Quantifying Hit and Feel by tone, pitch or harmonics of the cue

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see if anyone knows if this has been done before or if someone is working on it now and the details of what is going on in that effort. If I posted this in the wrong forum also please let me know as I wasn’t sure if this was the place or if the ask a cue maker would have been the spot.

I know you can quantify the accuracy of a cue's hit with controlled repeatable testing measures but has anyone tried creating a range or chart for the feel of a cue’s hit based on its vibration, harmonics or resonant characteristics. I know accuracy is important but when choosing a cue for feel as well, it would be good to be able to say what range the cue falls into, maybe even some type of pitch or key range like musical instruments have. This might also be a good factor to know for shafts to determine the potential to kinetic energy for action on a cue ball although that's not what I'm primarily after as I believe action on the ball is mostly determined by the stroke of the player. Still would be interesting to know for that edge in your playing performance.

Back to the main topic, cues can and have been classified as a type of percussion instrument. It would also be interesting to know what the components/materials individual resonance or vibration or dampening characteristics would do to a cue in a quantifiable way. I know after you hit with a cue you can easily tell after some time whether you like it or not which is very important in your cue choice but it would be nice to have ranges in which we could really classify what we're looking to feel in a similar future cue purchase or custom creation.

We can all try and do currently describe the feel or hit using words like soft, hard, stiff, like a glass rod, has nice feedback or even more general stuff like hits a ton, like a sledgehammer or a fine instrument but what are you really saying. I went down the positive list as I think we all clearly know when a cue hits like it has issues.

If there are cue makers, musicians, physicists, materials testing people, mechanical engineers or other professionals that I did not mention that can take this one on and maybe explain what they think it would take to accomplish this task it would be greatly appreciated. I’m hoping there’s an inexpensive readily available device or method to determine this of course other than your hands and ears, no need to go there people. I think a lot of people seeking custom cues and or even just that special feel would appreciate being able to break it down to something other than that difficult to define term of the perfect feeling cue which of course is subjective. I do think that how a cue feels in general and hits doesn't have to be subjective.

I think it would be great to someday be able to add this as a known and clearly describable factor when ordering or selecting a cue like weight, balance point, ferrule, tip, joint etc...

Thanks in advance for your contributions...

hdgis1

If you want more information than you can handle on this, the man you want to contact is Bill Gibbs in Knoxville Tn. He used to be a protype guitar builder for Gibson and now makes cues. He has carried some of the the technology from guitarmaking over to the realm of pool cues and has quite a loyal local following. He was finishing a cue for his ACS(?) certification and had a stroke and hasnt finished it yet. He makes some top notch cues!

Chris

TimmyB80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave Alciatore (PhD) also comes to mind. As far as I know he is a Physics guy and would be an interesting person to ask. Check out his videos, they are very informative!

jridpath

Registered
I used to work in sales for National Instruments, so I know a little about what it would take in terms of hardware and software necessary for for gathering and analyzing the data. I would say it would take between $8K and $10k for the right tools if you were starting with nothing. Software is actaully the biggest cost. Also you would have to build a device that can repeatably stoke the cue the very same way everytime. Having a human do it would not give you consistant results and make the data useless. It would not be a project that would be easy nor cheap to tackle for a hobbiest tinkering in their garage if you want to see accurate, repeatable, data.

While doing every make out there would be impossible, it would be interesting to see the vibrations transfered to the grip for a small sampling of some of the more popular production cues for comparison. Say a Viking, McDermott, Schon, Predator, OB, Mezz, and maybe a few more.

Dr Dave would indeed be the best qualified around here to do any such testing. I am sure that he has the right tools available at the University to do vibration testing in the ME deaprtment.

I don't know if personal projects using the University's resources are frowned upon though. If so, it might fly if it was a research project under the title of "Vibration Transmissions Through Various Threaded Single Pin Joined Materials".:grin:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
As far as I know, nothing has been quantified. Lots of builders have their own beliefs & opinions but there's no scientific evidence to support anything. It would be nice to have a number value on cue tone, stiffness, etc. Something like a 1-10 scale would be neat. It would sure make it easier for players to choose correct equipment.......or could lead to more confusion. But a standardized scale would be nice. We have weight, balance, diameters, etc. but that's only half the battle.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminded me of an old player (Chuck Absher) who described a good hitting cue as something similar to the feel of a good fishing pole - you can clearly feel the vibrations all the way to the back of the pole or cue.

I've had people I've known grab the back end of the butt of the cue and sharply hit the side of it at the joint and observe the whipping action of the tip. This was their method of measuring stiffness.

Like in the fishing pole analogy, I like to feel the shots in my back hand. For this reason I don't shoot with a cue that has a metal joint. It seems to disturb the vibrations going through the cue (although I have shot with a few that felt pretty good anyway).

As you may know, the point at which you have your bridge hand and grip hand determine the nodes in the cues' vibration frequency. Now since different folks bridge and grip at different locations on the cue, the node locations change. So for one person, the vibration frequency and harmonics could be determined but be totally different for someone else using the very same cue. To me, this is what would be very difficult to overcome if we wanted to scientifically nail down what a "good hitting cue" should feel like. Of course, I could be all wrong and someone will come along and take the top players in the game, measure the grip distances, determine the harmonic frequencies and figure out what is optimum.

Still, I think many of our veteran players have such sensitive hands that they know instinctively what a good hit is all about and not need the science. But maybe the novice player could gain something in all this.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooln8r...Regardless of what 'techniques' would be used, the "feel/hit" of any cue is still going to be subjective to the user. You can take the same cue, manufactured by any means, have 10 people play with it, and you will get 10 different opinions on the "feel" or "hit". Some will love it; some will hate it; and some will be on the fence. I agree with what 8ballEinstein said...most good players know instinctively what "feels" good to them, without any kind of specialized information...which as mentioned in an earlier post, would be very costly to produce any kind of real scientific evidence...not to mention that to create any kind of real list, you'd have to test literally 1000's of cues, and tens of thousands of different combinations of shaft tapers, construction, joints, tips, etc.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I think a lot of people seeking custom cues and or even just that special feel would appreciate being able to break it down to something other than that difficult to define term of the perfect feeling cue which of course is subjective. I do think that how a cue feels in general and hits doesn't have to be subjective.

Last edited:

jridpath

Registered
An accelerometer should be able to see the difference. I built this a few years ago:

http://jandssafeguard.com/PoolGizmo/Stroke-Alyzer.html

It was meant to detect flaws in your stroke, rather than analyze how the cue feels or "hits".

Not a bad set up for a low budget. It might not be enough to fully characterize the the hit of the cue, but it could at least possibly show some differences in how different cues vibrate. Have you tried this on different cues yet to see if there is a noticable difference in the vibrations after the hit?

I still work at National Instruments, just not in sales, so I have access at work to all of the software. :wink: If you can send me data files in ASCII format I can run some analysis on them. I work on high frequeny stuff like radio and microwaves, so I really don't know much about vibration analysis, but I know people in the sound and vibration department. I'm sure I can get some help. PM me if your interested.

TopShot

Registered
Dan Goble (SP?) had made some shafts from spruce wood and they were designed based on the premise of harmonics if i remember right. I shot a little bit in Albuquerque, and a handful of players had them.

I dont believe he makes them anymore.

http://www.freakshaft.com/

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Black Boar intonates their shafts and matches them with butts. I'm not sure what a 'match' would be, but being a musician formerly, I've often wondered that if you took a shaft that resonates a standard 440 A, and matched it with a butt that resonates in in unison or the same 440 A, thirds, fifths, or ocataves what would be the results. Or on the flip side, if you had a shaft that resonated at a standard middle C, and you tried to match it with a butt that resonated at a b, or a tone that is chromatically half a step off in either direction, it seems to me that you would be creating an unpleasant vibration and sound.
Make sense?
dave

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
This is a topic which greatly interests me. I have a background in engineering and music, and have long felt that the resonance of a cue is perhaps its most important aspect. I look forward to seeing where this discussion goes!

I have owned a Scruggs which was so smooth, it felt like you weren't hitting the ball, and would have kept it, had it not been 12.5mm. I now play with a DPK which has a stronger feel, not as smooth, but it has a resonance which I wouldn't trade for anything.

Thanks for the thread.

-s

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An accelerometer should be able to see the difference. I built this a few years ago:

It was meant to detect flaws in your stroke, rather than analyze how the cue feels or "hits".

Hi Johnny-

As we've discussed b4-mighty cool.

I would like to see top player strokes recorded/analyzed and interpreted in concert with video of the shot type and result.

Graphic visual feedback that aids recognizing and repeating the best stroke 'feel' for a shot would come in handy for many of us-as a training tool.

This is a good idea that I hope will gain traction.

Best of luck.

Take care.

iralee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is really terrific work. Just a few weeks ago, I was looking to build something like this for myself and writing software to drive it. It can be built fairly easily on the Arduino platform with USB, memory, and even a little speaker for audio feedback.

-Ira

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry about the extended post...I got on a roll.

pooln8r...Regardless of what 'techniques' would be used, the "feel/hit" of any cue is still going to be subjective to the user. You can take the same cue, manufactured by any means, have 10 people play with it, and you will get 10 different opinions on the "feel" or "hit". Some will love it; some will hate it; and some will be on the fence. I agree with what 8ballEinstein said...most good players know instinctively what "feels" good to them, without any kind of specialized information...which as mentioned in an earlier post, would be very costly to produce any kind of real scientific evidence...not to mention that to create any kind of real list, you'd have to test literally 1000's of cues, and tens of thousands of different combinations of shaft tapers, construction, joints, tips, etc.

Scott Lee

www.poolknowledge.com

I also agree with 8ballEinsten that good experienced players instinctively know what feels good to them but what if the maker of the cues they liked is no longer making cues and the cues are now 10,000 a piece, only available through collectors who will only part with their cues to the highest bidder, if at all. So without quantifying what they liked now they are only looking for a name to achieve that feel and even if created by the same guy/gal with the same materials there’s no guarantee it will have the same or even similar feel that they’d been captivated by in their previous experience as people change build techniques. They may however be psychologically predisposed to accept just about anything on the resale market from that maker because of that experience but I do believe if you aren’t seduced by reputation that they may be happily or unhappily surprised with the different level of feel they now possess in that cue when being honest about what they were looking for. They may also be elated about finding something they like even better in another makers cue if they are open to that idea. Now I do believe in trusting in a cue maker’s reputation and judgment in how to put together the various materials that make a great hitting cue as the ones I know do make solid hitting cues that feel lively in your hands but even they struggle when someone is searching to recreate that elusive perfect feel that seems to have a subtle but palpable difference to it. I would think it’s hard to read people’s minds on fuzzy but ingrained memories that they wish to recreate.

This endeavor like Eric stated would also be a great thing to help out beginners who have hit with a few cues and have an idea of what they like but would like to find or build something that fits them better. It’s just another factor and an important one for a lot of us. I read in another post about cues being compared to taste in cars and some only caring about getting from place A to place B and others who cared about what it was like on the way there. I say if you spent enough time stuck in that car you’ll start to care about what it feels like on the way there….If you don’t agree with me move to the tristate area within 30 miles of the city and try to drive into Manhattan on a daily basis during rush hour. :eek:

I also believe that this could be a massive but very worthwhile undertaking for the sake of building a cue made of components that have been measured and assembled specifically to accomplish a specific feel. Tokyo-Dave pointed out in this thread that Tony of Black Boar is using the intonation of the cue's shaft and butt to work at accomplishing something similar to what I'm posing here and from what I’ve seen upon completion of cues, tapping the butt with the palm of your hand is a common practice to demonstrate a cue’s resonant quality. At this point feel is created by build technique and definitely an art. I think initially I would love to see a way to represent an existing cue's feel by something like a tone, key or octave or even the amplitude and frequency of vibration transferred to the butt cap end/bumper of the cue from the tip. If I have to pick a place to measure other than the end I would measure to mid-grip on the cue from which I believe the feel would change negligibly within 6 inches or so.

After all balance point is created to spec with weighting and choice of materials, why not do the same including the intention for a specific feel. I know this can be and is being done now in coring a cue, not only are you stabilizing the materials but depending on what you core it with you are adjusting the vibratory feel, just not in a quantifiable way as an objective standard hasn’t been established. For example, instead of straight maple being the core of the sleeved less stable material some cue makers are using purple heart, ebony or other more stable dense woods.

To address that people grip cues in different places, for example like a guitars frets it possibly could change things slightly. I do however think a string’s pitch is changed much easier than a tightly fitted/threaded cue by a nodal point unless of course the cue is being gorilla gripped which ends up prematurely killing the vibration. I'm also not trying to get cue makers to standardize their cues like musical instruments tend to be, I just wanted to be able to give the feel a less vague and subjective description. Eric pointed out maybe a scale of 1 to 10, which I would think would range from practically no transfer of vibration or feel up to damn I can feel that one in my teeth. It would be sort of like the sleep numbers that those airbeds use but for something almost as important. Ok who am I kidding to players it’s more important. Now we just need the data and a way to do the measuring to clearly show people what each level is. Would be good to be able to measure what they are playing with now and how happy they are with the hit. I think it’s amazing how well a lot of pool players adjust to any equipment but there is that extra playing enjoyment and confidence factor to finding a cue that fits you like an extension of your arm. I think if an effective measuring device that doesn’t damage cues in anyway was created one major cue show like the one in PA and we’d have most of what we would need to create a useful chart of classification ranges.

Please keep the ideas and comments coming in…I really appreciate everyone’s help.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I have been applying tonal characteristics to CA$H cues and believe that it has help develop a better playing cue. I won't say what methods I use, but encourage everyone to delve deeper into this aspect of cue making. There are proven methods used to tune musical instruments and others that will fine tune them. I also apply what I learned to Duck Calls, which I consider musical instruments too.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, that accelerometer stroke checking device sounds pretty cool and very innovative. I'll bet we could, if it's sensitive enough, use something like that attached to a cue at the grip nodal point right in front of your hand for recording the frequency and amplitude of vibration conveyed into the butt of the cue. Maybe a ring of coordinated specifically calibrated accelerometers to go around a cue could be set to capture cue movement and internal vibration.

It could definitely show stroke flaws and anomalies. Would be very cool to see what pool pro's strokes look like in comparison to each other and to your own as well as what they expect from their chosen equipment. Efren's stroke would be interesting to capture and analyze for sure.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been applying tonal characteristics to CA$H cues and believe that it has help develop a better playing cue. I won't say what methods I use, but encourage everyone to delve deeper into this aspect of cue making. There are proven methods used to tune musical instruments and others that will fine tune them. I also apply what I learned to Duck Calls, which I consider musical instruments too.

Great to hear that your cues are literally "finely tuned instruments" built with feel as a priority. By the way, I'm NOT by any means saying that other cue makers don't make great playing cues with their current methods or consider feel a priority but I think going this route, taking the extra steps to know the tone, resonance including the harmonics of the cue and fine tune it will take perfecting cue feel/performance to a new level. Now if that could be put on a chart in a measurable way then we could select the feel we like from existing or cues to be built and maybe come up with ways to dampen or amplify the feel of existing cues we have but don't like playing with as much we could.

When I have a cue that feels right the way I like it, I play better, I have a better focus on the game as the cue feels like a part of me and I end up making more balls. I also play longer, which means eating and having drinks there. Score for my local pool halls! Kind of works out in the end for all involved in pool:)

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Great to hear that your cues are literally "finely tuned instruments" built with feel as a priority. By the way, I'm NOT by any means saying that other cue makers don't make great playing cues with their current methods or consider feel a priority but I think going this route, taking the extra steps to know the tone, resonance including the harmonics of the cue and fine tune it will take perfecting cue feel/performance to a new level. Now if that could be put on a chart in a measurable way then we could select the feel we like from existing or cues to be built and maybe come up with ways to dampen or amplify the feel of existing cues we have but don't like playing with as much we could.

When I have a cue that feels right the way I like it, I play better, I have a better focus on the game as the cue feels like a part of me and I end up making more balls. I also play longer, which means eating and having drinks there. Score for my local pool halls! Kind of works out in the end for all involved in pool:)

Here are some interesting questions:

Which is better for playability, 2 shafts weighing exactly the same or 2 shafts with equal tone? Can you have a disparity in weight and achieve equal playability? Which affects playability more, density or tonal characteristics?