2019 Mosconi Cup -- 3 USA spots set

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Due to the lack of a professional organization in North America, in particular, the United States, the existing lot of professional male players has dwindled down to a drip. Let's face it. We just don't have that many as we used to.

Back in the '80s and even '90s, there were 30 or 40 American male players who would perform well in the Mosconi Cup. Today, by my observation of what's out there, we have less than 10, maybe less than 5, truth be told.

Coming from me, this is going to sound odd to some. In the '80s and '90s, it was an accepted societal norm in many circles, especially the pool room, to alter one's state of consciousness at will. Many players used illegal substances to stay up and keep alert, giving them endurance for all-nighters in combat. While everybody else was sipping on H2O or sodas, one, maybe two, used alcohol when in combat to relax, while others smoked pot, had to have pot, before their matches.

Today it's all about the opioids and pills. It's an epidemic across America. Sad to say, some use the pills now to shoot pool effectively, while some others smoke pot to relax the nerves before a match. The players know who's using and who's not.

From all accounts I've heard from those in the know, Sky and Shane are clean as a whistle and do not use illegal substances or engage in alcohol or smoke pot before matches to relax. Thank goodness!

This may be one of American pool's dirty little secrets, substance abuse before and during matches, but anybody who's been to the Derby City Classic and other big pool extravaganzas know what's happening.

Again, coming from me, this may be odd to say, but I think they should test the players before selection to represent Team USA at the Mosconi Cup. I could never envision Klenti, David Alcaide, or Alex Kazakis with drugs in their system, and I don't want to see it in our players either.

I'm probably going to get heat for this post, but so be it. There, I said my piece. :smile:

excellent post!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer had a decent/good showing at MC 2018. His fargo is 735 and ranked #47 among US players.

I think the other 3 choices should depend on how they play throughout 2019.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB
Sky
Thorpe
Bergman

Let the 5th pick be a fan vote (for both teams). Matchroom can create a poll with the top X players (based on either Fargo Rate, top finishes, money earned, etc)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Styer had a decent/good showing at MC 2018. His fargo is 735 and ranked #47 among US players.

I think the other 3 choices should depend on how they play throughout 2019.
Styer also played above his rating during the MC. He won four more games than his rating predicted which is the largest "surplus" of any player. If you give him half a game played for each game in a doubles match, he won 11.5 games out of 24.5 played. That means he performed at around a 790 level based on the players he played.

That's not really enough games to justify a decision now, but he did play very well under huge pressure.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think albin will qualify for the team. maybe mario he or kazakis
Albin is very calm under pressure and always does well. If it were me I would 100% drop Shaw and Kaci this year. Shaw's attitude and mental game is bad and Kaci still crumbles under the shot clock on big matches. If Albin is in I would like to pair him with Mario He. It was stupid that he got booted off last year and really deserves a shot. My team would be;
Filler, Gorst, Albin, He and Alcaide. Maybe Niels or Kazakis. Niels hasn't had the best year and it bothers me that Kazakis bottled it in the world 9 ball and masters from winning positions.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A generally valid post, and both Europe and America, sadly, have those who use and abuse substances to help them at the pool table.

Although Europe and the US have this issue, the fact is that drug testing in pool is restricted to events falling under the WPA sanctioned umbrella. That includes all WPA events (Eurotour events and BCA pro events fall under WPA). As we know, Mario He was tested in association with a Eurotour event and his bad result led to his self-imposed ineligibility for the 2018 Mosconi.

... but the Mosconi is an exhibition that doesn't fall under the WPA umbrella so, at least as I understand it, drug testing is inapplicable before or after the event because players are not bound by the rules that would otherwise apply.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I see the logic behind them.

My thought is this. Screw the blue-blooded WPA and their stupid screening tests for pool players taking blood pressure medicine to stay alive. Who do they think they are?

Sure, pool needs a governing body to get in the Olympics Games. I get it, but this WPA is like the Wizard of Oz. Everybody knows who's behind the curtain.

I don't think WPA has any right to test for illegal substances. Why are they doing it to Europeans, like poor Mario He, and not all competitors? There's something rotten in Denmark.

I believe Team USA would be represented better by American players who exhibit a certain lifestyle, one that does not involve substance abuse. I'm not talking about somebody who drinks a few brewskies. I'm talking about those who abuse illegal substances or any substance to stay awake to shoot pool.

The players know who's who in the pool worlds. Let them share their thoughts with Team USA's captain and co-captain.

I don't give a hoot about the stupid WPA, and I hope Barry Hearn doesn't either. Let Matchroom Sport be the new WPA for pool. Barry Hearn is going to put pool on the international map. What has WPA done for pool lately?

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Ok...I have a new list with a surprise! I just couldn't leave Corey out. He has been too consistant the past few years, so I threw him back in the mix.

In order of my final selection (which means Jack shit BTW):

SVB
Woodward
Corey
Thorpe
Bergman

Dominguez
, Alternate
Roberts
Styer
Bowman

I reserve the right to change my mind. :eek:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Albin is very calm under pressure and always does well. If it were me I would 100% drop Shaw and Kaci this year. Shaw's attitude and mental game is bad and Kaci still crumbles under the shot clock on big matches. If Albin is in I would like to pair him with Mario He. It was stupid that he got booted off last year and really deserves a shot. My team would be;
Filler, Gorst, Albin, He and Alcaide. Maybe Niels or Kazakis. Niels hasn't had the best year and it bothers me that Kazakis bottled it in the world 9 ball and masters from winning positions.

sure, i agree that albin has the qualities. but i don't think he will qualify

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I see the logic behind them.

My thought is this. Screw the blue-blooded WPA and their stupid screening tests for pool players taking blood pressure medicine to stay alive. Who do they think they are?

Sure, pool needs a governing body to get in the Olympics Games. I get it, but this WPA is like the Wizard of Oz. Everybody knows who's behind the curtain.

I don't think WPA has any right to test for illegal substances. Why are they doing it to Europeans, like poor Mario He, and not all competitors? There's something rotten in Denmark.

I believe Team USA would be represented better by American players who exhibit a certain lifestyle, one that does not involve substance abuse. I'm not talking about somebody who drinks a few brewskies. I'm talking about those who abuse illegal substances or any substance to stay awake to shoot pool.

The players know who's who in the pool worlds. Let them share their thoughts with Team USA's captain and co-captain.

I don't give a hoot about the stupid WPA, and I hope Barry Hearn doesn't either. Let Matchroom Sport be the new WPA for pool. Barry Hearn is going to put pool on the international map. What has WPA done for pool lately?

I know bashing WPA is one of your favorite pastimes, but I'm not sure that I said anything plus or minus about WPA. I only took note of the fact that substance testing of any kind is not policy for anyone but those conducting events under the WPA umbrella, and certainly not for Matchroom.

At present, independent promoters are not bound by any rules relating to substance testing, and, at least to this point in the game's history, they generally don't bother with it.

The matter of how and who to test is completely separate from the fact that promoters of independent events choose not to test, and Matchroom events are all independent.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know bashing WPA is one of your favorite pastimes, but I'm not sure that I said anything plus or minus about WPA. I only took note of the fact that substance testing of any kind is not policy for anyone but those conducting events under the WPA umbrella, and certainly not for Matchroom.

At present, independent promoters are not bound by any rules relating to substance testing, and, at least to this point in the game's history, they generally don't bother with it.

The matter of how and who to test is completely separate from the fact that promoters of independent events choose not to test, and Matchroom events are all independent.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Bashing the WPA is not one of my favorite pastimes, FWIW. I am sickened and disgusted with the state of professional
pool, and the WPA isn't doing anything, IMO to help it get better.

The point of my post is that I hope Matchroom Sport becomes the world governing body of pool, and as well, it is my opinion that any player representing Team USA should be clean as a whistle, whether Mosconi Cup is an independent exhibition or an Olympic Game.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to hear who Sky and Shane think is worthy to be on Team USA. :)

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drugs and alcohol

Many different reasons.

I was a bad alcoholic most of my life. That is what I did. I drank alcohol and functioned in life on the side. I have moved on and do other things now.

My point is some of these guys may use it to play better, but a lot of them just smoke pot every day or drink everyday and that is what they do. They also play pool, work, play pokemon or whatever else.

I am not a believer, after thousands of hours of study, that pot or alcohol makes any significant difference in a players playing ability to the upside. I don't believe anyone is a better driver drunk or buzzed either. No I don't buy the bs it perks you up, or you pay more attention, or releases nerves etc....

Now some other drugs to stay focused or up all night yeah they are a problem as far as I am concerned, I finished a 40 hour session on depressants if you will, while my opponent was on the opposite. I am in great physical shape though and flipped it and won the last ten hours.

Pot and Alcohol are just not a problem unless it causes you to get punched in the eye.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Bashing the WPA is not one of my favorite pastimes, FWIW. I am sickened and disgusted with the state of professional
pool, and the WPA isn't doing anything, IMO to help it get better.

The point of my post is that I hope Matchroom Sport becomes the world governing body of pool, and as well, it is my opinion that any player representing Team USA should be clean as a whistle, whether Mosconi Cup is an independent exhibition or an Olympic Game.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you last post.

I wonder whether Matchroom has any desire to be pool's governing body. Why would any independent producer of events want to be that?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wonder whether Matchroom has any desire to be pool's governing body. Why would any independent producer of events want to be that?

In December 2009 Hearn was elected as the new WPBSA Chairman after Sir Rodney Walker failed to get re-elected and left his post.

In June 2010, following a vote by the members, Hearn took over a 51% controlling interest in the organisation's commercial business World Snooker Limited with a view to revitalising the game.

He has a large stake in the governing body of snooker. Why not pool? Looks like he's heading that way, IMO.:)

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2019 Mosconi Cup

I think the team that won it last year, should be able to defend. No changes, keep it the way it was last year.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

As we know, Snooker, he's only got that 30% figured out, was one of his comments. :p
We're very lucky the have the 2019 US Open, Luke was able see Earl the Pearl in his ''prime''. That alone will get you hooked on 9 ball and rotation play. If it wasn't for Earl, there might never of been MORE pool. Thx Luke :thumbup: