1/2 ball hit question

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One shot I miss more often than I would like is a longish shot where the OB is a ball off the 3rd diamond on the long rail and CB is on an angle toward the opposite corner. I was practicing it yesterday and noticed it was a 1/2 ball hit. If you have a shot like that do you aim for a 1/2 ball hit or just aim for the correct aim point like any other shot?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always think before shot what cut i have. Perfect half ball?, lil thicker? or thinner etc..?
That is my normal way to aim..
That cut you said is very deceptive indeed. It always looks thinner than half ball. Especially if ob is closer to side pocket on that line.
3rd Diamond to corner have approach angle of 55 degrees. angle to corner to corner is 26 degrees.
55-26= 29 degree cut.
Perfect half ball is 28-29 degrees in when with rolling ball. 30 in theory but friction makes it more like 28. If you hit half ball with stun though it will go much more thick.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One shot I miss more often than I would like is a longish shot where the OB is a ball off the 3rd diamond on the long rail and CB is on an angle toward the opposite corner. I was practicing it yesterday and noticed it was a 1/2 ball hit. If you have a shot like that do you aim for a 1/2 ball hit or just aim for the correct aim point like any other shot?
i am not an instructor
but i think the answer is
if you hit other half ball hits as half ball hits then do it that way
if you hit other half ball hits by "aiming for the correct aim point" (your words)
do it that way
in other words shoot it like you do the others
especially when you dont know for sure its a half ball hit
jmho

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
@Poolmanis gave you some good ideas. A good way to practice that shot is to put down donuts for both balls. Work until you make a comfortable percentage. Then, move the cue ball a little to each side of its donut. Do both sides of the table to make sure you don't have a left cut/right cut problem.

For reference, a spot shot with the cue stick over the corner pocket is a 30-degree cut. It's too bad the spot shot is uncommon in today's games.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you practiced the shot, or do you wait until it comes up in a game? I'm wondering, because if you practice it with a reference point --- whether your reference point is a half ball hit or a spot on the object ball --- and then adjust your aim based on results, you should have it after a few shots. Why would you miss it so many times after that?

Could it be that maybe the angle of the shot is causing you some anxiety, and you do something with your stroke, like maybe steering or jumping up on the shot?