1982 Nick Varner Joss cue FS...

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Rating - 99.1%
114   1   0
Heya guys,

CUE IS SOLD!! Thanks!

As promised, I've settled my E-bay disaster, and am listing this cue here. Below are pics of the cue, and a good chunk of the detailed description I used for the auction on E-bay, too:

Nick Varner special order Joss Custom Cue. This cue was built by Joss Cues in 1982, specifically for, and purchased by, world class pool champion Nick Varner. I purchased this previously “unknown” cue a few months ago, without knowing who had made it (cue was unmarked). I began asking questions as to the cue’s heritage, and at first could not come up with much. As the cue was in need of a refinish and rewrap, I removed the fraying wrap myself, and found written on the maple handle: “N.V. – for Phil Schmitt,1982.” I sent a few e-mails out, one of which was answered by Mr. Stephen Janes at Joss Cues.

Mr. Janes' EXACT reply was as follows: "Yes we did make that cue. There were very few made. It was a model we made for Nick Varner. On the ebony ring just below the wrap, in white letters it said, “Joss for Nick Varner World Champion”. It was a model NV-J-1. The cue was obviously made for Phil Schmit in 1982. I think it came originally with an off white with light brown spot wrap. 58” long, one shaft with an Ivory ferrule. I don’t have an original price on the cue because all were purchased by Nick Varner personally and sold by him. I hope this helps. Stephen Janes www.josscues.com "

I’m told this cue isn’t even in the Nick Varner catalogs. That shows just how FEW of these were made, and how rare they really are!

Cue specs:
Built in 1982 by Joss Custom Cues, this cue is 58” long, tip to bumper..and weighs in at right around 19.4-19.5 ounces. Shaft: One shaft, measuring at approx. 12.6mm, piloted brass insert, ivory or Ivor-x replacement ferrule (not micarta or phenolic), and newer Triangle tip. Joint Collars: Each black phenolic joint collar comes with ebony and maple dash rings. Joint: 5/16-14 stainless steel piloted joint. Butt section: Birdseye maple forearm with four dark Rosewood or Macassar Ebony points (not completely sure, but it’s one of the two). Five (5) veneers at each point. Outer most point is a rounded CNC-type ebony veneer. Interior 4 veneers (red, red, maple, green) are super sharp!! Wrap: Brand new white with black specs Irish Linen wrap. Butt: Matching dark rosewood/macassar ebony buttsleeve, with maple center section and rosewood/ebony windows. Green trim ring above and below maple center section. Just below wrap, there’s a thick ebony ring, bordered by a thin maple ring. White delrin buttcap with black rubber bumper.

This cue was just refinished and rewrapped by Mr. Sherbine at Proficient Billiards…and the cue LOOKS BRAND NEW!!! The cue used to have some spots of finish flaking…and the wrap was really worn down…but now it looks as though Joss cues just made it! Cue is stunning, and the “hit” of this work of art is phenomenal!!! Of note, there is a very, very, minor rollout with the cue. Totally unnoticeable when looking at, holding, or…most importantly…playing with the cue. If you were to roll it on a table, though, you could see a tiny bit of light come through at the bottom. The ferrule/tip never leaves the table, so it really is minor, and most definitely does not affect the awesome playability of the cue at all.

So, there ya go, folks. If interested, drop me a PM. I'd prefer to sell it here, rather than E-bay. I trust ya'll more! :) If no bites, I'll chew on the possibility of taking it back to E-bay, though. PLEASE SPARE ME THAT PAIN!!

By the way, a copy of the message I received from Mr. Janes will go to the buyer, too.

The first pic will be one from Scot Sherbine's site. It's the third cue from the bottom (with the blue painter's tape on it)...and shows the writing on the handle section (referenced above). The rest are the cue as of right now.

Be good, ya'll.

Mark (Rat)

Attachments

• Joss1.jpg
    Joss1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5,813
  • Joss2.jpg
    Joss2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,843
  • Joss3.jpg
    Joss3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,648
  • Joss4.jpg
    Joss4.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Joss5.jpg
    Joss5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,717
Last edited:

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I tried to buy one of these, although it was a tad different. Unfortunately, he wouldn't part with it. The one I am talking about had green veneers, and said Nick Varner below the steel joing. Awesome looking cue.

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Rating - 99.1%
114   1   0
PoolSleuth said:
What is the Price you are asking?
Heya guys....

Sorry, I typed so much in the initial post, I forgot the important part! :)

This cue sold for $506.77, plus shipping.

As I've been able to recoup some of my fees from the failure of a buyer I had for it, I'm shooting for $500...including shipping and insurance.

If the buyer prefers, I can send the cue with TWO shafts (the second will be a Tim Scruggs shaft with black collar) for $600.

Again, I'd much rather sell it to an AZB'er....there's a higher level of trust here, ya know?

Thanks

Rat (Mark)

Last edited:

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Rating - 99.1%
114   1   0
Bump...

Bump to top,

Based on the bad timing of this deal falling through this week, I'll probably post it on E-bay this afternoon. (So e-bayers will see it close out on Sunday NEXT week...if it has to go there).

Can't wait another full week, as I've got money dedicated already to something else.

Thanks,

Rat

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Rating - 99.1%
114   1   0
Bamacues said:
Hey Rat...really glad things worked out...
Thanks, Joe. Somehow, I knew selling it here would turn out much better than the alternative. The guy that bought it sounds like a real stand-up kind of guy...and he paid me the SECOND we came to an agreement. The fact that he hangs around the forums, too, makes him a safer bet as far as appreciating the cue for what it is...know what I mean?

Rat