Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Looking for a straight pool score counter
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Looking for a straight pool score counter
Old
  (#1)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Looking for a straight pool score counter - 08-21-2009, 10:45 AM

It seems to me I saw one on the internet a while back that's exactly what I want. Essentially it is exactly like the counters on the GC1 - GC3 except it is a box that sits on a table top or mounts to the wall. Naturally, now that I'm ready to order I can't find it to save my life.

Anyone know where to get one of these, or have suggestions on something else that works well for straight pool? Beads and the sliding scoreboard thing aren't what I'm looking for because you can't keep track of both the rack and total scores.

Thanks.

DPP

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Last edited by DogsPlayingPool; 08-21-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Old
  (#2)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2009, 12:34 PM

You could pick up these ....
http://www.poolndarts.com/p-5939-Ant...Score-Counter/

and then simply rabbit out a slot in a block of wood, stain it and save a bunch of cash probably as well.

Old
  (#3)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3andstop View Post
You could pick up these ....
http://www.poolndarts.com/p-5939-Ant...Score-Counter/

and then simply rabbit out a slot in a block of wood, stain it and save a bunch of cash probably as well.
Yeah, thanks for that. Seybert's has the same thing for a couple bucks less actually: http://www.seyberts.com/products/Rai...ter-345-0.html

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe just improvise and make my own. Should be no biggie.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#4)
BigRigTom
APA 9 Ball 7 & 8 Ball 6!
BigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond reputeBigRigTom has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to BigRigTom Send a message via Yahoo to BigRigTom  
08-21-2009, 04:51 PM

That is actually a good idea. You could route a couple of slots in a nice chunk of wood drop two counters in and have a 4 reel counter sitting on the table.
Any spectator could easily keep score on a match.

I might try that my self.
Thx

Life is Great especially when you consider the other option!
Playing Cue : Viking VX 10 19.5 oz.
Break Cue: Scorpion SCO30 19.0 oz. with Phenolic Tip

The Bat Forum = A Billiards and Trucking Related Discussion Forum & it's Free to all!

www.BigRigToys.com
www.TruckLoadMatch.com
http://bigrigtom.blogspot.com

Old
  (#5)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"

08-21-2009, 06:43 PM

FOUND IT! At Classic Billiards:

Name:  14.1 counter.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  5.3 KB

A little pricey at $85 shipped. And because the box is on an angle it would work well on a counter top but probably not wall mounted.

A may go to plan B and roll my own, but at least I know this is available. Heck, my table's in the garage, how pretty does this have to be?

Oh yeah, here's the link (scroll down the page): http://www.classicbilliards.net/html...ccessories.cfm
BTW, I've done some business with Ken at Classic recently, he's a good guy. An especially good resource for pool table parts and fasteners.

Last edited by DogsPlayingPool; 08-21-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Old
  (#6)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

08-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
It seems to me I saw one on the internet a while back that's exactly what I want. Essentially it is exactly like the counters on the GC1 - GC3 except it is a box that sits on a table top or mounts to the wall. Naturally, now that I'm ready to order I can't find it to save my life.

Anyone know where to get one of these, or have suggestions on something else that works well for straight pool? Beads and the sliding scoreboard thing aren't what I'm looking for because you can't keep track of both the rack and total scores.

Thanks.

DPP
+

I kin count to a hunert an fitty..... I work for beer!!

td

Me too...
Old
  (#7)
dkindig
AzB Silver Member
dkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond repute

Me too... - 08-21-2009, 09:41 PM

I have been wrestling with this issue too, and had just about settled on rabbetting one or two of the counters from Seyberts into my cue rack.

My problem is that I like to keep track of rack score, fouls and the cumulative score.

I've just about decided that I'm going to do a small blackboard with 3 columns per player/team and hang that on the wall.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Old
  (#8)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"

08-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
I have been wrestling with this issue too, and had just about settled on rabbetting one or two of the counters from Seyberts into my cue rack.

My problem is that I like to keep track of rack score, fouls and the cumulative score.

I've just about decided that I'm going to do a small blackboard with 3 columns per player/team and hang that on the wall.

Anybody else have any suggestions?
I'm not sure what you mean about keeping track of fouls unless you're referring to consecutive fouls. I've always just taken fouls/scratches off the total score; that way the rack score stays correct. I've never had a problem just making a mental note of consecutive fouls - especially if my opponent goes on 3.

Old
  (#9)
nasc
AzB Silver Member
nasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond reputenasc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about keeping track of fouls unless you're referring to consecutive fouls. I've always just taken fouls/scratches off the total score; that way the rack score stays correct. I've never had a problem just making a mental note of consecutive fouls - especially if my opponent goes on 3.
Better warn him that he is on two (LOL).

Glen

Old
  (#10)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

08-22-2009, 03:29 AM

You could get a simple pitch counter. It could actually be part of the pre shot routine.

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#11)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"

08-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Problem with the pitch counter is keeping track of both the rack and the total.

Old
  (#12)
Rich93
A Small Time Charlie
Rich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-22-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
.... Beads and the sliding scoreboard thing aren't what I'm looking for because you can't keep track of both the rack and total scores.
DPP
We use beads at our league and, just for the record, you CAN keep track of both the rack and the total score.

On any rack after the first, you keep the rack score by keeping those beads separate from the cumulative beads scored on earlier racks. In other words, don't slide the rack beads over all the way. You manage the rack beads to keep an accurate count for the rack and at the end of the rack they should add up to 14.

When you score 5 balls and then scratch, for example, you slide over 4 beads from one side and 1 bead from the other so that the rack count is 5 but you've only progressed by 4 points. If you scratch in the first rack, you separate one bead at the end (say, the 50th bead) and then at the end of the rack you take that point off.

It sounds a little complicated to put in words, maybe, but it isn't in practice. I much prefer beads to a counter. If there are any spectators, they can follow the score easily.

Name: Rich Klein
Cue: Ray Schuler (1983)
Cases: JB Cases 3x4, Marc Turcasso envelope
Fave game: 14.1
Years Playing: 50 on and off
Where I Play: www.redshoesbilliards.com

Old
  (#13)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"

08-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93 View Post
We use beads at our league and, just for the record, you CAN keep track of both the rack and the total score.

On any rack after the first, you keep the rack score by keeping those beads separate from the cumulative beads scored on earlier racks. In other words, don't slide the rack beads over all the way. You manage the rack beads to keep an accurate count for the rack and at the end of the rack they should add up to 14.

When you score 5 balls and then scratch, for example, you slide over 4 beads from one side and 1 bead from the other so that the rack count is 5 but you've only progressed by 4 points. If you scratch in the first rack, you separate one bead at the end (say, the 50th bead) and then at the end of the rack you take that point off.

It sounds a little complicated to put in words, maybe, but it isn't in practice. I much prefer beads to a counter. If there are any spectators, they can follow the score easily.
I know what you mean but my problem with the beads is they have a way of shaking up and down the wire every time someone posts up their score. So my opponent is putting his five ball run on the wire and next thing you know all the beads on my side have slid together. Plus, (and I know this may sound anal) but I don't like using my cue to keep score. I've dinged shafts more than once that way.

Old
  (#14)
Demondrew
AzB Silver Member
Demondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2009, 02:13 PM

I have scoring beads in the basement. I strung them on masons twine(nylon cord). I made it level and tight. I use the same seperating beads to keep track of the rack and score. I also use four red binder clips that get clipped onto the tens counters to mark fouls.
Andy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

Old
  (#15)
dkindig
AzB Silver Member
dkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond reputedkindig has a reputation beyond repute

08-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks, DogsPlayingPool...

I have been marking score on a sheet of paper so it wasn't convenient to deduct fouls from the running total on the fly. It was easier to record them and then subtract them from the score when the rack totals were added in at the end of the rack. Sometimes I get so focused in on the way I'm doing things that the obvious answer doesn't occur to me.

It looks like a double set of counters is just the ticket for what I want to do...

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: