Straight Pool Challenge High Run Updates?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As this is the last day of 4 days for players to qualify for the straight pool event, can anyone report as to the daily high runs for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday? Sorry if this has already been reported under another thread, and if so, what is the name of that thread? Thanks

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As this is the last day of 4 days for players to qualify for the straight pool event, can anyone report as to the daily high runs for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday? Sorry if this has already been reported under another thread, and if so, what is the name of that thread? Thanks
Sorry, I'm referring to the Derby City Straight Pool Challenge event.

TVmike

Professional Live Stream
Silver Member

Attachments

• 4thdayafternoon.jpg
    4thdayafternoon.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 141full.jpg
    141full.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,317

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for the superfast update! Looks like Orcollo has tried it every day and improved every day. If he gives it a shot again today, he may break 300 at the rate he's going!
Upon further inspection of the lists, it appears some awfully good straight pool players have yet to crack the 100 run mark, including Melling, Schmidt, Immonen and Deuel. Perhaps they'll post some higher runs today - the last day to qualify for the 16 player field.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Upon further inspection of the lists, it appears some awfully good straight pool players have yet to crack the 100 run mark, including Melling, Schmidt, Immonen and Deuel. Perhaps they'll post some higher runs today - the last day to qualify for the 16 player field.
Actually, that would be the 8-player field.

Schmidt is in second with a 183.

The pockets are tighter this year. More like 4 3/8 than the traditional 4 1/2. I expect several of the top players not on the list will move up but I don't think we'll see the same level as last year when you needed a 140 to get into the playoffs.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, that would be the 8-player field.

Schmidt is in second with a 183.

The pockets are tighter this year. More like 4 3/8 than the traditional 4 1/2. I expect several of the top players not on the list will move up but I don't think we'll see the same level as last year when you needed a 140 to get into the playoffs.
Bob, thanks for the clarification. Are those 4-3/8" corners for all the Diamond's at Derby City this year, or just for these four straight pool challenge tables? If you get a chance, could you report a side pocket mouth measurement for us on these tables as well? Thanks!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
John Schmidt with a 183 proving that he still has those 14.1 skills even if he isn't playing tournament pool on the regular.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Good job

Marek kicking in his regular gear. Ready to steamroll in the bracket. Good luck to the others, they will need it !

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member

Sounds like a good challenge’
I’d like to think that if there was a little more cash in the challenge that Ronnie O’Sullivan or one of the snooker champions would study 14.1 and take the cake but I’m sure there is WAY more money for the players in putting time&efforts into snooker.

Rob.M

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next year, they should have an 8 foot table with the same size pockets Mosconi played on when he set the all time record. At least make it 9 foot table with the 4.75" gold crown pockets that the 14.1 us open was played on.
I always wanted to see how today's pros would take to the same table difficulty levels that Mosconi, Irving crane, Babe Cranfield played on.

Having 14.1 on diamonds with tight pockets is just limiting the fun and excitement these players could produce.

Reactions: JC

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek kicking in his regular gear. Ready to steamroll in the bracket. Good luck to the others, they will need it !

Well John is playing as strong as ever in the practice, he just kinda forgot how to perform under pressure so yesterday I gave him some pointers what he should do to kick a55 again...which he did the way champions do :thumbup: I am really happy for John ;)

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I'm a little surprised at Gorst's number. I would of guessed him in the 100 range, as straight as he shoots.:confused:

They need to loosen that table up to 4-3/4

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next year, they should have an 8 foot table with the same size pockets Mosconi played on when he set the all time record. At least make it 9 foot table with the 4.75" gold crown pockets that the 14.1 us open was played on.
I always wanted to see how today's pros would take to the same table difficulty levels that Mosconi, Irving crane, Babe Cranfield played on.

Having 14.1 on diamonds with tight pockets is just limiting the fun and excitement these players could produce.
I don't know about going to an 8-foot table for this challenge just for the reason of seeing if Mosconi's high run 526 can be challenged, but unquestionably one of the true arts of great straight pool players is all the pack shots the great players somehow manage to find and play which involve caroms,combos, throws, or a combination of all of those. On 4-1/2" or tighter pockets, those types of shots are virtually entirely eliminated - it's just too risky to play them on tight pockets unless they are absolutely dead on.

Not only that, but shots that require "cheating the pocket" because an obstructing OB gives you less than a full pocket to work with, as well as "cheating the pocket" to get the CB to the desired position angle for the next shot or for the breakout shot are also greatly limited with the tighter pockets.

There is no way that Mosconi's 526 high run record will ever be challenged at this event on a Diamond table with 4-1/2" or tighter pockets, in my opinion.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
:frown:
There will be no final tournament this year. All the players are scheduled to play all day in the one pocket and nine ball and without a fixed schedule. This makes it nearly impossible to schedule the straight pool matches. Last year we had two forfeits because the players simply couldn't squeeze in a match.

Sigh.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
:frown:
There will be no final tournament this year. All the players are scheduled to play all day in the one pocket and nine ball and without a fixed schedule. This makes it nearly impossible to schedule the straight pool matches. Last year we had two forfeits because the players simply couldn't squeeze in a match.

Sigh.

Does this mean that all the tournament payouts will be based on high runs only? Or does this mean a reduction in the final payouts are looming for all these players? Or both?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does this mean that all the tournament payouts will be based on high runs only? Or does this mean a reduction in the final payouts are looming for all these players? Or both?
I think it was an even split to the final 8.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
That don't seem cool to me. if they can't make time for the14.1 challenge tournament finish right...don't have it. Johnnyt

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
Bob, i'm sure you and others on site are enormously disappointed by this outcome.

i'll just reinforce -- in case you think others don't care -- that those of us following along at home are also upset. i only lost a $40 contribution to TvMike and the chance to watch some straight pool competition that i had been looking forward to with great anticipation, but it IS pretty annoying.

this increasing trend at DCC to compromising the playoffs is really an insult to straight pool. it's bad enough that the greatest game in pool already takes a back seat to rotation and one pocket; now they're actively Curtailing 14.1 events!

i've contributed serious money to other straight pool challenges in the past, and have thought maybe i should pony up for the DCC Challenge, which has continued in the effort to maintain a straight pool presence. this kind of thing does Not encourage me to continue in that train of thought.