15th Annual VA State 9 Ball Championships - July 21-22, 2018

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
Fellow Virginia & D.C. Pool Players,

I am happy to announce that Diamonds Billiards in Midlothian Virginia and Outsville will once again be sponsoring the 15th Annual Virginia State 9 Ball Championships.

It is hard to believe that 15 years ago, after coming home from the U.S. Open, that I decided to start an event that would showcase this states greatest pool players. This event would not have come this far without all of the support from the venue's and sponsors I have had through the years. However without the most important part of any event; without the players, we wouldn't be here.

Pool has seen some surprising news so far in 2018. First, we heard that Pat Fleming would be putting on the U.S. International Open in Norfolk, VA this year. 24 hours later, we learned that the U.S. Open 9 Ball Championships has been sold to Matchroom Sports and would be moving to Las Vegas next year. While I was sad to see the Open move to Vegas, I know it is the right move to take the sport and event to the next level. That being said, this year's State Champion will receive paid entry into the U.S. International Open!

As I have done in the last few years, I will be to do a separate ladies division again. If we have 16 players, I will put you in a separate bracket and the winner will be sent to the U.S. International Open, along with the winner of the State Championship!

I want to stress again that this year there will be a Dress Code. One Day 1, shorts will be acceptable. On Day 2, Dress Pants, Slacks or Khakis will be required. Collared shirts at all times. The only t-shirts that will be acceptable will be either from previous State Tournaments or from one of your sponsors. I want everyone to look their best when I hand you your trophy and/or cash!

The details for the State Championship are on the site:
www.va-pool.org

I will be updating this thread, a Facebook invite if you are a member of the Virginia Pool & Billiards Association page; as well as the website.

I have met many people that have been come and played every year and we have become friends because of this event. For those of you that make the trip to Richmond to play every year, thank you all so very much! For those coming to play for the first time this year, I look forward to meeting you.
I hope this message finds you well.

Please reach out to me if you have any questions or feedback on events or the website.

Attachments

• 2018 ST Flyer 2.jpg
    2018 ST Flyer 2.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 515

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
1 Month Out

We are 1 month out from the 15th Annual VA State 9 Ball Championships and sign ups are going great! It is shaping up to be another great State Championship! You will not want to miss it. If you have not signed up or reached out to me, do so soon.

I'll keep this post updated as we are getting closer to post!

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
Bruner wins his first VA State Title

Chris Bruner went undefeated to capture his first VA State 9 Ball title. Going into the finals, he beat his opponents by a combined score of 54-25 (racing to 9). He played extremely well. He would play the defending champion, Eric Moore, from VA Beach for the hot seat and again in the final.

The final's (race to 11) was a different story for Bruner. He got behind in the set after a few bad rolls and Moore had the lead at 8-5. Bruner got a few games and closed the gap but was still behind. At 10-8, Moore 3 railed the 8 ball in and got good shape on the 9 ball. He had a long shot in a corner pocket which caught part of the rail and hung in the pocket. This final was going the distance. At 10-10, Bruner was hooked behind the 8 with the 7,8 & 9 on the table. He made a great jump shot to make the 7 and have position on the 8. He made a great shot on the 8 shooting into the side pocket at the most severe angle possible. Bruner pockets the 8 with a clear shot on the 9 and his first VA State Title.

Congratulations Chris and to Eric Moore for another great finish.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Chris took 3rd in the NC State Championships.

Why doesn't Va allow out of state players like NC does?

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
I have always been of the opinion that the State Champion should live in the State they win a championship from.

I think Chris took 3rd in the NC State Championships.

Why doesn't Va allow out of state players like NC does?