15 Ball Ghost Rating Drill

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Gerry,

I may have missed it, but can you repost the video for your score of 15, so I can add it to the OP?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice 13 lol
Good news bad news, I watched mine and have 16 also :( but I made a 4 ball and scratched counting that as 2 so I don't know. Funny thing is I felt like I played good with a 16 and then watching it I was like wt* this is sh** lol Always told my students to get a better perspective, film and watch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_V7FQcyKoM&feature=youtu.be
Happy New Year All and lets get better in 2014!

Nice shooting. On that rack where you scratched counting as 2 (over counting), you also missed the entire ball on the kick you attempted and counted it as 1 (under counting), it counts as 2, so the two errors cancelled each other out. :D

Funny, you had the Beatles in one of the songs, and youtube kept it. I had a few Beatles songs on my 47 video, and Youtube made the whole video it seems silent. Can never figure that youtube filter out.

Joe T

Nice shooting. On that rack where you scratched counting as 2 (over counting), you also missed the entire ball on the kick you attempted and counted it as 1 (under counting), it counts as 2, so the two errors cancelled each other out. :D

Funny, you had the Beatles in one of the songs, and youtube kept it. I had a few Beatles songs on my 47 video, and Youtube made the whole video it seems silent. Can never figure that youtube filter out.

Thanks Nick, I don't think I'll be taking any more flier kicks in this drill.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe, what is your racking order. I can't see the numbers in the video, (and I'm colorblind). Looks like 3 solids in the front, and the back row is all solids? And stripes in the middle?

Thanks.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There was a copyright disclaimer under your video, but I was able to hear all of the music.

Joe T

Joe, what is your racking order. I can't see the numbers in the video, (and I'm colorblind). Looks like 3 solids in the front, and the back row is all solids? And stripes in the middle?

Thanks.

Messed with it a little this morning but from rackers perspective left to right we get;
4 5
14 15 11
7 13 12 9
3 6 10 8 2
Just started watching yours, I gotta figure why you're a C+ player, doens't make sense to me.
And I like how you used the coin for keeping track of misses, we should all use that.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Messed with it a little this morning but from rackers perspective left to right we get;
4 5
14 15 11
7 13 12 9
3 6 10 8 2
Just started watching yours, I gotta figure why you're a C+ player, doens't make sense to me.

Thanks!

Don't worry about fixing me.... the Greek Gods didn't give me the pool gene;)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I had mentioned earlier in the thread that I tried it over the weekend, but got frustrated and only made it through a couple racks.

The frustration stemmed from the horrible breaks. The pool hall I go to has those cheap plastic racks, and I was having a hard time getting a good rack. So every time I broke, I had tons of clusters. The majority of the time, there were 5-6 balls just bunched together in the rack area. I swear I had one break where I think only 5 balls had a pocket.

I'm just going to suck it up when I play this weekend, and try it again. I'll try to record it, so when I score over 100, you guys can see why :)

I'm just estimating though, that with a decent spread and minimal clusters, I might be able to score in the 45-60 range. High hopes though.

Buy a set of Magic Racks, you'll be glad you did. Johnnyt

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting Joe - it is crazy tough to stay focused I find. I had an 8 year old and a cocker spaniel sharking me too :) Is that an OB cue? I just picked one up that looks just like that but I find it deflects more than my z2.

Happy New Year guys.

I have definitely found a new practice drill - this is addictive. My last video violated a couple of rules so my 15 does not stand :)

On a side note - I have been chatting about American Rotation here and I have 1 and maybe 2 pool rooms interested. Let me know next steps and timing etc.

Gerry

Nice 13 lol
Good news bad news, I watched mine and have 16 also :( but I made a 4 ball and scratched counting that as 2 so I don't know. Funny thing is I felt like I played good with a 16 and then watching it I was like wt* this is sh** lol Always told my students to get a better perspective, film and watch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_V7FQcyKoM&feature=youtu.be
Happy New Year All and lets get better in 2014!

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe, on one of the last racks you went for a sharp angle cross over bank to the corner on the 2, barely missed, but made a carom instead. The new rules are slop counts:) So in the future, that would not be a penalty.

Gerry, are you finding this more addictive than straight pool? I've been practicing straight pool every time I play for 6 months now, and haven't tired of it yet. I think its the pursuit of a new high run that keeps me going.

I only did this 15 ball ghost twice, but it might have a similar affect. Too early to tell for myself.

BeiberLvr, thanks for setting this up, its a lot of fun. But the forum rules are the originator of a drill must participate:) Regarding the equipment at your local room, I had a case made that held a set of Aramith Super Pros and a Delta 13 rack, that I'd leave in my car all the time. I got it for high action one pocket games, where the rack of balls is super important when it comes to the break, and especially if the corner ball sells out a shot to your opponent. Anyway, might be a consideration for you to bring your own stuff if the local stuff is crap. You could also within the rule set take a BIH, hit the lowest OB first, and smash it into the cluster of balls if they really are that bad. I remember gambling with a guy 8 ball, and he would just tap the rack. So no matter what the layout, I would just resmash the rack on my first shot. Just for the principle of doing the opposite of what he wanted to do.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe, on one of the last racks you went for a sharp angle cross over bank to the corner on the 2, barely missed, but made a carom instead. The new rules are slop counts:) So in the future, that would not be a penalty.

Gerry, are you finding this more addictive than straight pool? I've been practicing straight pool every time I play for 6 months now, and haven't tired of it yet. I think its the pursuit of a new high run that keeps me going.

I only did this 15 ball ghost twice, but it might have a similar affect. Too early to tell for myself.

BeiberLvr, thanks for setting this up, its a lot of fun. But the forum rules are the originator of a drill must participate:) Regarding the equipment at your local room, I had a case made that held a set of Aramith Super Pros and a Delta 13 rack, that I'd leave in my car all the time. I got it for high action one pocket games, where the rack of balls is super important when it comes to the break, and especially if the corner ball sells out a shot to your opponent. Anyway, might be a consideration for you to bring your own stuff if the local stuff is crap. You could also within the rule set take a BIH, hit the lowest OB first, and smash it into the cluster of balls if they really are that bad. I remember gambling with a guy 8 ball, and he would just tap the rack. So no matter what the layout, I would just resmash the rack on my first shot. Just for the principle of doing the opposite of what he wanted to do.

You're absolutely right.

I will try it this weekend if I get around to going to play, which is likely.

But if I score over a 70, I'm definitely buying a MR.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by addictive you mean i can't wait to do it again then yes ;)

Cheers.

Joe T

Nice shooting Joe - it is crazy tough to stay focused I find. I had an 8 year old and a cocker spaniel sharking me too :) Is that an OB cue? I just picked one up that looks just like that but I find it deflects more than my z2.

Happy New Year guys.

I have definitely found a new practice drill - this is addictive. My last video violated a couple of rules so my 15 does not stand :)

On a side note - I have been chatting about American Rotation here and I have 1 and maybe 2 pool rooms interested. Let me know next steps and timing etc.

Gerry

Yea I have a visiting Pomeranian or however you spell it lol and I'm her new best friend, joy.

It is an OB but with the Pro shaft and tiny ferrule, the classic deflected more than I like but kind of an easy switch from z2 to this one for me.

I will keep you posted on American Rotation start dates for Series III I really hope we can get 4 rooms in Canada to form a region but I believe worst case is we'll work it out with 2 rooms. We might wait till after this National event at the Derby City Jan 25th to start to help give everyone a better idea of what we're doing. We need more rooms, right now every time we run a Series it costs a lot more than we take in and that can't last. Need more support from high level and aspiring players here in the states.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jon alerted me to this thread and the drill, which was nice since I hadn't read the forum or played pool since the week before Christmas, just busy with family visiting and the holidays.

Finally got a chance to play, so I practiced a little and then gave it a shot. I scored as follows:

1 - 0 - 6 (ouch) - 3 - 0 - 2 - 4 - 2 - 2 - 0 = 20

Haven't played 15 ball rotation in some time, I definitely let things get out of hand in the third rack, just spiraled downhill quickly, and looking back could have easily stopped the bleeding with a 3 or 4. But as others said, I also made a few other shots (combos and such) that I certainly didn't have to make, so it's a wash.

Will definitely do this some more, I think mid to high teens is certainly possible for me. I used to practice this way years ago but not with this structured format, just sort of threw 15 balls out and tried to run out in order, sometimes repeating shots after missing, sometimes just putting the ball in the hole and continuing. I always thought if I could get used to the extra congestion and concentration needed then 9 ball would feel that much easier. Doing this drill confirmed that, and the scoring and rules forces more concentration and focus, so I'll have to throw it in the rotation, no pun intended...

Will post a link to the video once it's done being processed and uploaded.

Thanks Jon for the idea!
Scott

Last edited:

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those 3 0's are pretty sporty though :)

Jon alerted me to this thread and the drill, which was nice since I hadn't read the forum or played pool since the week before Christmas, just busy with family visiting and the holidays.

Finally got a chance to play, so I practiced a little and then gave it a shot. I scored as follows:

1 - 0 - 6 (ouch) - 3 - 0 - 2 - 4 - 2 - 2 - 0 = 20

Haven't played 15 ball rotation in some time, I definitely let things get out of hand in the third rack, just spiraled downhill quickly, and looking back could have easily stopped the bleeding with a 3 or 4. But as others said, I also made a few other shots (combos and such) that I certainly didn't have to make, so it's a wash.

Will definitely do this some more, I think mid to high teens is certainly possible for me. I used to practice this way years ago but not with this structured format, just sort of threw 15 balls out and tried to run out in order, sometimes repeating shots after missing, sometimes just putting the ball in the hole and continuing. I always thought if I could get used to the extra congestion and concentration needed then 9 ball would feel that much easier. Doing this drill confirmed that, and the scoring and rules forces more concentration and focus, so I'll have to throw it in the rotation, no pun intended...

Will post a link to the video once it's done being processed and uploaded.

Thanks Jon for the idea!
Scott

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding Youtube audio tracks....

My video had the track muted by youtube because I had copyright claimed music playing on the radio. Now I was just watching the last part of Joe Tuckers video, and the sound is muted as well. It wasn't a couple of days ago, but I guess Youtube just caught up to him. Its a shame.

<====== I'm never playing music while recording any practice sessions again.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjWHgvQYw4&feature=youtu.be

I just got a 46, 1 better than last time. I used Joe Tuckers racking technique. It worked well, the 1 through 5 were usually out in the open, and the rest of the rack was mostly near the foot of the table like straight pool. Even so, I only beat my prior score by 1, where I was randomly racking, and smashing the rack. I'll try again in a few days. Whats amazing is I did this 3 times thus far, 30 racks, and didn't scratch on the break once:)

I also got a 2, which is my lowest thus far.

Score per rack: