Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Want to improve? This is how. Part 1
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Want to improve? This is how. Part 1
Old
  (#1)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Want to improve? This is how. Part 1 - 04-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Okay, I mentioned in another thread how there are only a handful of shots that can improve your game and figured I'd get into it a little more in a series of threads. The biggest mistakes I see C/B level players make are outlined in these shots. Typically, these are shots that are well within the realm of what the player is already capable of, they're just not aware of the minute details.

The first one I'll discuss today are short angled shots. These are shots that you make nearly 100% of the time. If you spend a portion of your practice time working out EXACTLY how the cueball reacts, you can keep your cueball in line and extend a significant portion of your run-out attempts.

Please note - The balls should NOT be set-up exactly the same every time. You want to develop a feel for speed and spin which means you should mix it up a little.

CueTable Help

This first shot should already be in your arsenal but you want to have precision feel for it. You should never ever scratch and know exactly where your cueball will reach the rail. As you vary the location of the 9-ball, you should learn ways to avoid scratching in the side-pocket - when to play for the short-side, when to spin above the side, when to play with soft speed so you don't reach the side.

CueTable Help

This shot is far less trickier than it looks. You will quickly realize the key to this shot is to not use very much english. A 1 o'clock hit should give you enough spin to create the necessary z-shape. The important thing here is having a feel for going across the width of the table twice.

CueTable Help

This is one of my favorites and yet, I see it mishandled CONSTANTLY. Learn to do this shot only using side spin and gauge how much is necessary to safely avoid the side-pocket. You'll quickly realize how much room for error you have with speed as you enter the position zone from its widest point.

There are plenty of other short shots that you'll build into your game and you'll quickly realize their value (like the one below). However, many of these other shots won't be as sensitive as the three I outline.

CueTable Help

Cue: Schon with OB shaft
Twitter: @JudeRosenstock

Last edited by Jude Rosenstock; 04-30-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

04-30-2008, 10:39 AM

Great lesson!

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.thezone-spc.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

Old
  (#3)
big_wave_dav
AzB Silver Member
big_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond reputebig_wave_dav has a reputation beyond repute

04-30-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the insight. I really enjoy "seeing" the shots on the cuetable. So often I find myself just shooting one shot at a time & hoping I get position for another shot. This just reinforces the fact that I have to slow down & plan ahead.

Old
  (#4)
CB,CornerPockeT
ABC D-Player
CB,CornerPockeT is on a distinguished road

04-30-2008, 10:51 AM

awesome lesson, I really appreciated this.

Old
  (#5)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

04-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks Blackjack!

big_wave_dav - The important thing here is to be deliberate with your tip placement and speed. You don't want to just use spin. You want to use a specific amount of spin and you want to FEEL the spin reacting with the rail. It's a touch many straight pool players are expert in (which is why I think I got Blackjack's attention). However, this touch is important to have no matter which game you play.

As you get more and more comfortable with shots like these, you'll learn how you can use this knowledge for other shots like 1. when the object ball is near the middle of the table, 2. when the cueball is far from the object ball. It's a base to build from.

Here are extensions of the same concepts:

CueTable Help

CueTable Help

CueTable Help

Old
  (#6)
BRKNRUN
Showin some A$$
BRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4430

04-30-2008, 11:15 AM

Good stuff Jude.

All of these shots include a second rail...even for other shots that won't the CB will be traveling toward a second rail.

That being said...these diagrams fall right in line with something I was told when I just an up an coming banger.... I can't remember who told me this... or where I read it.....It was not something I learned on my own......but It is something that stuck with me and even today I continually work on perfecting......and I suspect that even pros continually work on perfecting this.... (except Efren)

I was told...one of the most important parts of playing shape was learning how to know where the CB was going to contact the "second" rail and learning how to "controle" where the CB will contact the second rail.

Although fairly basic stuff...is probably some of the most important parts of position play..... right behind speed of shot......Actually...speed of shot will facter into some of your shots diagramed.

KEN

Old
  (#7)
Beware_of_Dawg
Beware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBeware_of_Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 475

04-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jude Rosenstock again.
THanks for taking the time to share.

Old
  (#8)
frankncali
AzB Silver Member
frankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 300

04-30-2008, 11:26 AM

Man it kills me not to be able to see the Cuetable on my computer. I have tried everything I can think of.

Maybe its time to buy a new version of Windows

If someone can could these layouts be posted in jpg form?

Old
  (#9)
Ant812
AzB Silver Member
Ant812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond reputeAnt812 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

04-30-2008, 11:30 AM

good post, im going to print it out and give it to a guy on my team. he's a good shot but constantly messes these shots up(draws EVERYTHING)...a lot of times this being the difference between winning and losing.
hows that saying go about drawing? "it takes 5 minutes to learn and 5 years to learn when not to use it"

Old
  (#10)
cleary
Honestly, I'm a liar.
cleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8500
  Send a message via AIM to cleary  
04-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Thank you very much jude.... after working on these shots, I might be able to beat you next season!

Old
  (#11)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member

04-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary
Thank you very much jude.... after working on these shots, I might be able to beat you next season!

All it takes is two glasses of Chivas and you can beat me all night. Three glasses and I might not even remember we played.

Old
  (#12)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member

04-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankncali
Man it kills me not to be able to see the Cuetable on my computer. I have tried everything I can think of.

Maybe its time to buy a new version of Windows

If someone can could these layouts be posted in jpg form?

Does your computer give you a message when it fails to display a cuetable? If so, what is that message?

Old
  (#13)
Randy9Ball
AzB Silver Member
Randy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond repute

04-30-2008, 12:08 PM

Excellent lesson Jude! Rep to you sir!

Old
  (#14)
ScottW
Fo' shizzle!
ScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond repute

04-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Ugh, way too many cue tables - i.e. too many Flash instances.

What would rock is if you could just do screenshots of those things, once you've got them set up, and then just include the static images. It would load a loooot faster. But it would require more up front work...

Playing cues: Schon R-7 (circa 1984) w/OB-1 shaft
Russ Espiritu (1996)
Break cue: Jerico Stinger j/b
----------------------------------
Which flame warrior are YOU?

Old
  (#15)
MOJOE
Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
MOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325
  Send a message via AIM to MOJOE Send a message via Yahoo to MOJOE  
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rosenstock
Please note - The balls should NOT be set-up exactly the same every time. You want to develop a feel for speed and spin which means you should mix it up a little.

Jude, I feel that is some great advice that I rarely see in books that are full of drills. Moving the CB or OB just an inch or so can make a huge difference. When I first started doing drills a LONG time ago, I got way to caught up in the EXACT position of both balls. This of course, did me little good since that exact shot rarely if ever came up.

Rep for you, great thread. This is some of the priceless info that I like to see on AZ..

Peace, Mojoe

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: