2013 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just ran a 138 :O

As far as table size is concerned I haven't attempted much on a 7 footer. There is one in my area at my buddies house so I don't get much chance to let rip on one. And its quite cramped at his so its all the more tougher. The chances I have had to let rip I haven't hit over 50. That's down to being jacked up from lack of space mostly. If I had room to work with and a 7' table at hand I'd fancy my chances of pushing 200.

9 footers are the norm for me, I play at home on mine most days so its what I'm used to. I'd love to have a chance on a 10' table, but I know of none in the country :(

Pidge:

Hey mate -- just saw this. Congrats -- very nice run! I'll take a 138 any day. Sounds like you were in dead stroke.

Your synopsis of play on 7-foot tables versus 9-footers is dead on -- most agree, except those who only have/play on 7-footers, it seems. Once one has strong fundamentals (including a repeatable stroke, with touch), big runs are very reachable on the 7-footer. It's just a question of dealing with the increased pocket-to-rail ratio that exists on a 7-footer. You really have to control the cue ball, otherwise those closer-together pockets swallow whitey up. Strong stun/punch shots -- instead of spinning the cue ball to get around -- seem to work much better. Working clusters is the same as on 9-footers, except they are by design closer to you (because of the smaller table real estate), so hitting/working them is no problem.

One thing I found that helps when going someplace that only has barboxes, is to bring your own table brush and can of ball cleaner with you. Whenever I go out to visit my folks in Denver (Colorado), I find these to be very useful. Nothing worse than playing on an unkempt barbox where the cue ball wobbles around while rolling on the table and snuggles up against an object ball repeatedly.

Anyway, again, very nice run -- 138!

-Sean

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well

For a top pro with fantastic cb control, it probably is easier. For the general public without that cb control, it's a different matter altogether.

actually neil I took me about 7 innings but I ran 180 something with a borrowed cue with bob jewett standing by watching. I fould it to b quite easy. u end up so close to bb u cant miss it. its a little tougher in someways but all in all I think easier then 9ft. a 4x8 is the perfect bhlend of room but easiness. I can run 200 plus at least 20 times a month on 4x8

also something I don't get around to saying on each run is congrats but I just want to say anybody on here when u guys run 50 plus on any table congrats cause that's a lot harder then most realize so anyway anybody whos run 50 plus in their life I consider a good player for the record

Last edited:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I'd love to have a chance on a 10' table, but I know of none in the country :(
great 138 run! I'm sure there should be snooker 10-footers. If guys from the past used to gamble One Pocket on snooker tables, why not try some 14,1 on them? :D

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great 138 run! I'm sure there should be snooker 10-footers. If guys from the past used to gamble One Pocket on snooker tables, why not try some 14,1 on them? :D
Stop trying to give me nightmares! 14.1 on a 10ft snooker table is scary lol
We do have a set of spots and stripes snooker balls at my club and I've dabbled in 15 ball rotation in a 12x6 and only managed to run out all 15 a handful of times. I will give 14.1 a try on the 12x6s though. In many ways its similar to snooker with how you work through a rack or work through the reds. I can imagine though when picking a break ball it would have to be underneath the rack because for a right hander into either corner pocket it would be such a stretch to reach the CB with enough angle to go into the pack if the BB is either side of the rack.

If I run over 20 ill be happy, but getting through just 14 will be tough going.

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's been a frustrating year for high runs. i feel like i've never played better, but have had only a handful of 50+ runs, with a high of 65 in September. the drought broke on Saturday, however, when i ran my personal best of 80. cleanest run i've ever had-- no banks required and only a couple of combinations.

no videos, unfortunately. the tables best suited for filming are pretty well worn out and beat-up from the banger clientele.

regards, jim

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
it's been a frustrating year for high runs. i feel like i've never played better, but have had only a handful of 50+ runs, with a high of 65 in September. the drought broke on Saturday, however, when i ran my personal best of 80. cleanest run i've ever had-- no banks required and only a couple of combinations.

no videos, unfortunately. the tables best suited for filming are pretty well worn out and beat-up from the banger clientele.

regards, jim

If you run more and more 50 s consistantly all is fine Jim-- i m sure there has already been a click in your game--and the other click will give you the next boost.
It will just happen- don t hunt it.

have a smooth stroke.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
actually neil I took me about 7 innings but I ran 180 something with a borrowed cue with bob jewett standing by watching. I fould it to b quite easy. u end up so close to bb u cant miss it. its a little tougher in someways but all in all I think easier then 9ft. a 4x8 is the perfect bhlend of room but easiness. I can run 200 plus at least 20 times a month on 4x8

also something I don't get around to saying on each run is congrats but I just want to say anybody on here when u guys run 50 plus on any table congrats cause that's a lot harder then most realize so anyway anybody whos run 50 plus in their life I consider a good player for the record

Thumbs up for this nice comment towards the community.
I enjoy it that you posting here and there again on AZ :)

bw
Ingo

Culinarytracker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ran a nice clean 34 on a 7' valley bar box. My next highest run was 24 on an 8' table at my dad's house.

I seem to get to 20 pretty easily, just seem to miss something stupid.

Next year will be better.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yesterday a 25 during a match. was ugly pool, typical 9ball style :eek: (long shots, banks,...)

still, first time pool after weeks, first time straight pool after months im happy to be on 1/4 of the path :D

best regards,

ben

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played very little 14.1 this year as the diamond 9' with procut pockets is to hard on me! I never could get through 2 racks.
I have Mark Wilson's new book and after 5 days of practice played 4 innings-starting with
a breakshot and full rack each time
1 missed breakball.haven't shot one in 6 months LOL
2 pocketed breakball rolled up against a ball.missed a tough shot-the only shot I had.
3 broke good ran 9 dogged 1. this table demands concentration!
4 ran 41 -missed good shape for ball to keyball-had to reach and didn't draw back far enough for a text book ball in the side setup to breakball.

Mark's book is the nuts. I have played for 30+ yrs-if I had this book all along I might be
reallisticly chasing 527.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I have Mark Wilson's new book
Mark's book is the nuts. I have played for 30+ yrs-if I had this book all along I might be
reallisticly chasing 527.
could you open a thread about Mark's book in Instructional Material reviews section? And express your thoughts on it. I think it deserves being brought to light and reviewed there. Thanks in advance.

rjbigfish

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Silver Member
I just ran 100 for the first time in my life tonight. My previous high run was 84 about 5 or 6 years ago and I do not play 14.1 much at all. A few months ago I decided to practice it at least a few times a week. Tonight on my 2nd attempt I ran 113 on my own table. The run ended after the cueball went up table after the break shot and left me with a very tough cut or a combo as my only shots. I tried to shoot the combo and missed it horribly and that was that. I am going to try and start recording my runs now and hope to capture a 100 ball run on video sometime :).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ran 100 for the first time in my life tonight. My previous high run was 84 about 5 or 6 years ago and I do not play 14.1 much at all. A few months ago I decided to practice it at least a few times a week. Tonight on my 2nd attempt I ran 113 on my own table. The run ended after the cueball went up table after the break shot and left me with a very tough cut or a combo as my only shots. I tried to shoot the combo and missed it horribly and that was that. I am going to try and start recording my runs now and hope to capture a 100 ball run on video sometime :).

Congratulations getting to 3 digits!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

Welcome to the *club* ^^
Great job sir!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Where's the "Like" button? :thumbup2:

And, oh yes; welcome to the club!!
-Sean

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
2013 straight pool challenge

HI ran 38 balls a few years ago dont play much 14.1 i generally play snooker high run in snooker 118 that was 30 years ago i am from Canada