Dippy Dave takes 27 grand off Bustamante?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Some details were mentioned in the TAR livestream chat. I'm a little fuzzy on them and wondered who knows the whole story.

This guy Dippy Dave (aka the Viffer) made a pretty serious game with Francisco getting massive weight... they played for some odd figure of 26.5 or 28.5 grand, with thousands on the side also.

The spot was so big you had to laugh hearing Andy recite it all.
Something like:
10 games on the wire going to 20 or 25
the 4 out?!?!
the breaks
ball in hand

Ballsy to try to outrun something like that. A lot of B and C players in the chat were jumping up with "I'd play anyone on the planet with that weight!"

Apparently he also had a go at Shane, who won 2 out of 3 sets. No idea what their arrangement was, does anyone know?
Shane's facebook comment:

"I have been hustled by this unknown player. I didnt loose one dime out of my pocket. I won money from the first 2 nights and still came out of 1k ahead after the worsed hustled experience in my career. I felt bad for bustamante that he loss and nobody never see it coming. Im shocked, I dont even know what to say."

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some details were mentioned in the TAR livestream chat. I'm a little fuzzy on them and wondered who knows the whole story.

This guy Dippy Dave (aka the Viffer) made a pretty serious game with Francisco getting massive weight... they played for some odd figure of 26.5 or 28.5 grand, with thousands on the side also.

Something like:
the 4 out?!?!
the breaks
ball in hand

Ballsy to try to outrun something like that. A lot of B and C players in the chat were jumping up with "I'd play anyone on the planet with that weight!"

Apparently he also had a go at Shane, who won 2 out of 3 sets. No idea what their arrangement was, does anyone know?

"I have been hustled by this unknown player. I didnt loose one dime out of my pocket. I won money from the first 2 nights and still came out of 1k ahead after the worsed hustled experience in my career. I felt bad for bustamante that he loss and nobody never see it coming. Im shocked, I dont even know what to say."

Dippy laid it down real good & got rewarded for it...Hats off to him !

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like busty thought he had a cold blooded sucker, and was going to steal, and then gets it broke off in him! Looks like the fish had the pole and was reeling them in this time.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Something like:
the 4 out?!?!
the breaks
ball in hand

He said, "give me the break ...with ball in hand afterward...., give me the call 4, uh.... and the last 4 too, uh, let's see, I know, with 10 on the wire".

Then he stopped talking for a second because he couldn't think of anything else to ask for at the moment. Bustamante jumped up, interrupted him and said "OK". So, naturally, Bustamante go the better of these negotiations.

In case he asks you for weight, this is him:

http://www.pokerafterdark.com/players/match_35/David_Peat

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old rule of thumb in games like this is never bet when the money on the rail is bigger than the money in the middle.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Honestly if shane outran those nuts twice, Busty should be fully capable too. Unless the 2 sets lost to shane were "seed money" but that's a lot of money to lose. I think this may have been closer to plain gambling than hustling. That spot still makes me laugh.

Thanks zy for the thread, that cleared up the details. Do we know how a guy named Dave Peat got to be nicknamed "Viffer"?
Edit: Thanks for the heads up Tate, though I'm sure he'll be sad you knocked his action :)

edit 2: lol, I can't read. The guy won WPT events, not IPT events. The letter W can easily be mistaken for an I if you're a first grader.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
He said, "give me the break ...with ball in hand afterward...., give me the call 4, uh.... and the last 4 too, uh, let's see, I know, with 10 on the wire".

Then he stopped talking for a second because he couldn't think of anything else to ask for at the moment. Bustamante jumped up, interrupted him and said "OK". So, naturally, Bustamante go the better of these negotiations.

That's a funny story. Well told. :killingme:

allen_jr

CanYouRunOut.com
Silver Member
Honestly if shane outran those nuts twice, Busty should be fully capable too. Unless the 2 sets lost to shane were "seed money" but that's a lot of money to lose. I think this may have been closer to plain gambling than hustling. That spot still makes me laugh.

Thanks zy for the thread, that cleared up the details. Do we know how a guy named Dave Peat got to be nicknamed "Viffer"?
Edit: Thanks for the heads up Tate, though I'm sure he'll be sad you knocked his action :) According to that Bio he got a "2nd place finish" at the IPT, and got over 200k in winnings. Was that some BS he gave an interviewer? I can't find him listed anywhere on the IPT site unless he went by another name. In general it's tough to find event brackets and results on there so who knows?

That was a WPT event, not IPT. WPT is World Poker Tour... Supposedly he has gotten all of his money from poker... I kind of like the way he's bringing it out of poker and into the poolroom :)

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on people, get the facts straight. If you don't know the truth don't post like you do. This is like playing the telephone game. You got people calling him the Giffer, saying he got 2nd in the IPT. At one point I heard he bet 50k with Busta and Shane won 30 K off of him but he said he got hustled on facebook. There is so much misinformation on this I'm not even going to read anymore.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
mn: relax. I misread the IPT bit. Dumb mistake on my part, thanks for clearing it up Allen Jr. The bit about shane is copy/pasted from shane's own facebook update, where shane admits he didn't lose money to the guy but still felt hustled. That's a reliable source. JCIN and Jay Helfert call him Biffer both in live stream and via facebook/twitter (I think JCIN mistyped Viffer once, V and B are close on the keyboard). Anyway those guys are also reliable sources.

The money was somewhere north of 25k per man, effectively a 50,000 bet. The race was to 40 according to an AZB member LAMas who was there.

I'm pretty firm on the details now. Thought it was interesting and was surprised there wasn't more chatter about it in the main forum.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not the first time this guy has been around the pool world. He's gambled before in years gone by.

allen_jr

CanYouRunOut.com
Silver Member
mn: relax. I misread the IPT bit. Dumb mistake on my part, thanks for clearing it up Allen Jr. The bit about shane is copy/pasted from shane's own facebook update, where shane admits he didn't lose money to the guy but still felt hustled. That's a reliable source. JCIN and Jay Helfert call him Biffer both in live stream and via facebook/twitter (I think JCIN mistyped Viffer once, V and B are close on the keyboard). Anyway those guys are also reliable sources.

The money was somewhere north of 25k per man, effectively a 50,000 bet. The race was to 40 according to an AZB member LAMas who was there.

I'm pretty firm on the details now. Thought it was interesting and was surprised there wasn't more chatter about it in the main forum.

You're welcome, I figured that was an easy mistake :) and yes, most of the details on here are pretty close to correct... The guy is betting large amounts and getting lots of weight... I can't comment on whether he's hustling per se, but as usual, it's buyer beware .. As Jay mentioned, he's been around playing pool before..

From what I've heard, he just wants to gamble big and make it enticing for both sides - nothin wrong with that ;)

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
You're welcome, I figured that was an easy mistake :) and yes, most of the details on here are pretty close to correct... The guy is betting large amounts and getting lots of weight... I can't comment on whether he's hustling per se, but as usual, it's buyer beware .. As Jay mentioned, he's been around playing pool before..

From what I've heard, he just wants to gamble big and make it enticing for both sides - nothin wrong with that ;)

How do you give out that kind of weight to a guy you haven't known for like 5 years?

- Steve

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
How do you give out that kind of weight to a guy you haven't known for like 5 years?

- Steve

I know haha... well maybe cuz he's been around the block and was somehow known to busty. Or, from what I hear, busty took it after shane played the same way. So if shane could pull it off, busty knows he can too. But then why would shane take that insane bet?

I think the part that makes me ill is the 4-out. That's a serious low level banger. I guess busty and other top pros feel that once someone has control on the 2 or 3 ball, the game is more or less done anyway. But BIH and he only has to run 4 balls? With the 4th wild?!

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
cause , its the only way they had a chance at winning over 100k. all the US tournys combined will barely sniff that.