Louie Roberts Video....VINTAGE GAMBLING

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The video most people have seen of Louie is of him playing Gary Seville (from KC). I believe Doug Patrick (patrickcustomcues) has copies.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
I only played snooker with Louie. Knew better than to get on the pool table with him. Even so, that match on the snooker table would have made a good video as it had to be one of his last.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louie, who was best described in this thread by Jay. I didnt know Louie but like Jay said he had the charm with the girls and could play, man could he play. I never played him, he would have shot my liver out and then some.

The sad side is just before he passed away I played/gambled with the kid(a week before) who knocked Louie out of the tournment just before he passed away. His name was Tony Spawn(SP?) to the best of my recollection, Louie could have gave the kid the 5 ball. After what happened I only saw Tony around 1-2 more times. Tony had lots of heart and talent, but after that I dont know what happened he clearly was shaken up-I was 24ish and Tony was maybe 18. I never told this story until now, ever.

Louie's death was a huge loss for all of us and I still am not sure how it happened, I just know it was among the biggest losses in American pool history.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
here's another vote for getting that video up online somewhere! Never seen him play - but I've heard soooo many stories from the guys at SportsCenter, etc.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post it Ken!!!! or Im driving all the way across this great state of ours to break your legs....:eek::D

We would love to see it man!!!!!!! + 1 here

Gary

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked an old pool player about Louie Roberts. He said he wasnt very impressed with him, and I kept pressing him on how he played. (Most pool players and especially the older ones knock everyone, just amazes me) He finally told me I should see for myself, and he had a long gambling session of Louie giving up the nuts. I had never seen Louie play live, or on tape.

As JAM noted here several times, there are VERY few videos from the old days showing the older players. Today we have YOUTUBE, ACCUSTATS, and hell lots of others.

Well I got the video and it is several hours long, he is giving the guy several balls in the spot and pretty much killing him. The other neat thing about the video is how much Louie is like Keith McCready....talking the entire time. If I was playing him, there would have been a mum rule.

Not sure what I should do with the video, it is amazing. Louie plays absolutely perfect position on old gold crown table.

ANY LOUIE ROBERTS fans out there?

Ken

I admit I dont know much about the older players and gamblers like I should but I'd LOVE to see this video. I say post it up! Would be awesome to see especially if the audio is good and you can hear him talk like you say.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I asked an old pool player about Louie Roberts. He said he wasnt very impressed with him, and I kept pressing him on how he played. (Most pool players and especially the older ones knock everyone, just amazes me) He finally told me I should see for myself, and he had a long gambling session of Louie giving up the nuts. I had never seen Louie play live, or on tape.

As JAM noted here several times, there are VERY few videos from the old days showing the older players. Today we have YOUTUBE, ACCUSTATS, and hell lots of others.

Well I got the video and it is several hours long, he is giving the guy several balls in the spot and pretty much killing him. The other neat thing about the video is how much Louie is like Keith McCready....talking the entire time. If I was playing him, there would have been a mum rule.

Not sure what I should do with the video, it is amazing. Louie plays absolutely perfect position on old gold crown table.

I knew Louie very well, I grew up in the 1970's and the last time I say Louie was 1977 when I joined the army and left.

I would be glad to buy a copy of the video you, he has always been one of my favorites and a friend to boot.

Send me a pm with you paypal information and payment will be in the mail.

Thanks Craig

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The video most people have seen of Louie is of him playing Gary Seville (from KC). I believe Doug Patrick (patrickcustomcues) has copies.

I will have to watch it again, but I think that is the guy. I think someone said he was from KC.

Once I get it "ripped" I will make available.

Ken

blackeee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

I'd like to buy a copy. Pm me.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I posted these last month....

2766877430102984961S500x500Q85.jpg

2179271910102984961S500x500Q85.jpg

2605515850102984961S500x500Q85.jpg

2982654810102984961S500x500Q85.jpg

2679475030102984961S500x500Q85.jpg

2201770020102984961S500x500Q85.jpg

2310778970102984961S500x500Q85.jpg

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Excerpt from my book The GosPool:

While living with hypochondriac Chicago cue maker, Joe Gold, Louie once emptied Gold's well stocked medicine cabinet. The cue maker routinely had shelves of assorted medicines that could bring you up, take you down, make you totally rhummy, or eliminate all pain.
Louie (no pharmacist he), would just take potluck and play Pill-Russian–Roulette. He'd say, "I'll try two of those white ones with three of those pinkies, and then seal the deal with one of those red babies. I'll save these brown stripers for later." Louie would chase them all down with a few six–packs of beer, then play for days and never miss a ball.
I put Louie, at or near the top, of pool players that could consume inordinate amounts of various chemical combinations and still play a monster speed of pool.

Beard

Pretty much nailed it Fred.... I remember the 'talk' about his habits. He was a reckless man living off great talent. He was like a pool player James Dean, or Steve McQueen during that era.