Does the color of chalk matter that much?

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my table clothed in green but cannot find green chalk here, so I have been using blue chalk. It is so messy that I want to change. From a previous table with Camel colored cloth I have 2 1/2 boxes of beige chalk left. Will this chalk color be acceptable for my green table and will it clean up just as easily as blue using the table brush after playing or practicing. I welcome all input and thank you in advance.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You really can't find green chalk. I can name quite a few brands that sell it. Even my brand ;) Only one comes with a full 100% money back guarantee including the shipping though :thumbup:

But, whatever brand you buy, go with green. Why use tan chalk on a green cloth. Just an ugly mess imho. Donate the tan chalk to the senior center, they will love you for it. usually, it's hard to find a decent cube a chalk at most senior centers regardless of the color.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I find green chalk more of an eyesore than blue chalk...even on green cloth.
.....I use blue only.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I find green chalk more of an eyesore than blue chalk...even on green cloth.
.....I use blue only.

So do I, but my customers demanded green. And you have to give the customer want they want. I have olive green cloth but use blue chalk. I could use green chalk, but the blue never really shows anyways.

Folks have asked for tan chalk. Sorry, homey don't play that game :grin:. We will sell you any color of chalk you want, as long as it's Blue or Green ;)

If someone asks for red chalk, I don't even respond. lol

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really can't find green chalk. I can name quite a few brands that sell it. Even my brand ;) Only one comes with a full 100% money back guarantee including the shipping though :thumbup:

But, whatever brand you buy, go with green. Why use tan chalk on a green cloth. Just an ugly mess imho. Donate the tan chalk to the senior center, they will love you for it. usually, it's hard to find a decent cube a chalk at most senior centers regardless of the color.

I really can't find green chalk because I live in Costa Rica and billiard suppliers are few and far between here. Also, the stateside suppliers won't ship here and I'm tired of bothering my friend in SC to purchase things for me and ship them to me. I had a previous table clothed in beige so I have 2 1/2 boxes of beige chalk left so that is why I am asking. Thank you for your response.

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So do I, but my customers demanded green. And you have to give the customer want they want. I have olive green cloth but use blue chalk. I could use green chalk, but the blue never really shows anyways.

Folks have asked for tan chalk. Sorry, homey don't play that game :grin:. We will sell you any color of chalk you want, as long as it's Blue or Green ;)

If someone asks for red chalk, I don't even respond. lol

I really can't find green chalk because I live in Costa Rica and billiard suppliers are few and far between. And stateside suppliers refuse to ship here and I am tired of bothering my friend in SC to order things for me and then ship them - he hates his local PO and I don't blame him. Thanks for your input.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my table clothed in green but cannot find green chalk here, so I have been using blue chalk. It is so messy that I want to change. From a previous table with Camel colored cloth I have 2 1/2 boxes of beige chalk left. Will this chalk color be acceptable for my green table and will it clean up just as easily as blue using the table brush after playing or practicing. I welcome all input and thank you in advance.
For some reason blue chalk (preferably Master) is considered the standard color chalk for either blue or green clothed tables. For some strange reason, blue chalk marks show up less on green cloth than green does, in my opinion. You certainly don't want to use camel colored chalk on your green or blue clothed table, unless you want unsightly camel chalk marks all over the table, which can be hard to brush or vacuum out.

Even worse, NEVER use any other color chalk on a camel or gold clothed table other than camel or gold chalk. Blue or green chalk marks are indeed impossible to get out of camel colored chalk, and generally will be there permanently.

If it's a home table and you don't go through much chalk, I'd strongly suggest Magic Chalk green or blue - available from Seyberts for $7 for a 2-piece pack. It will last a really long time and the amazing thing about Magic chalk is leaves virtually no visible chalk marks on the cloth after playing. It also has been rated as the best chalk on the market for limiting the possibility of miscues.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my experience the wrong color of chalk causes ugly marks on the cloth. I suggest you do your own experiment. Shoot 10 draw shots (draw shots tend to leave a lot of chalk on the cloth) in about the same place on the table with the beige chalk. I would recommend in the kitchen. See if you find the resulting marks offensive.

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some reason blue chalk (preferably Master) is considered the standard color chalk for either blue or green clothed tables. For some strange reason, blue chalk marks show up less on green cloth than green does, in my opinion. You certainly don't want to use camel colored chalk on your green or blue clothed table, unless you want unsightly camel chalk marks all over the table, which can be hard to brush or vacuum out.

Even worse, NEVER use any other color chalk on a camel or gold clothed table other than camel or gold chalk. Blue or green chalk marks are indeed impossible to get out of camel colored chalk, and generally will be there permanently.

If it's a home table and you don't go through much chalk, I'd strongly suggest Magic Chalk green or blue - available from Seyberts for $7 for a 2-piece pack. It will last a really long time and the amazing thing about Magic chalk is leaves virtually no visible chalk marks on the cloth after playing. It also has been rated as the best chalk on the market for limiting the possibility of miscues.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, Seyberts will not ship to Costa Rica so they are not an option for me. I have blue chalk in my home so I guess I will stay with that.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, Seyberts will not ship to Costa Rica so they are not an option for me. I have blue chalk in my home so I guess I will stay with that.

Magic Chalk is sold in Mexico and South America. I don't have any dealers there as not my territory, but i'm sure they can ship to Costa Rica. You're kind right in the middle of both :)

Milkman

Registered
The main benefit to camel colored chalk is that it does not stain the cue shaft, which can help with resale value. I'm sure it's a pain for pool rooms to clean, and I wouldn't personally use it on a table I owned because of the marks on green or blue cloth.

Still, using the same color chalk as the fabric has a downside: the table will become dirtier than it looks (because the chalk is camouflaged) and will play poorly if not cleaned. Chalk marks may be unsightly but they encourage frequent maintenance.

rw843

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use tan or light grey chalk,and keep the blue,or in your case green, off the cue

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
It's not just the /color/ of chalk - but also the brand. Some chalks seem to be much cleaner than others, and leave less of a mess behind. I've seen several threads here on AZB which discuss all the various qualities of different brands - maybe try a search and read through some of them. A lot of it is personal preference, and not everyone really cares what chalk they use. I'm not terribly picky, but I do keep a half dozen of the Magic Chalk around for myself simply because in the long run I tend to like it the best. I haven't done my own review yet mainly because I keep finding new brands to try. Maybe after I try this ridiculously priced Taom and Mezz chalk - I'll give it a shot.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking as someone who plays in a senior center and as descibed faces a typically crappy chalk situation I can say definatively that we would not accept any donations of tan chalk. Thank you.;)

Last edited:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Silver cup light grey....... no mess in your hand. Minimal mess ( easy cleanup) on cloth.
Never looked back

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
I have Simonis 860HR tourney blue with blue diamond chalk on my Gold Crown. Someone change my mind