Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Louie Roberts Video....VINTAGE GAMBLING
Page 1 of 13 1 2311 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Louie Roberts Video....VINTAGE GAMBLING
Old
  (#1)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Louie Roberts Video....VINTAGE GAMBLING - 07-05-2011, 04:36 PM

I asked an old pool player about Louie Roberts. He said he wasnt very impressed with him, and I kept pressing him on how he played. (Most pool players and especially the older ones knock everyone, just amazes me) He finally told me I should see for myself, and he had a long gambling session of Louie giving up the nuts. I had never seen Louie play live, or on tape.

As JAM noted here several times, there are VERY few videos from the old days showing the older players. Today we have YOUTUBE, ACCUSTATS, and hell lots of others.

Well I got the video and it is several hours long, he is giving the guy several balls in the spot and pretty much killing him. The other neat thing about the video is how much Louie is like Keith McCready....talking the entire time. If I was playing him, there would have been a mum rule.

Not sure what I should do with the video, it is amazing. Louie plays absolutely perfect position on old gold crown table.

ANY LOUIE ROBERTS fans out there?

Ken

Current cues - Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Southwest (Ebony nosed, JF Era), Pfd, Palmer Model 16, Josswest Ivory joint, BHQ Butterfly and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#2)
"CaliRed".
High Def Videos!!!
"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute"CaliRed". has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Post it up sir!!! Something like that needs to be shared for all of us that never got to see him play. If you need someone to do it..I would

sent from a rooted evo 4g with the new Synergy Rom by myn

Old
  (#3)
pvc lou
AzB Silver Member
pvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond reputepvc lou has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

07-05-2011, 04:40 PM

post it up on the internet, ken!

Old
  (#4)
1on1pooltournys
AzB Silver Member
1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute1on1pooltournys has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
  Send a message via AIM to 1on1pooltournys Send a message via Yahoo to 1on1pooltournys  
07-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Louie was one of a kind from my understanding. There are several threads about him on here and I know some people pretty well that knew Louie personally. He had demons but was a generally likeable guy and could shoot the lights out.

He would roll out to table length cuts that most people might bank and he would slice them in and run out. Problem with Louie (from my understanding) he couldn't go to sleep with money in his pocket.

I have heard several stories about him..some of the funniest are as follows....

Louie would pawn his cue at tournaments to get money for gambling...he would pawn it to several people, and I guess once he was playing in a big ring game with all the champs and had pawned it to several people and when he finally lost his last barrel and exhausted all avenues to get more money he just kind of quietly sat the cue down on an adjacent table and exited the building!! LMAO...I guess there were several arguments as to who the cue belonged to.

Also, he would eat by pushing carts around grocery stores and eating and drinking all the while...he'd load it up, make a sandwich, drink a beer, and when he was content just leave the cart in an isle and make his exit.

He was one of a kind from what I hear...wish I could of met him.

"To play billiards well was a sign of an ill-spent youth"
-Herbert Spencer

"If you're smart enough to know, then you are smart enough to keep your mouth shut."
-anonymous "Old School"pool hustler

"The game of Billiards has destroyed my naturally sweet disposition."
- Samuel Clemens

"Most men live lives of quiet desperation."
- Henry Thoreau

"I'm what the game made me."
- Mikey Frost

Old
  (#5)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Man, Louie Roberts was the real deal. All he would say is let me see it, I can make it. And thats no BS, watched him play a few times at the Sports Center and Cue and Cushion in STL.

Louie was a cool guy, easy to talk to. He is really missed in STL.

Oh yeah, post up the video please.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten.

Old
  (#6)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2011, 04:56 PM

One line in the video, Louie says,"This guy has beat everybody in St. Louis, he wont beat me..."

He had balls, Ill give him that.

LMAO

ken

Current cues - Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Southwest (Ebony nosed, JF Era), Pfd, Palmer Model 16, Josswest Ivory joint, BHQ Butterfly and Rick Howard J/B.

Watchez is the teacher

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#7)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

07-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Louis went to LV to make a video. A lot of great players were there. This was in the late 80s when Meucci had a great cue and had a lot of player reps.
Rempe, Howard, Segal, Strickland and the ladies Ms. Loree John Jones (at that time)

Louie was there for the POWER stroke part of the video. I don't know how many copies they sold but I bought one and ONE SOB borrowed it and this SOB didn't get it back.

Louie was the house pro at High Pockets in Memphis during this period. I saw him match up playing one pocket and 8 ball. I never saw him play 9 ball.

He was the real thing.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 49 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 20+

Old
  (#8)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member

07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Cincy View Post

Louie was the house pro at High Pockets in Memphis during this period. I saw him match up playing one pocket and 8 ball. I never saw him play 9 ball.

He was the real thing.
This was 9 ball....

Did he talk all the time he played or was he "putting on a show".

Ken

Watchez is the teacher

Old
  (#9)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

07-05-2011, 05:13 PM

He talked all the time, except when he pulled the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
This was 9 ball....

Did he talk all the time he played or was he "putting on a show".

Ken

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 49 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 20+

Old
  (#10)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Louis was cornered by a reporter once....
..He asked "Louie, how much do you figure you've lost gambling?"

Louie replied "Uh...would you believe a down payment on an
air craft carrier?"

Old
  (#11)
pfduser
Solid D player
pfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond reputepfduser has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2050

07-05-2011, 06:55 PM

I would like to see Louie in action!

Ruben

Old
  (#12)
pooljunkie4ever
Grab Life by the BALL!
pooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond reputepooljunkie4ever has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Don't make us beg, post it, lol

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

- Thomas Edison

I sell Custom Chalk Holders
email pooljunkie4ever@yahoo.com

Old
  (#13)
Cuebuddy
Rack O Plenty
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-05-2011, 07:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angi1vwUkQc

Cuebuddy

http://www.einstein-nine.com/

Einstein nine > aka one pocket nine.

Old
  (#14)
ShootingRazbone
He got all the rolls
ShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond reputeShootingRazbone has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2011, 07:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04aCp3ej-I

Love to see it... sometime

Player: Schon
Shaft: OB1 Classic w/ Kamui Black Super Soft
Break: Alex Brick jump/break

"He couldn't play dead in a western" -- Me (Actually I'd like to think it was me)
"Earl has a +4 against Effective Break shots anklet on" -- JCIN
"I'm on a negative freeroll" -- Viffer
"I happen to think that poop is funny. I lol every time I see a guy sh!t himself!"-- Easy-E
"If I win a game I will definitely play another!" -- Ron Frank

Old
  (#15)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2011, 10:41 PM

I'm out of town now visiting my daughter in Sedona, so I don't have time to make a proper answer now about Louie. Let me just say that he was absolutely the best shotmaker I ever saw! And that includes present day players. If he could see it, he could make it. And the object ball went in on a line, never touching anything. PURE POCKET all the way! He would shoot extremely difficult cut shots at warp speed. And make them over and over again!

Louie was handsome, personable and had a good sense of humor about life, pool, girls, everything. The women LOVED him! And he loved them back . The hours and days I spent around Louie and Keith are full of priceless memories for me. They are both American originals, none like them before or since. Only Alex among the current crop of players comes close to having the charisma these two had.

I loved Louie and yet sometimes I hated him. He was a severe alcoholic and could be more than a handful at times. My last physical fight was with Louie and it was a doozy, lasting maybe 20 minutes before he finally gave up and fell asleep in my arms. I had him pinned down on a bed in a hotel room. Thank God because I was exhausted too. True story!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 07-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2311 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: