2014 World 9-Ball Championship

BMC361

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone was playing under the same conditions. Karl was the only one doing that
so often. If allowed there should be an allotted number of times other wise people can
abuse this, just as is done with time outs.

I think Boyes was nervous. He was just trying to calm his nerves.:D

c_bruner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the whole streaming set up is by far top notch... couldn't ask for a better world championship coverage

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the draw most Filipinos are in the top half and only two are in the bottom. I guess no Filipino will be a champion this year. I think most likely from Euro again.

That only means higher chsnces of least 1 Filipino will get into final

Karl is under fire from people who have never played in te conditons that he had to endure.
Have you ever tried playing in Qatar. The heat is intense - it was 120 degrees in the shade. This causes high levels of humidity which affect the performance of the balls, the cloth and the cue and the cloth.
With such a lot at stake Karl was only being cautious

Oh so other 126 players were playing in another venue ? LOL

I think Boyes was nervous. He was just trying to calm his nerves.:D
I doubt he would pull such a stunt if Michaela Tabb was the ref :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've seen at least a couple of the players wearing long sleeves or sweaters (SVB and Efren included). That makes me think that the room is well air conditioned, and air conditioners also dehumidify. I am ignorant of the humidity level in that facility, but I wouldn't assume it is high (or low or medium!).

They probably have a quality climate control system....
....but many venues don't know how to use it.

If they turn the air off at night, the system never catches up in the day...
....it could be 68 degrees by match time, but the humidity will be high.

...not the first venue that has done it

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop all the bullshits seriously, the guy got a kick ealier in the match, he's playing his WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, the match down to hill hill and he had a opening. What you do in his position playing for your world champion dream knowing that it can be screwed by a kick. And it's HIS TURN to play so what the fack you guys talking about sharking, those filiphinos cheerleaders making noise, efren using his phone, are those moves considered as sharking ?

Johnny Archer once said to Earl :" Do whatever you want when you are at the table, now it's my turn so you shut the f*** up and let me play".

And I forgot the most important thing, Efren didn't say anything, only those railbirds and keyboard champions are the ones who start this BS.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Stop all the bullshits seriously, the guy got a kick ealier in the match, he's playing his WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, the match down to hill hill and he had a opening. What you do in his position playing for your world champion dream knowing that it can be screwed by a kick. And it's HIS TURN to play so what the fack you guys talking about sharking, those filiphinos cheerleaders making noise, efren using his phone, are those moves considered as sharking ?

Johnny Archer once said to Earl :" Do whatever you want when you are at the table, now it's my turn so you shut the f*** up and let me play".

And I forgot the most important thing, Efren didn't say anything, only those railbirds and keyboard champions are the ones who start this BS.

before the match even started, i already know that efren had a lesser chance of winning - Karl is a young world champion on top shape, playing his only chance to be in the last-64. efren had an unfortunate miss on the 9. karl won fair-n-square.
people were just wondering why he had to ask for the ball to be cleaned very frequently. a lot of people think that most of the time, it was unnecessary.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

At last, someone who finally understands the need for a player to have confidence in the equipment that he is working with.
Air conditioning units can be controlled to a degree for human comfort. But mixing them with dehumidifiers can play havoc with the equipment. Karl was just giving himself the best chance to win what could prove to be a very important match. Otherwise, why just not bother to wipe down or chalk his cue at all. Just leave things to chance.
His playing record over the past five years puts him in the world's elite and you don't get there by being sloppy.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK the show on and they are rock and rolling
No mercy, no second chances. Each of the 64 have to bring their A++ game or they are out.

http://live.qbsf.qa/en/qbsf
First session is now 11am local time (4am EST). 8 matches playing and these are the picks of this session

Wang Can v Kiamco Table 1 (young fearless kid vs the old dog veteran)
Faraon v Cheng Chieh Table 3 (2 upstart qualifiers from stage 1)
Appleton vs Daryl Peach Table 9 (2 World champs)
:grin-square:

Go Go Go

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Lo is from Taiwan but he lives in mainland Japan now.

I know, usually he plays under the Japanese flag, but for the stream in the last round he was playing under the Taiwanese flag and the bracket has him listed under Japan. Its a little confusing.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Holy crap Daz is currently putting a world class beat down on Darryl Peach (9-2). Based on stuff he's posted on social media Darren has a ton of confidence this week and it's showing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know, usually he plays under the Japanese flag, but for the stream in the last round he was playing under the Taiwanese flag and the bracket has him listed under Japan. Its a little confusing.

He's originally a tawainese, he married to a japanese and moved to Japan with her. I suppose he never changes his nationality, maybe he represented Japan in some events but ultimately in the World Champion they look for his nationality.
Anyway. can anybody tell me the result of the 1st 8 matchs ? thank you.

PoloBob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little interesting pool my buddies and I put together. Cheap $20 buy in, pick any 5 players in the final bracket. Earn 1 pt for each match their players win. Whoever has the most points at the end of the tournament, or by the time all of the chosen players are eliminated wins the pot.

Not really any easy choices.

Me - Can Wang, J Chua, Ko, Lo Li Wen, and Ralf

Brake - Daz, Gabica, Orcollo, SVB, and Toasty

Gweet - Daz, Hybler, Jiaqing, Kiamco, and SVB

Rob - Alex, Gabica, Mika, Naoyuki, and SVB

I'm just really excited about how well the streams are. This world class event really is a treat.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis down 8-3. About to tie it up 9-9. (8-9 and breaking)

Edit: Or not. (10-8 Naoyuki breaking)

Race to 11

Crazy tournament.

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
A little interesting pool my buddies and I put together. Cheap $20 buy in, pick any 5 players in the final bracket. Earn 1 pt for each match their players win. Whoever has the most points at the end of the tournament, or by the time all of the chosen players are eliminated wins the pot.

Not really any easy choices.

Me - Can Wang, J Chua, Ko, Lo Li Wen, and Ralf

Brake - Daz, Gabica, Orcollo, SVB, and Toasty

Gweet - Daz, Hybler, Jiaqing, Kiamco, and SVB

Rob - Alex, Gabica, Mika, Naoyuki, and SVB

I'm just really excited about how well the streams are. This world class event really is a treat.

Nobody wanted Biado?

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
He's originally a tawainese, he married to a japanese and moved to Japan with her. I suppose he never changes his nationality, maybe he represented Japan in some events but ultimately in the World Champion they look for his nationality.
Anyway. can anybody tell me the result of the 1st 8 matchs ? thank you.

I'm fairly sure he is still a Taiwanese national because Japanese citizenship is very difficult to obtain for foreigners, but I believe he has represented Japan before in previous wpa events, if not the wpc. It could be due to passport/visa reasons.