who makes the best playing cue???

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bluds

After trying tons of different cues - one that I seem to go back to that I think are the best hitting cue, (for me) are old Bludworths. Old meaning when they were made in Houston back in the 80s and early 90s.

thomasfrey1

Registered
For me it would be Morris Custom Cues. Ned makes some really sick, great playing cues. It's all I'll use. I have a couple Morris shooting cues, and now his break/jump to match one of my shooting cues.

dockiv

Registered
I own a lot of cues and have been playing for 40 years. My collector cues are Scruggs..Phillippi..Black Boar and an old Helmstetter....who can say which one of those is the best hitting cue? I bought them for a collection. The cue i take to my "B" rated tournament is a Bludworth (my favorite). Friday night bar tournament I take my Players cue. Quite honestly the way I have my players set up it play's amazing (Phillippi Shaft w Kamui soft tip) if you really like your cue and it play's good for you...who care's what other's think? $50 or $5000 dollars if you like it...use it.

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
Lambros........ Although many of them ended up overseas, when one pops up for sale used they don't last long. There's a reason for that.:thumbup:

Agreed...lambros or mobley equal in my book. Never gotten the chance to try a tascarella but my buddies on the west coast swear by it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

SoniDJ

what's in your wallet
Silver Member
2 pts difference! Cue playabilty is a mental phenomenon for the most part. Too many shaft, tip and playing style variables. I've figured out what I like visually, shaft size and tip, and from there I adjust. Good point you made.
i am 69 years old, first game i ever played i was 5, do the math i have been playing for a LONG time. i also build cues, before i started building cues i was playing with a josswest, i now use a straight grain maple full splice into straight grain maple, no joint rings, maple shaft, wood pin. it plays as good as any cue i have ever had in my hands.
please try to tell me the difference betweem the hit of a 6 point cue and a 8 point cue. i just got to know !!!!!!!

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's easy to find the best playing cue for you, test them and try them out fully if you can. Anyone can tell you what they think is best for you but only you can understand what best for you. I find that as my skill level in the game improves, I have a much better understanding of what works for me and what I consider are best playing for me. I've tested production to high end custom and I can say that finding the right cue for you can be any cue. I've hit with monster playing schon, meucci, falcon and some high end Gus, SW, Bender, Mcworter, etc. I've tested enough cues that I came to the understand that the best playing cue for me is one that give me the most confidence in a game and also the one that can get me in dead stroke easier. There are tons of great playing cues on the market...come down really to the quality of the shaft, tips, balance of the cue and even preference of wrap or no wrap.

I've must have tested and plays with over hundreds of cues. The way I test my cue is to play with it against the ghost. Here's a review and test of 2 of my high end cue (pre-date southwest and a high end bender).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3A3qbOFVSk

If you don't think a high end cue makes a different...try one first is all I can say and maybe you're right and maybe you're not. After testing hundreds of cues, I still feel the one that give me the most confidence and the one that I will use in a death match is my Joel Weinstock custom conversion (modifying the cue myself with an ivory joint..super construction from Joel)....to this day...its still my holy grail of cue (beat the ghost 11-4 with it playing 10-balls). I would highly recommend Joel in OK, if you're looking to have custom cue made to your spec.

Having said that, there are many cues that can be the best cue for anyone. Key is you have to test it out for yourself...try as many cues as you can find and after testing and playing with them all...can you truly said what's best for you.

Last edited:

WolfBreed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as production cues, I think that all companies make a cue that just doesn't quite cut it and some that just seem great. I personally own cues that range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. Yes, my Mezz LE 2000 is, for me, an exceptional cue that just feels right and natural. Everything about it seems to fit my style of play and has never once disappointed me. By the same token, I have a Cuetec Earl Strickland ($125) with and extreme taper wood shaft, that I've never had a problem running a table with. I've always liked McDermott and Joss. Some were great and some weren't worth the trouble of throwing away. Generally speaking, the more it costs, the higher the quality and workmanship. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the higher the cost, the better the cue. I've heard bad things about most cue companies, but I've also known people that use those same cues and can knock the eyes out. I've also seen people with high dollar custom cues that should probably stick with hopscotch.
One of my best friends shoots with a Schon STL-17. Another friend routinely beats him with a Lucasi house cue. I think that if you stay with a known company and find the cue that suits you personally, it's hard to go wrong. Again, I'm speaking strictly of mass production cue companies, not custom cue makers. Either way, even with custom cues, it comes down to you and your game, personally.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
# 1 without a doubt is Rick Howard,Ebony pointed/BEM,ivory joint & ferrule. My 2nd shaft has old micarta ferrule.
Y'all gonna find my next answer silly but for me 2nd would be my old McD D-3 and then my old Meucci Originals Jimmy Rempe JR-1.
The cue I take to bars is a no markings,Schmelke,bocote,true sneaky pete. This sneaky with a LePro tip continues to amaze me !!!

CMB1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is the Black Boar. It took me half the time to complete my drills after shooting with it. I don't really understand why. So now I don't shoot with any other cues. it's quite expensive even for a basic cue, so not many people have a chance to play with it. Just borrow one and try it out. You might fall in love with it like me :)

MalibuMike

Banned
The Best Playing Cue is the Schon STL15, w/ a Tiger Pro-X Shaft, and a G2 (Med)Tip

ok im not knocking esthetics
but if you play and dont care about solid gold inlays etc
who in you opinion makes the best PLAYING cue???

also what specs
Its that simple! No Gina or Schrager, Lambros or Joss even comes close!!!!!!!
This is a Fact.
picture.php

For Breaking its the SAME! The Schon STL15, just with a Mezz Deep Impact Pro II (Ash) Shaft With a Taom Tip.
picture.php

So what are you waiting for?
Order a bunch!
picture.php

Wraps are Stacked Leather by Tiger Products!
picture.php

picture.php

Attachments

• SC.jpg
    SC.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,895

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
The one you play best with. Try every cue you can until you find the one you like. Even changing the tip could make your favorite playing cue no longer your favorite.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote Cuetec, sorry. It's a very very solidly done cue and the R360 has great feel and is LD.
It's cheap enough, they do merry widows - so what else can you ever wish for?

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
Strickland, or Van Boening, hand one of them a cue and it becomes the best playing cue, weird, ain't it