1980s Joss cues made for Nick Varner

NYC

I am looking at a mid 1980s Joss made cue that was made for Nick Varner to sell thru his outlet? It has the printing on the joint collar Joss for Nick Varner World Champion and has a NV logo design on the area right below the linen wrap. I was told these Joss cues when new in the 1980s sold for over 1K. Does anyone have any information on these Joss cues.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking at a mid 1980s Joss made cue that was made for Nick Varner to sell thru his outlet? It has the printing on the joint collar Joss for Nick Varner World Champion and has a NV logo design on the area right below the linen wrap. I was told these Joss cues when new in the 1980s sold for over 1K. Does anyone have any information on these Joss cues.
Get in touch with Joss. I never saw one anywhere near a thousand dollars but you can surely find out from the folks that made them.

NYC

Get in touch with Joss. I never saw one anywhere near a thousand dollars but you can surely find out from the folks that made them.

I called both Joss and Nick Varner up inquiring about the stick. Stephen at Joss does remember producing the sticks for Nick to purchase and then do as his wished with them from there. After 40+ years and tens of thousands cue sticks Joss has produced in that time period, the folks there aren't going to remember every detail about 1 stick made 40 years prior. After describing the stick to Nick it did ring a bell with him, as a solid Bird's eye Maple forearm with the NV Logo under the wrap area. When asking about the original selling price of the cue, Nick said it was probably in the 350 to 400 dollar range back in the early 80s. Both Joss and the Kentucky Colonel are class acts and Nick was a fixture on ESPN billiards when ESPN was just starting out. World Champion 14:1 and 9 ball player, with over 100 titles.

When looking at the cue it was produced with a different joint then other Joss cues of the same time. It is shorter in height then the other Joss pieces and possibly wider in diameter. I was looking at several Joss cues from that time period and I took pictures on my phone. I didn't see the difference in the joint size until I looked at the pics later on. I believe the owner is ready to part ways with the cue. I will take it for a test spin next week and might just make an offer on the cue.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Without pictures it's impossible to tell what the cue is or who made it. Joss made a few and are not hard to I.D. All 5/16x14. Falcon made some They usually look like Falcons. Also 5/16/14. The bulk were made in China with a gold NV logo. They had a variety of pins. Pretty much you name it. Get some pictures and lets have a look. The China cues are/were pretty decent quality actually.

Last edited:

NYC

The pics aren't they greatest, but they do show the NV stick.

Attachments

• #2Ver2.jpg
    #2Ver2.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 58
  • #3Ver2.jpg
    #3Ver2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 55
  • #1vr2.jpg
    #1vr2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 57
  • #6Ver2.jpg
    #6Ver2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 61
  • #4ver2.jpg
    #4ver2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 63

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice old Joss, It's a 5/16"x14" pin, Made around 1985. No on the $1k price tag. It's a shame Joss Cues does not have the archive pages available anymore. The NV is decorative inlay vs the Gold NV logo The Nick Varner world champion can be found on both Joss and Falcon forearms and some imports as well. Here are some example I found on a the duck.
$_12.JPGfalcon cue 2.jpgnv.jpgOzQsLWGl-1642630482.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Reactions: NYC

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1985, my uncle and I each bought a joss - made for Nick Varner from his father at the pro shop in oboro. I bought the njv3 and my uncle bought the njv2. I believe I gave around 400ish and my uncle around 300 ish. There was a Polaroid photo that came with them showing the 4 in the set. Some years ago, I sold them on this forum. Search should yield results.