Comments on Poolology

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Stan Shuffett gave me some great advice back in February. He said to make sure I had all of my ducks in a row before presenting any material. Unfortunately, I could not benefit from this wisdom due to the fact that I'd already published the book. :sorry:

These things happen. Gotta roll with it, just like playing pool...even the pros have an occasional miscue or fail to see an obvious mistake until after the fact.

I was wondering how you were going to earn your first million by selling the new and improved fractional aiming system for $10 bucks by way of and Ebook.

The math is simple enough. All you need to do is get 100,000 pool players to purchase it all over the world.

But when I actually saw the math and numbers required to perform the system from the updated diagram, now I know. What you posted is only for 1 rail and there are 6 rails.

It really does require a SECRET DECODER RING! My God! And the SECRET DECODER RING goes for the low, low, introductory price of $149.99!!

Add the $10 buckeroos to the $149.99 and all you need to catapult to the first MILLION bucks would be 6,250 purchasers worldwide! GREAT CONCEPT!
GENIUS!

And like Stan giving you advice up front, I'd like to help also. The SECRET DECODER RING will have to be sent by USPS. Overcharge S&H by $3 buck and you'll make an additional $20k or more. YRMV.:thumbup:

But WAIT! There's more! Throw in a TIN FOIL HAT to go along with the SECRET DECODER RING for $5 bucks and it'll boost your take by over $31,000!!

ACT TODAY!!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was wondering how you were going to earn your first million by selling the new and improved fractional aiming system for $10 bucks by way of and Ebook.

The math is simple enough. All you need to do is get 100,000 pool players to purchase it all over the world.

But when I actually saw the math and numbers required to perform the system from the updated diagram, now I know. What you posted is only for 1 rail and there are 6 rails.

It really does require a SECRET DECODER RING! My God! And the SECRET DECODER RING goes for the low, low, introductory price of $149.99!!

Add the $10 buckeroos to the $149.99 and all you need to catapult to the first MILLION bucks would be 6,250 purchasers worldwide! GREAT CONCEPT!
GENIUS!

And like Stan giving you advice up front, I'd like to help also. The SECRET DECODER RING will have to be sent by USPS. Overcharge S&H by $3 buck and you'll make an additional $20k or more. YRMV.:thumbup:

But WAIT! There's more! Throw in a TIN FOIL HAT to go along with the SECRET DECODER RING for $5 bucks and it'll boost your take by over $31,000!!

ACT TODAY!!

Hmmmm.......Cyndi Lauper comes to mind.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stan Shuffett gave me some great advice back in February. He said to make sure I had all of my ducks in a row before presenting any material. Unfortunately, I could not benefit from this wisdom due to the fact that I'd already published the book. :sorry:

These things happen. Gotta roll with it, just like playing pool...even the pros have an occasional miscue or fail to see an obvious mistake until after the fact.

Thanks for the correction! All early first edition books have mistakes. Thanks for your incite and hard work producing a work that a lot of us can use.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been lurking on this site since there was talk of a kid from SD with hearing aids. I'm not big on systems but poolology does what it's supposed to. It's a coordinates system really. Don't knock it until you actually try it. That being said I feel the same way about CTE. I've never tried it so I will never disparage it. I know some who swear by it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been lurking on this site since there was talk of a kid from SD with hearing aids. I'm not big on systems but poolology does what it's supposed to. It's a coordinates system really. Don't knock it until you actually try it. That being said I feel the same way about CTE. I've never tried it so I will never disparage it. I know some who swear by it.

Whaddaya mean "lurking"? It's only been 14 months since your last post. And you absolutely carpet bombed this place in 2014 and 2015, averaging a post every 4 or 5 days. Yeah, you took a few days off between 2009 and 2014, but "lurking"?

:wink:

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point is I've been coming to this site daily for ages. Just not signed in much. Trying to show I'm not some newbie stopping by to defend poolology. That is all

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point is I've been coming to this site daily for ages. Just not signed in much. Trying to show I'm not some newbie stopping by to defend poolology. That is all

He's just joking with you. Poolology doesn't need defending, anyway. Nobody is saying it doesn't work. I'm still waiting for someone who has tried the system to come out and say they can't do it... It's not going to happen.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
He's just joking with you. Poolology doesn't need defending, anyway. Nobody is saying it doesn't work.

Every aiming system I've ever seen and tried has all worked. Some better than others for each players visual perceptions and willingness to learn and put in the time with them.

I'm still waiting for someone who has tried the system to come out and say they can't do it... It's not going to happen.

The real question is how many CAN DO IT without referring back to the chart or "cheat sheet" to have it completely internalized for all zones and ball positions to be used in actual play without taking a light year for every shot. I know, it takes time. No kidding! It takes time for all of them. And many won't want to go through the process.

:

They can do it by the fractions alone and make a certain percentage of the shots. Fractional aiming has been around a long time. Hal Houle figured it out around 70 years ago and posted the 3 line aiming system on RSB in the 90's. Oh boy, did all the "know every things, Ph.D.'s, mathematicians, engineers, and wise guys" have a field day with what he posted. "IMPOSSIBLE, RIDICULOUS, ABSURD, VOODOO, GARBAGE, and more" they all cried.

Now Brian has resurrected the fractions with ball locations and what was the above with Hal is now the panacea to make balls without missing for all pool players who pick up a cue.

I'm not knocking his system. He did a creative job. Hal solved the problem of the 3 line or fractional aiming system way before any of us were born and it went right along with what he posted and what was blasted from the Science Geeks. It didn't involve ball positions as Brian developed, it involved an OFFSET and a PIVOT using those 3 lines and covered any and all shots from 0 - 90 degrees. Brian's best friend uses the system and it's called SHISHKEBOB which is a "stick aiming method". There is NOTHING more simple and easy to use than this.

Hal also used those 3 lines as the premise for CTE which was a "ball alignment method".

The real question is can all players do it equally as well as Brian himself and have his split second ability to do the math based on ball locations? It will take time and work as with everything.

I guarantee you there will be dropouts for the system who abandon it just like every other one in existence.

Let's take you. Are you going to go from being a feel aimer to a dedicated user of the system each and every shot that comes your way?

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
They can do it by the fractions alone and make a certain percentage of the shots. Fractional aiming has been around a long time.

The real question is can all players do it equally as well as Brian himself and have his split second ability to do the math based on ball locations? It will take time and work as with everything.

I guarantee you there will be dropouts for the system who abandon it just like every other one in existence.

Let's take you. Are you going to go from being a feel aimer to a dedicated user of the system each and every shot that comes your way?

If a player is proficient at hitting the required fractional aim point provided by the system, every shot can be made. Actually the real question is whether or not a system is needed on every shot. I don't think so. I only use it on select shots.

The goal of the system is to provide a shortcut for players to develop a natural feel for pocketing balls, eventually becoming feel/instinct players. One person compared it to training wheels......after a while, as your confidence increases, the wheels are no longer needed. The system at that point becomes a tool that can be used on select shots.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If a player is proficient at hitting the required fractional aim point provided by the system, every shot can be made. Actually the real question is whether or not a system is needed on every shot. I don't think so. I only use it on select shots.

The goal of the system is to provide a shortcut for players to develop a natural feel for pocketing balls, eventually becoming feel/instinct players. One person compared it to training wheels......after a while, as your confidence increases, the wheels are no longer needed. The system at that point becomes a tool that can be used on select shots.

So in other words, if a person who owns handguns gets proficient enough at shooting the gun to hit clearly defined targets accurately by using sight alignments, he's good to go for forgetting about the sights to just draw and shoot by feel.

I own a good number of guns and shoot a lot. NOT ME! It takes the same amount of time to line up the shot with the sights as to not line it up. It's stupid not to use them. The more practice the faster it becomes to get target and sight acquisition.

I damn well know how to play pool by seeing the pocket, balls, and cut angle and then firing from experience to make a high percentage of balls.

But I'm not going to do that with a gun if my life is on the line and shoot from the hip nor am I going to do it when each ball counts because I don't play with hack pool players who I can count on missing to give me another chance.

Use some sense Brian. They SHOULD use your aiming system at all times.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Thanks to a few players who informed me that something was wrong with Zone C back cuts. Initially I thought the trouble was due to user error, but as more questions and comments came in concerning this issue, I knew something had to be wrong. After a thorough review of prep material, I found the mistake. The 20, 40, 60 values on the end rail for Zone C alignments are one diamond off. There was quite a bit of cut and paste involved in redoing the diagrams for PDF, and somehow I mistakenly placed these values one diamond too close to the targeted pocket. This was repeated on every Zone C diagram as well as the main diagram. It was overlooked in the editing/proofreading process.

Please amend the values as shown in this pic. The 20, 40, 60 values should move one diamond to the left, then the 1st diamond from the targeted pocket is 10. I apologize for the mishap and any confusion or frustration it may have caused.

Brian Crist

P.S. If the pic doesn't show, see it here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=2260&pictureid=17064

Brian- You should start a new thread with this info... or contact all who purchased your book.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
So in other words, if a person who owns handguns gets proficient enough at shooting the gun to hit clearly defined targets accurately by using sight alignments, he's good to go for forgetting about the sights to just draw and shoot by feel.

I own a good number of guns and shoot a lot. NOT ME! It takes the same amount of time to line up the shot with the sights as to not line it up. It's stupid not to use them. The more practice the faster it becomes to get target and sight acquisition.

I damn well know how to play pool by seeing the pocket, balls, and cut angle and then firing from experience to make a high percentage of balls.

But I'm not going to do that with a gun if my life is on the line and shoot from the hip nor am I going to do it when each ball counts because I don't play with hack pool players who I can count on missing to give me another chance.

Use some sense Brian. They SHOULD use your aiming system at all times.

Apples to oranges with the gun analogy. I shoot quite often myself, and the two skills (aiming pool shots and aiming a pistol or rifle) are not even remotely similar.

As far as using a system on every shot playing pool ......well, that's up to the individual player. But the more one uses and programs their brain to perform a certain task, the more it develops an auto mode that enables the person to preform without conciously thinking about each exact step in the process. Watch a child put a square block into a square hole. At first it doesn't seem to go, until the block is twisted and the angle manipulated just right. Then the block falls into place. This process is repeated over and over, until eventually the child is able to do it every time with very little twisting and turning of the block. They simply pick it up, look at the orientation of the corners, and drop it right into the hole automatically. When I say the Poolology system is geared toward developing a feel, that's what I'm talking about. And when a player acquires such a feel, systems become secondary.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Is there a reason a computer couldn't show, describe....prove a system does or doesn't do what it should by removing the human element?

I see this video of a shot making robot, but is there more, like one that can play position too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMgQ290NB0

The robot in the video has a long way to go. It could only make close to pocket and close to ball shots.

It also had a terrible stance. Arms far away from the body and too upright for humans. Stroke looked "jabby" also.

Last but not least it didn't brush or sweep the cloth for lint, dust, fly larva, or hot dog bun crumbs from the previous player like JA would do.

Personally, I don't trust the robot for anything.

(nice to see you on the playground playing with us kids too)

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a reason a computer couldn't show, describe....prove a system does or doesn't do what it should by removing the human element?

I see this video of a shot making robot, but is there more, like one that can play position too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMgQ290NB0

Very interesting, and pretty cool. But I believe, without a feel for table and ball condition, and a feel for a touch of spin or speed difference, and without an intuition, that robot would score below an average league player. However, technology is advancing at a rapid pace, so I guess anything can happen.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Apples to oranges with the gun analogy. I shoot quite often myself, and the two skills (aiming pool shots and aiming a pistol or rifle) are not even remotely similar.

I guess we vehemently disagree about this then.

As far as using a system on every shot playing pool ......well, that's up to the individual player. But the more one uses and programs their brain to perform a certain task, the more it develops an auto mode that enables the person to preform without conciously thinking about each exact step in the process. Watch a child put a square block into a square hole. At first it doesn't seem to go, until the block is twisted and the angle manipulated just right. Then the block falls into place. This process is repeated over and over, until eventually the child is able to do it every time with very little twisting and turning of the block. They simply pick it up, look at the orientation of the corners, and drop it right into the hole automatically. When I say the Poolology system is geared toward developing a feel, that's what I'm talking about. And when a player acquires such a feel, systems become secondary.

Maybe you should change the name of your system to the "TRAINING WHEELS AIMING SYSTEM". (does your system even have a name?)

Learn my super duper new Training Wheels Aiming System and in just 3 short weeks we remove the training wheels and you'll never have to use them again.

It's like shooting wing shots. See the ball rolling, see the pocket, get down on the CB and fire. But wait! It's far easier than Wing Shots because the balls are static and not rolling. You can make the same split second decision and be pocketing 93% of all your shots just like the top pro stats in the finals of a big tournament.

Come to think of it, another name for your system could be the "STATIC WING SHOT SYSTEM". See the ball, see the pocket, see the CB and WHAM! It's in!

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel the benefit to Brian's system is when you are in the spots on the table where perception goes wonky. He has a YouTube vid on this. I can recognize a 30 degree angle for the most part, but due to certain layouts it may not look right. My brain is able to recognize which shots aren't "quite right " and only then do I use system

Status
Not open for further replies.