A.E. Schmidt Co. Cue

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measure the diameter and depth of the hole, I have a bunch of old cueS that have that style. If I can find one the same I'll send it to you.

The measurements and pictures of the bumper hole are in this link.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=379356&highlight=Schmidt+bumper

If you have one, I'll be glad to pay you for it. My son lives near the base at Warrensburg and is coming to Hawaii on the 13th. Maybe it would be easier to mail it to him and he can bring it when he comes.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO when you locate a bumper I would use a little rubber cement on it. It won't harm the cue or bumper and will peel off easily if you should need to clean it up for any reason. If/when they shrink with age they sometimes simply come out too easily.

I have an old Gandy that somebody drilled and tapped the weight bolt for a bumper screw. Exact same weight bolt as my other Gandy which is not tapped. These cues were originally offered bumperless.

I have been told it may have been done by Gandy as an option, and I have been told it was not. I don't really know, but the bumper and screw were on it when I got it so they are staying.

Just a little story about a similar era bumper issue. I wouldn't suggest you drill and tap yours of course.

I'll be posting pics of those two Gandy cues soon. Your cue was one of the cues that inspired me to acquire my two Gandy cues. Same era, similar style. Got two original shafts with each. Of course, I don't have the history with them that you have with yours.

I love this thread. :thumbup:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A. E. Schmidt Is Back In Town

All shined up and ready. Picture quality isn't the greatest. Had to resize them on my cell phone to make them upload here. Will add better ones when I get the chance. Just got it back in the mail today.

The top shaft is the new 14mm, 12" taper I had Scot make for it...the "log".

The cue was totally refinished. I had the shafts stripped, sealed and refinished, the butt was refinished, a new wrap, and a rubber bumper. I had him reface all the shafts and the joint to make sure everything was perfectly aligned. There was nothing really wrong with it to fix except for a loose butt cap, but I wanted it back in new condition.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1470530148203.jpg
    PicsArt_1470530148203.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another. Will do some better ones when I get on my computer. It doesn't look too bad to be 43 years old.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1470532194818.jpg
    PicsArt_1470532194818.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 387

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is quite cumbersome uploading from my phone. All my pictures are way too big to add here and I have to keep resizing them. I never know if they will fit until I actually upload them.

I still don't know what kind of wood this is. I forgot to ask Scot if he knew.

I will give it a trial run tomorrow when I go to Hawaiian Brian's to bang around on my once a week session.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1470532554381.jpg
    PicsArt_1470532554381.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful. I am wondering why you chose the different collar on the new shaft. No stainless ring?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful. I am wondering why you chose the different collar on the new shaft. No stainless ring?

I wanted to see the difference in hit and since I was making the shaft at 14mm, I didn't want to add a bunch of extra weight to the front end.

The cue looks the same with all the shafts...the only difference is the joint looks longer when you put the steel collar shafts on it.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please do let us know about that. I am curious.

I just did a quick balance point check using my finger and the shaft with no steel collar balance point is about 2 1/2 inches above the wrap.

When I put one of the shafts with the steel collar on it, the balance point moves about an inch down from that point, towards the wrap, even though those shafts are less than 13mm.

I think if I had put a steel collar on the 14mm shaft it would have been a lot heavier forward.

I don't know how the Sherbine shaft hits yet, but he sure did a good job making it. It fits perfect and is super-dooper smooth and slippery.

Last edited:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
This is quite cumbersome uploading from my phone. All my pictures are way too big to add here and I have to keep resizing them. I never know if they will fit until I actually upload them.

I still don't know what kind of wood this is. I forgot to ask Scot if he knew.

I will give it a trial run tomorrow when I go to Hawaiian Brian's to bang around on my once a week session.

You can use Tapatalk and they will host the files for you and you can post full sized files.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did a quick balance point check using my finger and the shaft with no steel collar balance point is about 2 1/2 inches above the wrap.

When I put one of the shafts with the steel collar on it, the balance point moves about an inch down from that point, towards the wrap, even though those shafts are less than 13mm.

I think if I had put a steel collar on the 14mm shaft it would have been a lot heavier forward.

I don't know how the Sherbine shaft hits yet, but he sure did a good job making it. It fits perfect and is super-dooper smooth and slippery.

I figured it would balance different with that baseball bat screwed to it! :thumbup::D

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today is the first day I've actually put a hour so of time on the 14mm Elephant Gun shaft. This baby plays real nice and it is as smooth as a new baby's ass.

I was hitting the balls pretty good today before I switched up to this cue and shaft so I didn't really notice a bunch of difference in deflection between this setup and the other cue I was playing with first. I started out with my Pancerny Titlist with a 314-2 FAT shaft and then went to this Titlist with the Elephant Gun shaft.

I try to stay just inside center on most of my shots and this 14mm has a wide sweet spot that gives you a "solid" "weighty" feel when you hit the ball. It allows you to feel the weight of the cue ball, which, to me, makes the cue ball easier to control.

It has a Le Pro tip on it and it seems to be a pretty good one, so far. It isn't too soft, nor too hard...it is a medium feel. I don't like spongy hits and I don't like pingy hits. I like tips that don't put a lot of unintended English on the ball.

For a first run, it was a lot of fun to play with. I'm sure it will take a bit of adjusting to figure out all its pluses and minuses, but I am glad I had it made. For my closed bridge style, the 14mm is the perfect size for me. I don't have big hands, but I grew up with and played with a 14mm shaft for more than 40 years, so going back to one feels good.

If anybody is going to have a solid maple shaft built, I'd definitely recommend Scot Sherbine. The wood is this shaft is top shelf and the taper is perfect.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dig this cue, and the story.

This thread is a year old now and I am wondering if you have had the old girl out to play any more.

:smile:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good story and a very nice cue. I grew up in St. Louis and loved to go and visit A E Schmidt co. It was like going to toyland as a teenager. I bought 1 A E Schmidt cue and a McDermott. They were both similar and I believe played quite well.

I really like your cue, better than either of mine. Enjoy.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dig this cue, and the story.

This thread is a year old now and I am wondering if you have had the old girl out to play any more.

:smile:

I took it out a month or so back and hit some balls with it. It looks so new and shiny I hesitate to "bang it up"...LOL.

The rubber bumper isn't exactly the right fit and it tends to pop out sometimes. The little nipple on the bottom of it is too long and it doesn't allow the base of the bumper to sit flush on the butt cap. I "whittled" it down a bit with a razor knife but it was too flexible and I quit before I sliced one of my fingers off. :) Maybe I will put it in the freezer to harden it up some before I attempt another "MacGyver" on it. If I get it down to where it fits real nice, I'm going to put a spot of rubber cement on it to hold it in.

Brian's just ripped out their carpet a few months back and the floor is cement. I want to get the bumper attached snugly before I get careless and crack the butt cap on the floor if the bumper comes out without me noticing it.

The "flashy" red gets some attention at the pool hall. Looks like the tail lights on one of those old 1950's Buicks or Cadillacs. :)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you had it out a bit.

I figured that bumper wouldn't want to stay. You'll get it to.

I would be a little worried about banging up the cue too. But it ain't the Mona Lisa...play it if you feel like it. :wink:

The mid-sixties Viking Titlist conversion I just landed is red, it reminded me of your cue, that's why I dig up this thread.

I do dig the old ones... http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5997151&postcount=10