2014 World 9-Ball Championship

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I hope Niels remembers...I was the first to congratulate him on his win of the 2014 World Championships!

I a very happy for him.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I reckon Niels was the only true long established World Class player whose name was missing from the the roster of World 9 Ball Champions.
I am not disrespecting Shane who is a truly American Class Player. But sooner or later he is going to run out of opponents for his marathon encounters.
Ralf Souquet said during commentary of the final that Race to 11 is a long race.
So maybe Shane should start tailoring his game towards shorter races. Nobody really cares if he beats X, Y or Z for X amount of dollars. Major international titles are the only currency in pro pool.

I agree. Shane is a world class player, but has a ways to go yet. He has the correct work ethic and desire. Something too few Americans have today. One day he will win a World Champion title. But he's not quite ready to yet. And, I say that being one of his biggest fans. Great person, great work ethic.

One big thing I noticed in his last few matches in the worlds- when he played Tohru, he was on fire. Very confident, and just fantastic cb control and shotmaking. (he was ahead) Then, when he played Yu Lung, he started out behind, and had trouble dealing with that mentally. It showed up big time in his demeanor. And, he missed a few shots because of it. Almost a "well, I lost this match" attitude. He has trained himself enough that he is able to bring himself out of that mode when he gets a chance later on, but he has to learn to not even get in that mode to start with.

I've seen that attitude in him in every match he gets down in. And it always costs him a game or two. He has to learn to not let being down in a match get to him so quickly. I think that when he does learn that, he will be at the top.

Problem is, he is so used to winning over here, that it becomes hard for him to get used to being down a ways and still coming back with everything he has. He watches the score too much. If he can't get the regular competition here, and he really wants the tourney titles, he pretty much has to move overseas for a year or so and get in regular heavy competition.

Being the best isn't about who can outlast who. It is about getting it done when you need to get it done. Whether that be a short race to 7, or a longer race to 11 or 13. You have to make the most of what little opportunities you do get, and not rely on what you can eventually bring later in the match, which is what happens in very long races to 50-100.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I hope Niels remembers...I was the first to congratulate him on his win of the 2014 World Championships!

I a very happy for him.

I watched the presentation ceremony. Was rather dissapointed that out of about 130 players in it, not a one came up to him afterwards to congratulate him.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can the replay be viewed? Do you have to sign into the site?

It will take a little while for them to get it up, But if you go to watch it just like you did for the matches, there are some matches already up. Just scroll down and you will see them.

edit, actually, it's already up!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Parica and I did play in Baton Rouge at Lamberts BIlliards

Thanks, Jay, you are always the voice of encouragement.

By the way, who is "Jose"? ;)

Actually Parica and I did play in Baton Rouge (at Lamberts BIlliards where "Fly Boy" was gambling so high) when he was 50.

All I can tell you CJ is to play all the pool you can right now, while you're still strong and have the eyes and endurance to do it. Come your 50's and things will start to get tougher, a lot tougher! Lassiter was still the king well into his late 40's and even early 50's. Buddy and Parica are two others who stayed on top into their 50's. NO ONE wanted any part of Jose at age 50! Not even you sir. :cool:

[/QUOTE]

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't pay no damn bills with a title though.

Ask gable Owen and John Schmidt which 'currency' they'd rather have and I think they'd both say:

the belt just holds up your pants

Most gamblers are busted most of their lives and die broke. If they win it here, they lose it there.

Last edited:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
I reckon Niels was the only true long established World Class player whose name was missing from the the roster of World 9 Ball Champions.
I am not disrespecting Shane who is a truly American Class Player. But sooner or later he is going to run out of opponents for his marathon encounters.
Ralf Souquet said during commentary of the final that Race to 11 is a long race.
So maybe Shane should start tailoring his game towards shorter races. Nobody really cares if he beats X, Y or Z for X amount of dollars. Major international titles are the only currency in pro pool.

lmao, yeah that's real good currency. I'd have to take the rest of the year off and give back $50,000 to make as much as the winner did.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those of you who watched the final were treated to quite few pearls of wusdom by Ralf who was in the booth with Ted Lerner. The money is not important in this match. The money will go but the title is forever or something along those lines. That was one that I liked.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Albin tried his heart out missing the five was criminal. He is so young and certainly only going to get better.

He is not that young. He was in the World Junior Championships in the same year as Wu Chia Ching, John Morra, and Jason Klatt. Wu Yu Lun won that year, I think he won three World Juniors. That was back in 2005.Wu Yu Lun drilled Albin that year, Chia Ching slaughtered John Morra,"and then Yu Lun beat Chia Ching in the final. It is amazing we never really saw much of Yu Lun in the pros, he was shooting pro level pool at 16 years old similar to Chia Ching was.

In many ways these guys are in their prime atm,"many players fade quickly after they hit their mid-30's.

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is not that young. He was in the World Junior Championships in the same year as Wu Chia Ching, John Morra, and Jason Klatt. Wu Yu Lun won that year, I think he won three World Juniors. That was back in 2005.Wu Yu Lun drilled Albin that year, Chia Ching slaughtered John Morra,"and then Yu Lun beat Chia Ching in the final. It is amazing we never really saw much of Yu Lun in the pros, he was shooting pro level pool at 16 years old similar to Chia Ching was.

In many ways these guys are in their prime atm,"many players fade quickly after they hit their mid-30's.

Wu Yu Lun was regards as the most talented player in Taiwan according to someone i spoke to in TW. He is like the Ronnie O'Sullivan of pool. Saw him playing last year on a super tight table last year in TW. He broke and ran with ease. Pleasure to watch. On the same token Yang was regard as the one with most fire power when he was at his peak.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes Wu Yu Lun was simply awesome player. He beat Chia Ching regularly in juniors but Chia Ching decided to win World 9B instead LOL Yu Lun was converted to play snooker and after seldom heard of. If he continued in pool he would be at least Wu or Ko's level now. So another talent lost.
Member vincentwu said Yu Lun was converted to snooker easily cos he did not go thru the standard pool program.
Young players these days have more options. Ko is doing part time degree so in another 5 years or so when he is in 30s he may move on to another career. Wu is based in China and his eyes are open to opportunities- women's pool in China is growth fast so he gets into coaching and trains someone like Chen Siming. These young players are not going to play pool forever when there is no big money, they look for backup career plans when they hit 30s. It is a world new world and different breed of young players.

Wu Yu Lun was regards as the most talented player in Taiwan according to someone i spoke to in TW. He is like the Ronnie O'Sullivan of pool. Saw him playing last year on a super tight table last year in TW. He broke and ran with ease. Pleasure to watch. On the same token Yang was regard as the one with most fire power when he was at his peak.

Yang is a beast easily one of the best or the best 9 ball player in his prime. He can get out of racks that probably only Efren can get out of and that Shane cannot get out of . A complete all round player.
The Guiness Asian tour was his main source of income and after they shut down the tour 5 to 6 years ago , he more or less disappeared and played less tourneys. Guinness Asian tour was great with few regional stops in Asia few hours away and he does not have to travel far and they paid great money
Last I heard, Yang goes fishing. So the joke is it is reversal for the 2 money game kings- Yang and Orcullo. Orcullo was fisherman who became pool player while Yang was a pool player who became a fisherman LOL

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i would have loved a gabica-chang yu lung semifinals match, if only gabica won the last rack of his match against albin.