because I don't notice things that I play fast depends on the situation. There have been times when I didn't notice anything but the table and the shot where I found out that I have played fast. There are other times where I forced myself to play fast so I could tune everything else out. It's amazing what a heightened level of concentration is capable of allowing.
A heightened level of concentration should always be strived for . Playing fast is one way, but is wrought with peril.

I read about a study once where they studied the effect of speeding up the pace of a task. They had people who were proficient at the task and people who were newer to the task. The newer people saw a huge drop-off in their performance when they were forced to speed up. The proficient people saw almost no change in performance when they sped up.
Tasks are one thing, playing pool is another animal altogether.

Tasks are one thing, playing pool is another animal altogether.

Task is simply a term for any activity. The study was on a sport of some sort.

How do you even know what perfection is until you've tried different things?

As for the internal clock, we are agreeing--I'm just stating that there is actual benefit to knowing how long it takes to do something. I learned a long time ago that people perceive time incorrectly.

Take, for instance, competitive foosball (which I used to play). On the 3-bar (the shooting rod), the player gets to keep the ball on that rod for up to 15sec (no warnings, if time is exceeded the play is stopped and the ball gets turned over). So, 15sec...not much time at all, right? Would you play in a pool tourney with a 15sec shot clock (I would, it plays to my strength)? But in foosball, most players shoot the ball at about 3-6sec.. When asked, they believe they were waiting ten seconds or more.

Perception of time is a difficult thing. Your internal clock changes, I guarantee, depending on the situation.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you would be better served by not worrying about the time at all, but instead making sure the balls are actually straight in, and that the cb stops dead with no spin on it. When the ob and cb are at a slight angle, you can't get a true read on exactly what happened. If you are training, pocketing the ball is only a portion of what one should be checking. You can mishit the ball and still make it, thereby learning nothing.

You want your practice sessions to be maximized to get the most benefit from them. If you set them up dead straight in, you can tell if your aim was off, and if you didn't actually hit the cb exactly where you intended to hit it.

Neil, I was doing the drill last night and if the cue ball and object ball are not dead straight, massive a hair of deviation, I noticed that a good hit will just send the cue ball off to the side a half revolution, with no side spin. I've noticed I do get feedback on those type of shots, some came up in the video.

Also on a 4 1/4" pocket, there really isn't room for error, if I align the balls dead straight or just place them slightly off, a slight off shot will not pocket the ball. My target on the object ball still has to be exact and the stroke straight and true.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil, I was doing the drill last night and if the cue ball and object ball are not dead straight, massive a hair of deviation, I noticed that a good hit will just send the cue ball off to the side a half revolution, with no side spin. I've noticed I do get feedback on those type of shots, some came up in the video.

Also on a 4 1/4" pocket, there really isn't room for error, if I align the balls dead straight or just place them slightly off, a slight off shot will not pocket the ball. My target on the object ball still has to be exact and the stroke straight and true.

Even with a 4 1/4" pocket, you have a two inch margin of error. The reason this is so important, is that sometimes you need to shoot a combo with a little space between the balls, or have to shoot a ball between two balls or half the pocket is blocked. During those times, you want to have the confidence that you can shoot dead straight reliably.

When you don't have that confidence, you end up passing on makeable shots and playing safe. Playing safe will turn over the table to your opponent 100% of the time. Your ultimate goal should be to turn over the table 0% of the time, or as close to zero as you can train yourself.

An easy way to set them up dead straight is to put your tip right behind the ob pointed to the center of the pocket (center between the two points). Then just lift the butt a little, and put the cb centered under your cue.

Now, if you are reliably stopping the cb with only a half ball movement, you are doing pretty good on it. Just remember, there is always room for improvement!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even with a 4 1/4" pocket, you have a two inch margin of error. The reason this is so important, is that sometimes you need to shoot a combo with a little space between the balls, or have to shoot a ball between two balls or half the pocket is blocked. During those times, you want to have the confidence that you can shoot dead straight reliably.

When you don't have that confidence, you end up passing on makeable shots and playing safe. Playing safe will turn over the table to your opponent 100% of the time. Your ultimate goal should be to turn over the table 0% of the time, or as close to zero as you can train yourself.

An easy way to set them up dead straight is to put your tip right behind the ob pointed to the center of the pocket (center between the two points). Then just lift the butt a little, and put the cb centered under your cue.

Now, if you are reliably stopping the cb with only a half ball movement, you are doing pretty good on it. Just remember, there is always room for improvement!

Absolutely agree! That's the best part of pool - the obsessive compulsive inside has a playground. If the shot is done correctly, now it's an opportunity to see how many times it can be done correctly in a row. Never satisfied. Always looking for the ever elusive perfect repeatable stroke.

As you said, always room for improvement.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Someone else posted a link to this video, but the first part showcases what I was referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCPlv0mf3p0&t=7m43s

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Someone else posted a link to this video, but the first part showcases what I was referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCPlv0mf3p0&t=7m43s

If you are going to use Kinnister as an example, I have to mention on his Shot Number One he emphatically advocates SHOOTING THROUGH THE CUEBALL .
https://youtu.be/Gcg0pDeVc7I?t=64
You can see his tip go straight through the cueball. It doesn't dip.
His grip hand does not finish high. It finishes level with the stroke.

https://youtu.be/Gcg0pDeVc7I?t=387
His shot #1.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going to use Kinnister as an example, I have to mention on his Shot Number One he emphatically advocates SHOOTING THROUGH THE CUEBALL .

His shot #1.

Joey, what he calls shooting through the cb is what we also call finishing the stroke. He is an elbow dropper. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you. However, you can also easily see how much Bert has to steer his cue because he does drop his elbow. Elbow dropping or not dropping is a personal choice. One is harder to do than the other.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
What does this mean?

We focus on two different areas of the game.
1. Behind the cue ball. (That's us)
2. In front of the cue ball. (That's results)

When working on your body (cue) movements a cue ball could interfere
with our focus. Use a object ball as your strike.

randyg

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

His shot #1.

Yup.

Bought this vhs tape when it first came out as shown in shot #1

I still do these drills everyday. Its a gold mine for the serious student.

John

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CK,

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this about your body alignment on the shot line. This real clear by your right elbow not finishing on the shot line. Check out your video, you'll see what I mean.

Your right shoulder, and elbow are not naturally on the shot line. This is due to your not leading (rotating) into the shot line with your left shoulder which would make you rotate your right shoulder onto to the shot line.

Your bridge, chin (or strongest eye), right shoulder, elbow and grip hand should all be naturally on the shot line. Not forced onto the shot line. Once you feel you are lined up just let the cue fall from a back swing (without guiding it) down onto the cue ball. If its not going straight to the QB then you need more work.

Sorry instructors, waited long enough and had to post the obvious.

If you have a video recording device set it up to record your setup (frontal view). Then adjust from there.

John

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CK,

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this about your body alignment on the shot line. This real clear by your right elbow not finishing on the shot line. Check out your video, you'll see what I mean.

Your right shoulder, and elbow are not naturally on the shot line. This is due to your not leading (rotating) into the shot line with your left shoulder which would make you rotate your right shoulder onto to the shot line.

Your bridge, chin (or strongest eye), right shoulder, elbow and grip hand should all be naturally on the shot line. Not forced onto the shot line. Once you feel you are lined up just let the cue fall from a back swing (without guiding it) down onto the cue ball. If its not going straight to the QB then you need more work.

If you have a video recording device set it up to record your setup (frontal view). Then adjust from there.

John

I asked him if he had a question. He wrote that he posted the video mainly as a reference for other threads. It seemed to me he wasn't asking for an analysis but rather just sharing what he was doing.

Just speaking for myself --- After reading his response, I left the thread and didn't analyze anything, and that's why you didn't see any comments from me.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CK,

John

Hello John - I appreciate your taking the time to view the video and your feedback. Yes, I have to dig out a tripod and video camera and get a new round of shots, stationary and directly front on.

There's always room for improvement.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello John - I appreciate your taking the time to view the video and your feedback. Yes, I have to dig out a tripod and video camera and get a new round of shots, stationary and directly front on.

There's always room for improvement.

Cool.

I do the same thing at my house. Set up the tripod snap in the iphone and start recording. If I dont like what I'm seeing I make an adjustment and record again. I keep doing this until I'm happy with what I'm seeing. Then repeat the same stance and alignment many hundreds of times. Soon it becomes automatic.

Thanks for sharing your video. Hang in there and have fun. :)

John

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PAT Level 2 Standard Shot #2

Recorded this video after a long training session around 2 A.m. to focus on fundamentals.

This is from the WPA playing ability test - PAT Level 2
Standard Shot #2

Objective: using high inside English, bring the ball three rails to position in same-side lower corner. Alternate sides after each successful attempt.

Equipment: gold crown 2 sub rails modified to 4 1/4" pockets
(Table Difficult Factor of 1.08 registered on Dr. Dave's thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324408 )
with cloth well broken in so the shot has to be hit pure or it's not falling.

This isn't the compete set, I was near 50% success rate for this shot and I went 13 for 28 during the set. I believe I would be above 60% if playing on a standard table with a TDF of 1.0

Video Link:

https://youtu.be/NzmWf8krh-g

Thanks for watching.