Should women be allowed to compete in US Open 9 Ball Championship?

Should women be allowed to compete in US Open 9 Ball?

• Yes, Open means open. Anyone should be able to play.

Votes: 253 74.9%
  • No, US Open 9 Ball should be men only.

Votes: 82 24.3%
  • What is US Open 9 Ball?

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
With politics aside, I know vaguely about some agreement that forbids women to compete in the US Open 9 Ball Championship, but what do you think?

Many argue that women have their own US Open, which are for WPBA Pros and few slots available by invitation and qualifiers. However, this doesn't let anyone to just walk up and play - which the word "OPEN" is.

This year, I heard a female player unaware of such rule, tried to play the US Open 9 Ball without prevail. It was inconceivable to her that she could not just walk up with an entry fee and play because she was a woman.

This question may had been brought up before, but times have changed and so are peoples' opinions. So, what are your thoughts now?

S.

Last edited:

michaelm

Registered
If for no other reason than to have the opportunity to fight for a purse that is much more substantial than the WPBA's purse. I do like the fact that the women have the World 10 Ball Championships in which to compete. I only wish that a straight pool and eight ball world championship exclusively for women was initiated.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No they should not be allowed to play. They do have their own version of the U.S. Open and therefore should play in that one. Since it is hard to get in I suggest they lobby for it to be more of an Open event without qualifiers before lobbying to get into the men's event....JMO!!

Gary

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
All things being EQUAL, I would approve only if the WPBA would become an open format. They have the platform to launch what could be a great tour if they went open.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Hmmm, you guys understand that WPBA's US Open is NOT OPEN? You have to be WPBA PRO... or receive invite for being a top country player or win a qualifier which is only few spots.

S.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Hmmm, you guys understand that WPBA's US Open is NOT OPEN? You have to be WPBA PRO... or receive invite for being a top country player or win a qualifier which is only few spots.

S.

Right, But its probably time that they look at new options for the future.

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member

S.

You gotta know that's because if men could get into this event there is a very slim chance a woman would win. I'm not trying to be a pig, it's just a fact.

Run Of One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open should be open

Let the chicks play! Seriously, any male player that would protest having to risk his ass being kicked by a woman deserves to get laughed at. I got beat by Eleanor Callado and Michelle Rakin on a regular basis before they were even grown, and my ego has survived. Thrived, even. ;)
I've always said it was a shame that Allison Fisher wasn't competing with the men all those years she was sleepwalking through women's title after title. I don't think we'll ever know what her true potential could be.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Yes they should and legally, i dont know how they ban them. But on the same note, they should do away with the womens us open. There should be one for all.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
If women do compete, the men will finally enjoy some big prize money and dare I say it...TV exposure!

Hells yeah!

It's an OPEN!

I was there the whole week. Even on finals night, there were STILL seats available. We gotta do SOMETHING to get some attention to the great sport of billiards. As it is, VERY few Pros can make a living at it.

This week (along with Archer), Allison Fisher was inducted into the Hall of Fame here. So, there was a possibility of seeing her being a spectator. Even the possibility of One female pro player here as a spectator created excitement.

This is aside from the fact that this is supposed to be an OPEN. So, if you pay your $600, you should be in.

Barry, this is your tournament. How about next year your let the women-folk play? I'd pay extra!

Last edited:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
The men would be more than happy to let them play because they would just be padding the purse. No woman would have a chance at winning the US Open. NO CHANCE. There are 50 players that can spot the best women the 7 ball. If anyone disagrees with this then you have no idea about the speed of the players.

If the money in pool were as good as golf and the men actually had a tour then I would say that women should not be allowed. It made me sick at my stomach when Michelle Wie was playing and taking up a spot that someone who actually had a chance at winning and needed the money to try to stay on the PGA Tour. She missed the cut of every single PGA Tour event she played in and finished in the bottom 10 out of 156 of every one but 1.

It is not the US Open, it is the US Open Men's 9-Ball Championship. The women have their own US Open in which the men aren't allowed to compete and rightly so.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
The men would be more than happy to let them play because they would just be padding the purse. No woman would have a chance at winning the US Open. NO CHANCE. There are 50 players that can spot the best women the 7 ball. If anyone disagrees with this then you have no idea about the speed of the players.

If the money in pool were as good as golf and the men actually had a tour then I would say that women should not be allowed. It made me sick at my stomach when Michelle Wie was playing and taking up a spot that someone who actually had a chance at winning and needed the money to try to stay on the PGA Tour. She missed the cut of every single PGA Tour event she played in and finished in the bottom 10 out of 156 of every one but 1.

It is not the US Open, it is the US Open Men's 9-Ball Championship. The women have their own US Open in which the men aren't allowed to compete and rightly so.

If no women are allowed in the US open, how do you know none can win it.

Silly rule. To me, it kinda like well we can't play with you, so you can't play with us. Kid stuff.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
If no women are allowed in the US open, how do you know none can win it.

Silly rule. To me, it kinda like well we can't play with you, so you can't play with us. Kid stuff.

lol, that's like saying that since you aren't in the forest when a tree falls, how do you know it makes a sound.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Based on the luck of the draw, I really feel Jasmin Ouschan could have a chance. In races to 11, she could hang with the big boys. I think her odds would be the same as mid level pro. And if she doesn't win, she would surely cash. A lot of people play in the open and have no chance of winning, but they can still cash.