side pocket

sausage

Banned
ok, i'm ready to install my new cloth. i've done it many times but i never really get the side pockets done to my satisfaction. i find that i have to cut the cloth very close to the playing surface to get it to lay flush against the side of the slate. i'm just cutting slits in it with a razor but when i staple it down, it has an 'air gap' at the slate edge that i do not like. what am i doing wrong?

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
ok, i'm ready to install my new cloth. i've done it many times but i never really get the side pockets done to my satisfaction. i find that i have to cut the cloth very close to the playing surface to get it to lay flush against the side of the slate. i'm just cutting slits in it with a razor but when i staple it down, it has an 'air gap' at the slate edge that i do not like. what am i doing wrong?

Not enough slack in the pocket area.

Club Billiards

Silver Member
I don't really know that there is a such thing as pulling it too tight if you're using proper technique. It just sounds like you're not using enough slack in the sides.

I don't want to give away too much here if you don't already know what I mean. This information is here in the forums and on the new Simonis install DVDs. I hope you don't take this wrong, I just don't want to share too much information that guys are paying for the DVDs to learn.

But yeah, there is a YouTube video from the Diamond plant and plenty of references here in the forums, so the info is out there for you. Hope that points you in the right direction.

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

here was the best answer i got....check post at the bottom by dartman

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=216857

Dartman

Silver Member
As Josh said, not enough cloth slack. Check the link matteroner posted to setup the side pocket and the Diamond
video at 1:20 (you can see the slack) and at 6:10 (finishing off the side pocket)

Last edited:

Dartman

Silver Member
He's using 3M10 Scotchweld (aka Scotchgrip).
Not familiar with Weldwood so can't comment.

Club Billiards

Silver Member
He's using 3M10 Scotchweld (aka Scotchgrip).
Not familiar with Weldwood so can't comment.

Weldwood is a contact cement you can pick up at Home Depot. You're most likely going to get some bleed through with it, and it doesn't work as well as the 3M-10. I used to use it occasionally to put on rubber until I was introduced to the 3M-10.

sausage

Banned
Weldwood is a contact cement you can pick up at Home Depot. You're most likely going to get some bleed through with it, and it doesn't work as well as the 3M-10. I used to use it occasionally to put on rubber until I was introduced to the 3M-10.

ok, excellent. i sure do like the way he stretches that cloth with the glue. looks easy compared to stapling but pros always make things look easy. i'll probably staple my new cloth because i've never used glue and i don't want to make a mess and ruin my felt. so should i stretch in the same pattern as this guy who's gluing or stretch as per the instructions that came with my cloth?

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, excellent. i sure do like the way he stretches that cloth with the glue. looks easy compared to stapling but pros always make things look easy. i'll probably staple my new cloth because i've never used glue and i don't want to make a mess and ruin my felt. so should i stretch in the same pattern as this guy who's gluing or stretch as per the instructions that came with my cloth?

here is a diagram the reverend gave me on the stretch pattern.

http://www.reverendbilliards.com/cloth_layout.html

Club Billiards

Silver Member
I never knew of any seller "sending instructions with the cloth" unless it was a link to the drawings Simonis and Chumpionship had online - which both pretty much sucked. :D

I have seen a couple where I think the person had requested the instructions be sent with the cloth. Those are the only ones I've seen though.

I still laugh every time I think about when Don first started working with me. The first installation he went with me on was an imported table that had instructions in the box. He found those and handed them to me. In front of the customer, I crumpled them up and threw them away. He said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!" LOL I said "If we need those, we're in big trouble, so you better hope we don't need them."

He's taken great pride in throwing away the instructions himself ever since then.