$2000 Bank Bend Challenge

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As indicated on the $2000 Bank Bend Challenge page, the competition is open through the end of July, 2016. The cash will be paid out to the person with the best bend of all videos posted online by July 31, 2016.

Good luck,
Dave

Ooops, sorry. When I visited the page I was eager to just watch the video and failed to see that. Thanks.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Must the shot be made by a forum member ? My friend who will work on this shot until July is not a member presently. I don't want fine print to negate a submission.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Must the shot be made by a forum member ? My friend who will work on this shot until July is not a member presently. I don't want fine print to negate a submission.
The challenge is open to everybody in the entire world. It has gotten a lot of attention on both Facebook and YouTube, so I suspect we will have many non-AZB entrants.

Good luck to your friend,
Dave

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member
I'm anxious for Darren's video, he seems to love these challenge type contests.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO, Mark(pool101) has already done it base on the original challenge before ALL of the added stipulations
FYI, the original challenge was:

$1000 for bending around a 1 1/8" obstacle defined by the placement of three pegs positioned with the help of a long, straight 1" board, with in-person demonstrations only.

The new challenge is:

$2000 for bending around a 1" obstacle and $200 for the best bend (if 1" not reached), with the board and three pegs replaced by a single toilet-paper-roll tube and a single ruler measurement, with online video submittals allowed.

Aren't all of the "added stipulations" better? !!!

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
FYI, the original challenge was:

$1000 for bending around a 1 1/8" obstacle defined by the placement of three pegs positioned with the help of a long, straight 1" board, with in-person demonstrations only.

The new challenge is:

$2000 for bending around a 1" obstacle and $200 for the best bend (if 1" not reached), with the board and three pegs replaced by a single toilet-paper-roll tube and a single ruler measurement, with online video submittals allowed.

Aren't all of the "added stipulations" better? !!!

Can you throw in an extra $1000 per inch bent? I'm feeling like I could throw down a 3 or 4 incher

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
The question is, who's gonna be the first guy to spray some stickum on their old worn out cloth that needs to be changed anyway, and steal this money? :D

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you throw in an extra $1000 per inch bent? I'm feeling like I could throw down a 3 or 4 incher
The rules and prize amounts in the $2000 Bank Bend Challenge have not and will not be changed. But if you can really bend around a 3-4" obstacle, in compliance with the contest rules, the $2000 should be easy cash for you.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The question is, who's gonna be the first guy to spray some stickum on their old worn out cloth that needs to be changed anyway, and steal this money? :D
Well, we have rules to prevent this sort of thing. But if somebody wants to cheat, and we have no way of detecting the cheat on video, and if everything else is in compliance with the challenge rules, then we will still honor our word and pay the money.

I look forward to seeing some honest entries,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I can't seem to come up with the toilet paper roll. I strictly use corn husks and old newspaper.
I know you are joking, but it is possible that some people in some countries might not have convenient access to a toilet-paper-roll tube. That's why I included the following statement in the rules:

If you don't have a toilet-paper-roll tube handy, any cylindrical object 4" or higher is fine.

Regards,
Dave

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you are joking, but it is possible that some people in some countries might not have convenient access to a toilet-paper-roll tube. That's why I included the following statement in the rules:

If you don't have a toilet-paper-roll tube handy, any cylindrical object 4" or higher is fine.

Regards,
Dave

How do you know I'm joking lol. I refrained from eating the donuts before they could be placed on the table 😊

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
We finally have two official entries to the $2000 Bank Bend Challenge. Here they are:

Dave Gross (12squared) entry

Dr. Dave entry

These and future entries, along with the current standings, can be found on the $2000 Bank Bend Challenge webpage.

These two videos are good examples for two reasons:

1.) They show how easy it is to record a shot and take the single measurement, as required by the challenge rules.

2.) They show that both accuracy and curve amount are important. For example, the ball actually curves more in Dave Gross' video, but because he had a large clearance between the CB and tube, the measurement is not as good as it could have been with a more accurate hit and/or better ball/tube setup.

I look forward to seeing entries soon from the big benders out there.

Good luck,
Dave

PS: I want to thank Dave Gross for offering up his nice home table and setting for the filming. I'm glad we now have a benchmark for people to go after. It shouldn't be very difficult to beat.

Last edited:

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
My hope

Dave, is that (recognizing you as the academician that you are combined with Mr. Jewett's career accomplishments outside the realm of biliards), you have found a Colorado politician willing to provide government funding for your continued delving into the science of a rolling ball, woven cloth and rubber, the intricacies of which are actually fascinating.
I look forward to the day when one of your studies is included in the yearly "Golden Fleece" award. I know we all will have arrived.
I will suscribe to this thread and hope that as I write this you and Mr. Jewett are indulging in a favorite beverage while dreaming up yet another pythagorean nightmare.
Great stuff.:thumbup:
Tommy

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, is that (recognizing you as the academician that you are combined with Mr. Jewett's career accomplishments outside the realm of biliards), you have found a Colorado politician willing to provide government funding for your continued delving into the science of a rolling ball, woven cloth and rubber, the intricacies of which are actually fascinating.
I look forward to the day when one of your studies is included in the yearly "Golden Fleece" award. I know we all will have arrived.
I will suscribe to this thread and hope that as I write this you and Mr. Jewett are indulging in a favorite beverage while dreaming up yet another pythagorean nightmare.
Great stuff.:thumbup:
Tommy
Thank you ... I think. :confused:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anybody plans to enter the $2000 Bank Bend Challenge? The video I posted is currently in 1st place, and it is not a very good bend at all. Surely somebody can beat that for the cash.

Good luck,
Dave

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I don't see any good bends, I might have to jump on this. So far I haven't seen anyone use the best technique for wicked bends.