Trip Report: "Fox and Hound" (Littleton, CO)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

While spending the holidays with my folks out in Littleton, Colorado, I finally had a few days "off" for myself. ("Off" meaning I didn't have to don the toolbelt to repair items around my folks' house, nor do the "Uncle Sean 'lets-his-nieces-and-nephews-ride-him-like-a-horsie-around-the-house' thing".)

Because of concerns with mileage charges on the rental car ("lightness of the wallet" due to gifts, etc.), I unfortunately could not travel very far to find some of the recommended rooms in the area surrounding Littleton (the closest "nice spot" -- "Hank's" -- turned out to be at least a half-hour away).

However, I needed to play -- I was getting withdrawal symptoms (PTs -- "pool tremens?") after not picking up a cue in easily two weeks. My folks mentioned that while driving along Bowles Avenue in Littleton, they saw a huge place called "Fox and Hound" and that it had pool tables easily visible through the front windows.

That's only a mile or so away, so I figured what the heck. This is my trip report from last night...

Place name: Fox and Hound
Address: 8996 W Bowles Ave, Littleton, CO 80123
Website: http://foxandhound.com/locations/littleton-bowles-ave.aspx
Motif: High-end multi-deck/-floor sports bar with Diamond 9-foot tables clustered throughout in dedicated areas

PROs:
  • Diamond 9-foot tables in good condition, good rails/cushions for banking, durable (and clean!) nap cloth
  • Good pocket-cut on those Diamond pockets. I played a bit of "slam-ball" initially to loosen up, and as long as I hit the pocket good, the ball fell. If I hit the pocket badly, it bobbled -- which is as it should be with a ball hit at speed.
  • Wall-abushkas (house cues) are two-piece stainless steel-jointed cues in decent condition -- every one I inspected had a good tip on it, that was properly shaped and scuffed. Not all of them were "perfectly" straight, but hey, these are house cues after all. I was able to find one that was reasonably straight.
  • Pool areas are cordoned-off from the rest of the restaurant and sports areas (and the entrance to each pool area is monitored by a manned wait staff counter -- so those that aren't playing pool or associated with those playing, are not allowed to enter or disturb those that are)
  • EXCELLENT wait staff -- couldn't ask for better. Not only do they make periodic visits (and they do this without being intrusive or annoying), but if you look up and make eye contact with any one of them -- zzzzziip!! -- they come right over, asking what you would like.
  • Great food and drink -- $2.00 draft pints the night I went there (Tuesday)
  • Place has a nice vibe, wasn't overcrowded, music at low volume / quiet (although I can imagine on game night this place could be loud)
CONs:
  • Since the Diamond tables are covered with durable nap cloth, they could use more periodic brushing to keep the nap in the right direction. There were places in the head string area where there were visible swirls from either patrons or staff trying to rub chalk marks out of the cloth with a swirling motion of their hand, or something like that. But at the same time, at least the cloth was CLEAN!
  • Don't expect to find your average pool hall player/patron or serious players here. I saw mostly college kids here for a good time -- not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Balls could use a little polishing regimen more often. I mean, they weren't bad, but by pool hall standards (at least where I'm from), balls are cleaned and polished at least daily, if not after every two or three rent-outs/uses. I guess I'm spoiled! :eek:
  • Expensive. Pool here is $10/hr -- at least at the time I went, which is the evening (prime time on Tuesday evening).
Description:
I was surprised to find Diamond tables at a sports bar. These were older Diamonds, to be sure, but I recognized them as soon as I peered through the window -- those distinctive leather pockets, half-hexagonal corner pockets with the heavy black "seams" bisecting each angle, and the small metal tag with the silver Diamond logo on a red background. These were the drop-pocket variety with leather-webbed catch bags and a "clicker ring" at the bottom. They are well-maintained, and you can tell that they clean these tables each night -- the table's wood furnishing had a nice polished gloss, but it certainly wasn't "Pledged" or slick (I made sure to check for that before playing). As mentioned above, the cloth could use a little regimented *proper* brushing, since nap cloth was installed on these tables (their staff is, shall we say, the "college kid" variety, so they might not be aware that nap cloth is supposed to be brushed only in the head-to-foot direction). However, after playing a bit, I found the tables to be perfectly level, and the rails/cushions to be true -- I played some short-rack banks and was happy with the table's performance, banking at all speeds.

The wait staff was excellent -- if you even "ponder" having another beer or your food plate to be taken away, they were right there. If you made eye contact with the wait staff, they came right over to you, even if they were already burdened-down taking away clusters of empty glasses and plates.

$2.00 draft pints -- can't beat that! I had a couple pints of Guinness, and my glass was "carefully monitored" by the wait staff. ;) I actually had to wave them off from filling my glass one more time beyond my final one. Now that's service!

Although the pool tables are probably most used by "non-serious" players, I found myself in an interesting situation, when, after I got loosened up with a little slam-ball, I racked up for a little 14.1 practice, and set myself up with a break ball. I think I was in the middle of a 30-ball run, when I noticed out of the corner of my eye a couple of 20-somethings watching me play. (The table next to me had about six college-agers obviously playing 8-ball, and I think they were playing doubles, but I wasn't paying much attention.) The two watching me, a guy and a gal, had these really confused looks on their faces, like "what in the &^% are you playing??" I finally realized where I was -- "we ain't in NY anymore, Toto!" :D I explained to them I was playing straight pool, and briefly explained what the rules were. I explained that the goal of this game isn't stripes or solids, or the black 8-ball, but more of numbers -- to keep running balls until you miss, or else have no shot and have to play a safety. Interestingly, the girl seemed more interested than the guy. She was asking questions, and the guy tried to inject his show of knowledge, but after I very politely corrected him (or said something to the effect of "yes, you could play it that way, but if you miss, you sell out...") he turned and redirected his attention to the game on his own table. The girl, on the other hand, seemed enthralled with the strategy and patterns in straight pool, and continued to watch, once in a while stopping me to ask questions about why I shot that ball, and not the easier one into the side pocket, etc. I explained to her the pattern I was going after by using the path of the cue ball (cue ball control), the concept of the remaining balls being ever more crucial in how you play them, to arrive at a good position on the break ball, etc. She "got it." I gathered straight pool intrigued her as a "thinking person's game," and later on, she said just that.

After a while, it became obvious that the guy was getting a little miffed that his girl was spending more time directing her focus at the goings-on at my table than at his, so I had to do some damage control. I made it a point while he was playing to commend him on a nice shot, nice setup for the next ball, a nice "out," etc -- even more than I'd do normally. This seemed to do the trick, and I can tell he relaxed a lot more. When they left, they both thanked me, and she said she was going to try some 14.1 the next time they play. (And I hope they do.)

My play wasn't particularly spectacular -- mostly 40s & 50s, with my high run last night a 66 -- but I had fun nonetheless. I was satiating my pool bug and enjoying some tasty pints of Guinness at the same time, so I wasn't looking to break any personal records. I had fun, and that's what counts. And I highly recommend this Fox and Hound location to anyone looking for the same type of pool-playing experience. It's expensive, yes, and I'm sure the prices are better during non-peak times. But for a couple hours of pool while out-of-town, it did the trick for me.

Hope you enjoyed this trip report!
-Sean

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
We used to have a F&H near me...but this blue collar crowd couldn't support it. Same deal...diamonds, expensive, good food & drinks, good atmosphere so socializing...a little too uptight for my pool brethren. Sad to see it go.

Derek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the trip report, Sean. I'm betting that a Fox & Hound was closer to my location in Lakewood when I took my uncle out last night to shoot pool. We ended up going to Hank's.

$10 an hour? Ouch. Maybe that's not out of the realm in NYC but that's fairly unheard of in the Denver area where no real nice pool hall exists. Sounds like the F&H thinks a little too high of themselves. I think the only other time I have seen rates that high locally was at one of those Dave & Busters arcade/entertainment centers. I think they were around $8-$10 an hour.

Last time I shot at a Fox & Hound was out in Wichita and I think it was $3-$5 an hour, but that was also during the day.

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately this may be the only future for 9ft table pool places. I wont call them pool halls because obviously they are not. They dont even want us in there if we dont empty our wallets on $10 burgers (which doesn't sound bad right now). There are a half dozen of them here in Denver. They are high end date night ball banger joints with slow cloth, yuk! I ran into Billiard's Ink Bobby today and he said he is trying to open a pool hall in Aurora soon as possible. In the mean time Hanks has really been busy, lots of action.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the trip report, Sean. I'm betting that a Fox & Hound was closer to my location in Lakewood when I took my uncle out last night to shoot pool. We ended up going to Hank's.

$10 an hour? Ouch. Maybe that's not out of the realm in NYC but that's fairly unheard of in the Denver area where no real nice pool hall exists. Sounds like the F&H thinks a little too high of themselves. I think the only other time I have seen rates that high locally was at one of those Dave & Busters arcade/entertainment centers. I think they were around $8-$10 an hour.

Last time I shot at a Fox & Hound was out in Wichita and I think it was $3-$5 an hour, but that was also during the day.

Derek:

You're welcome! Glad to provide this trip report, and when I'm out of town, I'll try to do this more often.

As for F&H, D&B, and their ilk, I'm not sure if the issue is that they "think so much of themselves," as they are just a bit too capitalistic. Remember, they aren't a "pool hall" by definition, but rather a sports / entertainment bar. Pool isn't their main attraction -- alcohol is. (As evidenced by their "All Star Brew Club Card" -- I got asked if I had one as soon as I walked in, which obviously, I don't have.)

I'd been to Dave and Busters as well (in Nyack, NY and in MA), and the tables aren't nearly as good as the ones in Fox & Hound. Plus, the tables at D&B were 8-footers (at the Nyack, NY location, anyway); while F&H seem to have Diamond 9-footers as standard. Does that mean they should charge $10/hr? No. And, the prices aren't conspicuously displayed, either -- you have to ask. I'd assumed it was going to be an $8/$10 night as soon as I walked in, so when I got the bill, I wasn't surprised. But I can just imagine the ruckus when a regular pool-hall patron walks in and gets hit with the bill -- ouch! Not the way you want to be surprised, for sure.

Anyway, Diamond 9-footers + good food + fresh draft pints at a really good price + great wait staff seemed to lessen the pain a bit for me.

I agree with you in the other thread, though; Colorado's pool scene has really atrophied since even the last time I was here -- last year! And I thought the recent spate of closures of pool halls in the NY area was to be bemoaned. It could be worse, and I see that now.

-Sean

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Nice report on Fox and Hound.

They have a Fox and Hound here in Metairie or at least they used to. If you ate lunch there you could play for free for a couple of hours. Haven't been there for many years but remember the tables had very generous pockets.

I really like the way the F&H staff serviced you. Wish more places did that. Eye contact-BOOM, right on you. No eye contact, slide right on by.:thumbup:

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
thanks for the write up Sean... I like to read, so I look forward to any post with more than 2 sentences to it.:smile:

I remembered going to a Fox and Hound in my are when I was trying to get "some" on a online first date, and remembered it had 9 fts and 2 piece house cues. As far as the pool, that's about all I remembered that night.

As far as the "date".... it didn't work out, because this girl would break out into sweats on her forehead and it just wasn't doing it for me, when I would look at her shooting and the brightness of the pool lights would accent the beads of sweat on her forehead. I had to cut my losses:eek:

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you were on the table next to me. I didn't recognize you as being a local player, so I thought you might have been Sean so I asked you if you were from NY? I was on the table next to you giving lessons.
dave

Derek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you were on the table next to me. I didn't recognize you as being a local player, so I thought you might have been Sean so I asked you if you were from NY? I was on the table next to you giving lessons.
dave

Hmmmm. I don't recall anyone asking if I was from NY unless you asked my uncle. Dave Gross was the only person I ended up speaking to. We were on the table nearest the back entrance until around 7:30.

Local-wise, I mainly shoot up north and don't make it down to Denver too often. Once in awhile to the Cue Club/Charlie's. I'm always up for meeting other fellow pool players though.

RobustBrad

Looking to play in CO
Silver Member
I would like to shoot around with some of you denver folk. Would be good to venture out of my basement occasionally :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Great field report. Makes me look forward to visiting the Fox and Hound in the King of Prussia mall when I attend SBE this year.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Sean if you play pool anything like you write your a champ! Thanks for the review and sorry I missed you again (theres a few cock birds that are sorry also).

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Great field report. Makes me look forward to visiting the Fox and Hound in the King of Prussia mall when I attend SBE this year.

Fox and Hound at SBE is pretty awesome. Me and a friend of mine spend most of our time there after we are done with the tournament.

It should be much better this year because the SBE is not the same weekend as March Madness...lol.