Interesting observation in an old Mosconi vs Fats video

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's folks on this thread that have met both players, folks that haven't, and some that have met one or the other. And then there's various degrees of meeting, Like I saw them once. The rest form conclusions from the videos. That's not a dig, its just the way it is.

For me, unfortunately I never met or saw Mosconi play. I've only seen him on the vids and knew one person that knew him personally. He never had a sour word about him.

On the other hand this person above also knew Fats. I can attest to that since I lived the better part of a decade in Carbondale, I and probably met talked and played Fats 3Cushion, all added up about 50 times. In that time I believe he never knew my name, only face recognition. I was simply a punk student with no money, except that evening he took me for literally every cent I had on a side bet in a 1 pocket game. (He didn't know that, and I didn't tell him)

Notice Bill Meachum only piped in here maybe once. He was there before me, but also during my tenure.

I will tell you when he dropped into town from Dowel IL only 8 miles, the rooms he picked would light up. On the night I lost my fortune of $50 or $100 the room he picked was a struggling new room. He came to help the business. That night it was standing room only. He was playing a nobody we know, called Doc from DuQuoin 1 Pocket. Doc was no pushover and he was winning when I got in. Get the picture? Anyway a great night of entertainment. Well worth my losings even then, certainly in today's dollars. I learned a valuable gambling lesson although. Take that how you will.

Point of all this is we have our hero's. Fats is not a hero of mine but I'm very happy that I got to meet him. Very funny energetic and entertaining man, and has been said a very generous man. He never mentioned anything of his charity. I respect that part of him. It came from the heart and had no part of his public persona.

There's mention of his loving animals. This is all true and if you're ever at the Humane Society in Carbondale you should see a plaque in his honor for his contributions. I assume its still there. Why take it down.

Some of my most memorable times when learning how to swing a cue was the moments with Fats around.

My ribs hurt just thinking about those days.

Last edited:
... the people that gave us name plates and score counters that take the skin off your knuckles?

I hadn't thought about this in more than 30 years. Since I did not have a great nine-ball break I just broke from the center headrail while bridging on the rail. One day I pulled back a little too far and when I went forward the tip jammed on the raised Brunswick logo on the GC. I ripped off about a third of the tip and almost broke my right wrist. The ivory ferrule on my Joss East fortunately escaped unscathed.

Thanks for the memory PT:smile:.

RBL

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hadn't thought about this in more than 30 years. Since I did not have a great nine-ball break I just broke from the center headrail while bridging on the rail. One day I pulled back a little too far and when I went forward the tip jammed on the raised Brunswick logo on the GC. I ripped off about a third of the tip and almost broke my right wrist. The ivory ferrule on my Joss East fortunately escaped unscathed.

RBL

With your spastic stroke, you are very lucky you did not break every bone in your body..But then, just think of all the money you would have saved, if you had never been able to play pool again!..:eek:

PS..Wheres my $4200 ???..I will accept Cornbread's cue, as partial payment!:cool:

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I went looking for Celebrity Billiards on the interwebz. It turns out that VCI Entertainment released a single DVD in 2013 with some episodes on it. They seem to no longer sell the DVD. Lots of info is available on the billiardsmovies.com website at http://www.billiardsmovies.com/bill...ame-shows/celebrity-billiards-minnesota-fats/ -- also try clicking through on the link on that page to the movie The Player. It appears that the movie was shown in very, very limited distribution.

I'm pretty sure that Fats did not write any book. He told stories to Tom Fox who wrote a book. I think there's a difference.

Bob says with typical understatement, "....The Player. It appears that the movie was shown in very, very limited distribution." Like two private screenings, then it vanished.

Lou Figueroa
does happen to own
the movie poster

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may very well be right Lou, I dont know. And I think anyone would be hard pressed to absolutely prove any kind of popularity numbers. However, also keep in mind that during Mosconi's rise to fame, the media was in a strange place. He might not have received as much national attention as one might think.

After the great depression, pool was very rarely front page news anymore. The pool industry had crashed to half of what it was, there were too many other sports, wars, and now television and movies. Football, baseball and even bowling were doing quite well while pool just idled until 1961. I can even show you an article from around 1950 titled " Who is this Mosconi kid?" - a direct reflection of the "lack of fame" that Mosconi had garnered with the general public up until then.

Fats at least recognized the value of the new medium - television- and took full advantage of its star power. And it worked. He may not have made tournament headlines, but he got everyone's attention, somehow.

Again, I agree that Mosconi was a better ambassador, I just think that people sometimes underestimate the impact that Fats had with all the " noise " he made.

Yeah the movie didn't get very far. It got a lot of attention at first, but apparently it stunk so it disappeared pretty quick. And I mean it literally disappeared from the face of the earth.
Many people have been looking for a copy for years to no avail. We are actually offering a reward for any intact copy.
We have a great deal of information about the movie, and all kinds of promotional materials, including the only known footage from the movie, but the film itself is mysteriously missing.

It's all just grist for the mill, Mr. B.

Fun to kick around and personally I'd like to thank everyone who chirped up with their thoughts and recollections. As a few have commented, it's been an informative and entertaining thread that somehow managed not to get de-railed (much) in typical AZ fashion.

Lou Figueroa

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ditto.
What we need is another Greenleaf....with the class and killer game of Mosconi, but with the ability to charm and entertain like Fatty.

Well, lol except for the part where Greenleaf goes all Bon Scott and drinks himself into oblivion....I think we've got some players covering that already lol

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
20160901_120106~2.jpg

························

RBL

With your spastic stroke, you are very lucky you did not break every bone in your body..But then, just think of all the money you would have saved, if you had never been able to play pool again!..:eek:

PS..Wheres my $4200 ???..I will accept Cornbread's cue, as partial payment!:cool:

Ducky,

Which one? Do you also require a Fellini case?

RBL

cr1.jpg

cr2.jpg

cr3.jpg

cr4.jpg

No need to flash the sticks, everyone knows you are a 'Cue Whore' !..
Just send me all of them, and when I resell them, I will deduct it from the $4200!..(looks like maybe $2 or 300 dollars worth) :cool:

El Duck

El Ducko,

Would this one cue satisfy all my debts to you?

bszam1.jpg

bszam2.jpg

RBL (cue whore)

billinboston

Registered
Interesting how Fats wanted to play Mosconi 500 a game one pocket
Then he even offered to play Willie straight pool
To 100pnts with every other shot being a bank
And Willie just waved his hand at him
Wilie made some reference of breaking fats
In one pocket in 1948, and Fats replied with
Ya..you broke me of my candy... that's right....
Tell ya what Willie... stick around for awhile after this is
Over and we can play some ". lol

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure why one of them has to be a creep and the other a saint to some people.
I never met either man but I was told many stories about each man by someone who knew them both very well.
The saint was not a saint, and the devil was not a devil, they were both somewhere in between, like the rest of the world.
What I do know without a shadow of a doubt, is that I went around for 25 years , asking people everywhere I went, from pool rooms, to church parking lots, to name 3 famous pool players.
Even I was surprised by the results.
Number 1 was Fats, by about 3 or 4 to 1 and almost everyone who said his name said Minnesota Fats!
Mosconi was not even in second place, surprisingly, Greenleaf edged him out , which even shocked me.
Also , many of the Mosconi people, thought his name was Marsconi.
I stopped asking seriously about 1990 or so .
The last time I thought about it, I asked a few people and Jeanette Lee was the new leader by a mile.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The last time I thought about it, I asked a few people and Jeanette Lee was the new leader by a mile.
At work around 2008 the subject of pool players came up and one of my co-workers, a 20-something, knew the Black Widow. He was delighted when I showed up after one Derby City with a signed poster for him.