Does the color of chalk matter that much?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main benefit to camel colored chalk is that it does not stain the cue shaft, which can help with resale value.

I agree that camel/gold and grey chalks keep your shafts looking better. But they are also better for keeping light colored linen wraps from picking up a blue tint.

I have not experimented with chalk brands. Relative to the OP's question, I have found differences between colors of Master chalk regarding ease of providing an even, complete coating of the tip. As much as I like using gold or grey chalk to keep my shafts and wraps looking nice, I prefer the performance benefits of sky blue Master chalk over the other colors.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Silver cup light grey....... no mess in your hand. Minimal mess ( easy cleanup) on cloth.
Never looked back

I feel that Silver Cup is the equivalent of beer company chalk....
....extreme spin equals miscue....:angry:

We have blue and green cloth at our room....grey would not be welcome.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Speaking as someone who plays in a senior center and as descibed faces a typically crappy chalk situation I can say definatively that we would not accept any donations of tan chalk. Thank you.;)

I agree, but id rather have tan chalk than no chalk if those were my only two options ;)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Is ebay an option in Costa Rica? Does cue chalk have a difficult time clearing customs
there?
If you really want to jack up that table order some white chalk, it can be quite messy.

Unless you're sharing chalk with the rest of pool playing Costa Rica, while it might be nice
to have a gross at your disposal what you figure you really need? 1/2 dozen pieces?
That's gotta be available somewhere that you might have access to

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking as someone who plays in a senior center and as descibed faces a typically crappy chalk situation I can say definatively that we would not accept any donations of tan chalk. Thank you.;)

Beggars can't be choosers, dimwit. I'll make the donation somewhere else and then make sure that your Sr. Citizen director knows exactly why I did so. So, please send me contact information for your director, if you can remember to do so.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, but id rather have tan chalk than no chalk if those were my only two options ;)

I knew a guy (RIP)- He played in pool halls as opposed to home and he Always had tan chalk because he didn't want the blue to make his shafts look dirty.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I knew a guy (RIP)- He played in pool halls as opposed to home and he Always had tan chalk because he didn't want the blue to make his shafts look dirty.

Several folks have said that ... probably in this thread, but I'm not reading all through it a second time.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Did he know that you can clean shafts when they get dirty ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I've always wondered why people said their shafts got blue. Mine never have, at least not that you could notice. But I clean mine often.

It's like saying your car gets dirty when you drive it so you don't drive it during rain, snow or through construction zones ;)

It's a piece of sports equipment. you're allowed to clean it. I mean, jeez, I wiped down my baseball bats, oiled by glove, cleaned by cleates, and even washed my uniform when I played baseball. Not that hard ;)

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Some folks like that "badge of honor" dirty look - pantene (sp) I've heard it call (just not sure how to spell it .. lol). I'm with the keep it clean group though.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How selfish is that? He chooses not to dirty up his shaft with blue chalk, but could care less about dirtying up the blue or green cloth on the tables at the poolroom where other players play. Let him try that in our poolroom and see how that works!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
How selfish is that? He chooses not to dirty up his shaft with blue chalk, but could care less about dirtying up the blue or green cloth on the tables at the poolroom where other players play. Let him try that in our poolroom and see how that works!

Ummm ... well. RIP usually means "Rest In Peace", meaning he died. I think his playing days are over - at least here on earth.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Some folks like that "badge of honor" dirty look - pantene (sp) I've heard it call (just not sure how to spell it .. lol). I'm with the keep it clean group though.

Patina....yeah, that’s what my ‘68 Joss looks like....it’s much darker than a new shaft....
...resulting from a lotta blood, sweat, and tears.......and BLUE chalk.

Last edited: