skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
I will not buy a cue that I won't play with it... at least once in a while...
So to me collecting pool cues is not about flipping them for a quick $$ but more to experiment and to play with different cues, I also appreciate the amazing art work that you can find in many cues.

I think that any collection has some kind of an addiction that comes along with it and once you start it's hard to stop... every time I get a new cue I start to think on the next one I would like to have...

You have a great collection, enjoy it :)

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You collect cues the same way others would collect other forms of art and for the same reasons.
Hand-made American cues will always be collectible, to an extent and to a degree based on the builder's talents. The vast majority of cues build/made today are built overseas where the emphasis is on quantity not quality. This is one of the last areas where 'Made in America' means something. Given the current state of economics, now is a very good time to buy; if you can afford it.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
runout1961 said:
Hey Folks, I have rewritten this post about four times now. I'm not really sure how to say what I want to say but I have been doubting the reason why I collect cues lately. I currently have the ones below in my signature with at least three more coming in the next month. Why do we collect cues? I don't know about ya'll but I sure could use an extra 20 grand to pay down my mortgage amongst other things. I know they will appreciate in value but look how long that takes. Especially in today's market. We shall see I suppose.

On the other hand I know for a fact if I sell them off I will regret it as soon as I pull away from the post office. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

John

There is a difference between collecting and investing. A collectors buys because the have an appreciation for the item, it may never go up in value. An investor is just that. They don't even have to have any real interest in what they are investing in. As far as cues go, much of it is to create peer envy. That is the real value to them. IE. "I own a such and such", it make them feel good or even superior. You see it in the pool room all the time. Guys who can't make a ball with their $3000.00 cues and another one on order.

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nope

macguy said:
There is a difference between collecting and investing. A collectors buys because the have an appreciation for the item, it may never go up in value. An investor is just that. They don't even have to have any real interest in what they are investing in. As far as cues go, much of it is to create peer envy. That is the real value to them. IE. "I own a such and such", it make them feel good or even superior. You see it in the pool room all the time. Guys who can't make a ball with their $3000.00 cues and another one on order.

I personally collect cues because number one I love the artistry and craftsmanship and love that the makers put into them. Number two is that they have continually increased in value at a higher rate than almost anything else.

I also get genuine enjoyment just looking at these cues all by myself, they are incredible.

I am sure you kight be right as to some people and there expensive cues......but dont for a second try to lump everyone into the same boat. That is a rediculous and absurd comment to make. The only reason I show pics of my cues, is because I have found a place where people love to enjoy these cues as much as I do.

I have never had and never will have a LOOK WHAT I HAVE attitude.

as Ringo always says.....PEACE and LOVE
Steve

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
Cues are a helluva lot more useful than stamps...lol.

"Different Strokes for Different Folks"

J

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
tikkler said:
I personally collect cues because number one I love the artistry and craftsmanship and love that the makers put into them. Number two is that they have continually increased in value at a higher rate than almost anything else.

I also get genuine enjoyment just looking at these cues all by myself, they are incredible.

I am sure you kight be right as to some people and there expensive cues......but dont for a second try to lump everyone into the same boat. That is a rediculous and absurd comment to make. The only reason I show pics of my cues, is because I have found a place where people love to enjoy these cues as much as I do.

I have never had and never will have a LOOK WHAT I HAVE attitude.

as Ringo always says.....PEACE and LOVE
Steve

goodpost.gif

Cues are Functional Art. IMHO.:thumbup:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
We do what we do because it brings us enjoyment I suppose. Everyone has different interests and everyone has different things that makes us happy.

I've loved pool for 50yrs. but in that time I've never considered collecting or even purchasing a cue that cost more than a few hundred dollars. That doesn't mean that doing so for some people isn't the right thing for them.

You must do the things you enjoy in life so long as it doesn't take from your family. When you question why you collect cues it made me wonder if you may have an addiction and should go to one of those CCC meetings. :D

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I collect cues because:

I like to play pool with a beautiful work of art

I have learned to notice and appreciate very subtle differences in feel, sound and workmanship.

I like to share cues with others who appreciate them

I like the cue builder for whatever personal reason

When a famous cuemaker builds me a cue, I feel like someone special, lucky or privileged

The statements above vary from cue to cue. Some cues play out of this world, others are by cuemakers who are "heroes" to me. Art Cantando, Dennis Dieckman, Barry Szamboti, Bill Schick, Andy Gilbert, for reasons between each of them and me, build cues that make me feel really good to own use and collect. When I hit a ball with my ivory sleeved Gilbert, I realize how much effort and commitment went into constructing it...and Andy made it for me. Art Cantando is my friend and I am sooo fortunate to have come to know him. The cues make me happy.

On the day paying off my mortgage feels better than having a Johnnie Walker and playing some one-pocket with Art...I will surely sell off all of the cues I own. For now, even from the perspective of a guy with $300 in his checking account, the memories and the friendships are the only wealth that matters. The cue is a reflection of the bond with the maker and it is priceless.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real question is:

Why do I sleep with my daily player cue when my girl isnt around???

yes I have issues, but at least its in a case.

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people get the time from the clock on the wall and use a house cue.
Some people buy a cheap cue and wear a Timex
Some people buy a multi thousand dollar cue and wear a Maitres du Temps

The choice of cue or timepiece is a personal expression, but price has very little to do with performance.

Love, be it for a woman, a watch, or for a cue, is the dilusion that one differs from another:grin: :grin: :grin:

jhr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why I collect?

I collect for the enjoyment. It gives me something to enjoy with one of my best friends in the world, my dad. He enjoys guns and knives and I don't share his passion. We got into cues, so that we could spend some quality time together and have memories of those times. I remember each cue and when we got them. We have made a decision to stay in a price range that allows us to have a large collection. We have met a lot of people and some we are able to call friends. As I grow older, I hope my daughter will enjoy the cues and pool. It would be great to pass along my passion that my father has given me. So I say if you get enjoyment from collecting cues and you don't miss a house payment, continue what you love.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Why do I collect cues ? Well I guess there are a few reasons ... One of them would be when I was younger and learning the game money was a factor ... I never seemed to have enough of it and lived day to day with most of my money being earned on the pool table. When I would go into the store where we had our cues worked on I always looked at the dispaly racks with all the nice cues lined up for sale ... Some real beauty's but I never had the money to buy the real nice ones ... so 3 or 400 was the most I could afford to spend... During those younger days in my life I only bought two cues in my life up till I was probably 48... One was a Jim Rempe cue with the little Rempe guy on the butt sleeve ... The other was a Schon R-11 with dashed rings and 2 shafts I fell in love with the Schon , both of those cues in my book were cheap cues under 3 or 400 but all I could afford. Though today there is nothing cheap about either cue and both command a high price. so in part these days I'm older and can spend a little more to get what I could not get when I was younger though still I seldom spend more then a grand on a cue. I guess part of me is making up for the days when I wished I could buy the cues I really wanted.

Part of me is still looking for that magic cue that has that special hit to it... The hit that suits me and the cue that feels perfect in my hands. I have never really owned a bad cue though as I play more and more with them I have gotten away from the steel jointed cues... I still have a weakness for the early 80's Schons and early Joss's those are the only steel jointed cues I still enjoy... I have sold or given away all of my steel jointed cues ... The worst cue I have ever owned was a Helmstetter cue it was very pretty and played ok as I said I have never owned a truly bad cue . It was way to light for me and my son loved it ... So I gave it to him as he is learning the game.

Part of me loves the custom world and the fact that you can design your own cue ... Have someone make it for you and marvel at thier work ... Agian I still can't afford the top of the line .... Or at least I can't see putting out several thousand in a cue that I won't play with ... I won't buy a cue I wont play with ... So I guess I'm not a true collector. But I love helping to design a custom cue and the hit of them when you get them... I try to shop for guys that I think are up and coming ... Guys that get good resale on thier cues ... Kind of like that cheap Schon R-11 I put up in my closet and pulled out 20 years later to find it tripled in value... Two of the best I have found so far in these catagories are Leon Sly and Doug Patrick ... Thier cues play very , very good and they are high quality and hold thier resale value pretty well...I'm still waiting on some cues to come in ... But I do really love the world of customs and and have made two very good friends going this route...

Yeah I'm also looking for that cue that don't miss too ... I think I will be searching a long time ... Though Sly and Patrick come very close.

The biggest part of it though is my love for the game ... And cues are a large part of the game... Heck I thought about collecting pool tables but it is much easier to store a cue then a table and the up keep is alot cheaper ... Though had I gone with tables I could open my own pool hall but then those are not doing well these days either. No matter what I will always have a love for a good cue and the work and art that goes into it ... I will hang onto my Sly and Doug Patrick cues and I'm sure thier will be other cue makers who's cues I really like and will use and I will hang onto those on down the line... When I decide I will not use a cue anymore I will sell them I don't consider myself a flipper and I hope most do not consider me a flipper ... I know what I want and I know what I will hang onto and let go of... It is part of my love for the game and wanting to check it all out as much as possible...

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I don't collect them, but I have a collection.

I have several because I run across one and want to know how it hits and how it compares to others and to my "ideal".

Seems like I go in stages where I'll buy one builders cue and then another of his and another and then get interested in another builder and buy a couple or more of his... and so on. I've accumulated 5 SW's, 5 Starkeys, 6 Sailors, 2 Blackheart's, 2 Predator, 2 Varney's that way. I just want to know how it plays and then how then next one plays and then... Oh! Hey! How about that one.. or that one.

Real intelligent buying on my part. :groucho:

Still havn't found one that hits as good as my first SW but I hate to take it out. It's too collectable/valuable to risk taking it to the ph. It's a JF, has six long points, no wrap, and is on the cover of the first Blue Book. It's sitting there on the rack, a thing of beauty that I take down and play with and drool over and put it back before I fuk it up. But I'm falling back in love with it and am getting close to just saying to hell with the $$$$$ and just sell eveything else and play with my favorite cue!

Last edited:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
JimS said:
I don't collect them, but I have a collection.
Still havn't found one that hits as good as my first SW but I hate to take it out. It's too collectable/valuable to risk taking it to the ph.

Blow the dust off that bad boy and go run a few. You know Jerry would approve.