My current top 15 rotation players

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys seriously have no clue about pool... It's hilarious. I'm not going to hate on anyone but I promise you 5 of those players aren't in the top 50 lol. I don't know how you guys get your in for or statistics but most of the major events you can't as big wins are soft fields and races to 5/7... Oh and they play 3 a month lol... We have harder and better paying tournaments that nobody even counts. So some guy Joe Blow wins the ESPN challenge of champions race to 5 and he won hill hill every match, made the 9 ball on the break 3 times a set, half of the people will say he's def one of the best. Just don't know how some people can honestly say that it's AMAZING... I guess maybe bias like if a player is from your area you will just automocally say he's better than a guy.

None of those players are from my area and I'm no professional or anything that list was simply MY opinion based on what I see with my eyes. I'd love to know the 5 people on that list not in the top 50, I honestly feel like that statement is a bit ridiculous but to each their own.

For what it's worth I am a huge fan of Bergman and Sky but how does someone expect to be considered a top player if they never travel or win major tournaments? If Bergman played in more tournaments he would def be in there imo and Sky's damn close to getting there.

Last edited:

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. He may be the next big one.

Have you seen his more recent matches, though? It seems he packed on about 20 pounds and his game is a lot more erratic, not the quality we're used to from him. At least in the more recent videos I'm seeing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oscar said he thinks Jeffrey DeLuna might be the best out of all the Pinoy players i know he has a killer 10 ball break.

I knew I was leaving someone out. Jeff is Tier One and yes he has a break to match Shane. He isn't looking to match up with Dennis or Alex though. :wink:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
For what it is worth this is the top 16 players by Fargorate.

This list is probably as valid as any other.

Went to 16 because of the tie in rating.

Jiaqing Wu CHN 830
Shane Van Boening USA 820
Dennis Orcollo PHL 813
Jayson Shaw GBR 812
Pin Yi Ko TPE 811
Jung Lin Chang TPE 811
Niels Feijen NED 809
Carlo Biado PHI 808
Ping Chung Ko TPE 802
Alex Pagulayan CAN 802
Haitao Liu CHN 801
Francisco Sanchez Ruiz ESP 800
Lee Vann Corteza PHI7 98
Joshua Filler GER 797
Justin Bergman USA 797
Francisco Bustamante PHI 797

None of those players are from my area and I'm no professional or anything that list was simply MY opinion based on what I see with my eyes. I'd love to know the 5 people on that list not in the top 50, I honestly feel like that statement is a bit ridiculous but to each their own.

For what it's worth I am a huge fan of Bergman and Sky but how does someone expect to be considered a top player if they never travel or win major tournaments? If Bergman played in more tournaments he would def be in there imo and Sky's damn close to getting there.

I find it significant that JBerg makes the list when it's based on performance rather than
opinion....all the more so when the fact that he hasn't had a lot of international finishes
to pump up his standings is considered.

I also find it significant that number two on the Fargo list has no world titles.....
...but nobody is beating a path to his door to play him rotation.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we're talking about Filipinos... no love for Jeffrey Ignacio? True, he may not be winning much in terms of tournaments, but, boy, have you seen him play?

I also believe he's a future world champion. I really like his pace when he shoots. He's the Filipino Jason Shaw, fast and fearless.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samnylane funny... You have no clue about pool. Stick to reading on the Internet and let me play. I'm not saying I am one of the best players but I'll bet you don't know shit about pool.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played US Open 3 times, never played a World 9 Ball why would I? They have tournaments in Missouri that pay better than the World 9 ball and you don't have to go to Qatar to play. The qualifiers for the World is harder than the actual tournament. But you're pool expert & know everything

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samnylane funny... You have no clue about pool. Stick to reading on the Internet and let me play. I'm not saying I am one of the best players but I'll bet you don't know shit about pool.

You should say you're one of the best players because you are. After Shane, you're the best American rotation player and certainly have a decent chance against any one you play

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks West Coast I appreciate it. I just don't like when people act like they know what's going and have no clue. It's like me telling a car mechanic how to fix my car when I have no clue and arguing about it. Some people just don't listen... I promise I listen more because I like learning. Some people just like to be right & think they know everything. Big problem for me is I don't go to enough tournaments because 95 percent aren't worth going to, races to 7, 9, or 11 don't really like it for me I feel I'm a little slow starter and don't have a great break, and it's so much luck at the pro level. You can lose to someone that you're 3 speeds above very easily...Race to 9 playing 9 or 10 ball is like playing 3 holes of golf or like a tennis math first one to 5 points wins the whole set... Maybe even a bigger joke than that since at least in tennis you have a chance to defend every point... Pool a guy breaks gets easy outs his 5 breaks, then you hang the 10 ball or dry beak or make 4 balls and have no shot.. Well he can miss 5 times and you play perfect and lose... Race to 21 or 30 or 80 it will even out for the most part.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks West Coast I appreciate it. I just don't like when people act like they know what's going and have no clue. It's like me telling a car mechanic how to fix my car when I have no clue and arguing about it. Some people just don't listen... I promise I listen more because I like learning. Some people just like to be right & think they know everything. Big problem for me is I don't go to enough tournaments because 95 percent aren't worth going to, races to 7, 9, or 11 don't really like it for me I feel I'm a little slow starter and don't have a great break, and it's so much luck at the pro level. You can lose to someone that you're 3 speeds above very easily...Race to 9 playing 9 or 10 ball is like playing 3 holes of golf or like a tennis math first one to 5 points wins the whole set... Maybe even a bigger joke than that since at least in tennis you have a chance to defend every point... Pool a guy breaks gets easy outs his 5 breaks, then you hang the 10 ball or dry beak or make 4 balls and have no shot.. Well he can miss 5 times and you play perfect and lose... Race to 21 or 30 or 80 it will even out for the most part.

I keep hearing about the short races , yet the upper level players fade the luck factor and finish high on a pretty consistent level in big events ,,

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been going to pro tournaments for over forty years and all I can say is that playing Races to Eleven always weeds out the best players. By the time it got down to the final eight, there were no shortstops left and the top players seemed to always win.

My generation was dominated by Mike Sigel, Buddy Hall, Nick Varner and Steve Mizerak until Earl, Efren and Parica came along. The next group of contenders included Kim Davenport, David Howard, Wade Crane, Jim Rempe and Allen Hopkins. There were other good players like Danny Medina, Billy Incardona, Jimmy Reid, Louie Roberts, Jim Fusco, Jeff Carter, Hawaiian Brian, Keith (when he played), Jimmy Mataya, Mike Massey and Jay Swanson but they rarely won any tournaments, being content with a top five or ten finish. The winning player almost always came from the elite group of players. Notice all the top players were American, until the Philippine invasion began.

There were no super long challenge matches back then, but there were definitely money games at every tournament. Most money games were either a Race to Eleven, or if it was really big money they might play Ten Ahead. I suspect Justin Bergman would do well in the latter type of match because you really have to beat someone to win. It can take fifty or one hundred games to get there!

The big ring games were almost always Ten Ball and that was the only time you saw Ten Ball played for the most part. Just a little historical perspective.
Of course One Pocket was equally popular for money games and the best players needed to be able to play both.

P.S. In the 70's and 80's the first prize in most large tournaments was $10,000 with a few paying $15-25,000! That was serious money back then! Doesn't look like we've progressed very far in this country. Maybe that's why we don't have many of the top players anymore. The big money events are almost all overseas now.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JBerg- lots of people know you are a solid dude and a great player, but dont say it.

It has been proven MANY times that humans are more likely to share negative opinions than positive ones. Whatcha gonna do?

Dont sweat the little shit.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played US Open 3 times, never played a World 9 Ball why would I? They have tournaments in Missouri that pay better than the World 9 ball and you don't have to go to Qatar to play. The qualifiers for the World is harder than the actual tournament. But you're pool expert & know everything

I agree 100% and I wasn't knocking you by any means I was just basing my list on players that seem to be at every tournament nowadays. It is just not worth it to travel and play pool in today's day and age. My best friend Shorty is a mid level pro and he refuses to travel to tournaments now too. If it is a local tournament he will play other wise he stays home.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah for sure.. I know Shorty I think. Tom D? He plays good and would probably beat half the "pros" that are in the top 20 U.S. Mosconi Cup points list.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah for sure.. I know Shorty I think. Tom D? He plays good and would probably beat half the "pros" that are in the top 20 U.S. Mosconi Cup points list.

Yea that's him, Tom D'Alfonso. He just can't survive with all the travel expenses, he is lucky to break even on most trips.He tells me all the time it just ain't worth it and he is like you he wants to play all day not 1 short set.