2024 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played one set of 9-ball today and lost 5-7.

I’ve barely played the past couple of months due to some personal things, but I’m hitting balls again now. I tried the 10-ball ghost a couple of sets but it just wasn’t competitive, so I switched to 9-ball.

9-Ball Ghost, Race to 7

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6-ball ghost, 7-4 win.

I decided I’m going to work my way back up, starting with 6-ball. I’m working on my 10-ball break, so the way I’m doing it is break 10-ball, then pull the lowest balls off to leave 6 on the table.

My ADD is savage. I’m studying, on AZ, recording ghost sets, editing/uploading vids to YouTube, and working out. It’s a wonder I ever get anything done! 😂

6-Ball Ghost, Race to 7

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7-ball ghost, 7-1 win.

I remembered I could play a little this set. 😃 Same thing, break 10-ball and pull the lowest balls off to leave 7. Next is 1 on the spot 9-ball. But not tonight. I’ll have to work on that later. I’ve got a busy couple of weeks ahead. After I get a win on the regular 9-ball ghost, I’ll play with the 9 on the spot and break box. Then 10-ball last.

7-Ball Ghost, Race to 7

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7-ball ghost, 7-1 win.

I remembered I could play a little this set. 😃 Same thing, break 10-ball and pull the lowest balls off to leave 7. Next is 1 on the spot 9-ball. But not tonight. I’ll have to work on that later. I’ve got a busy couple of weeks ahead. After I get a win on the regular 9-ball ghost, I’ll play with the 9 on the spot and break box. Then 10-ball last.

7-Ball Ghost, Race to 7
I like how you learn to walk first before getting on running :)
Good way to get back on track!

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6-7 loss, 9 ball ghost.

Had some time today so I played a set. I lost, but it was close! I’ll play more when I have time and see if I can win one.

9-Ball Ghost, Race to 7 (3/20/24)

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball ghost, 7-4 win.

It was ugly, but I’ll take it! On to the 9 on the spot and break box. I’m going to use the Matchroom break box. Should be interesting. I haven’t practiced the break box a lot, and I’ve never played the ghost with the Matchroom break box.

9-Ball Ghost, Race to 7 (3/21/24)

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball ghost, 9 on the spot with the Matchroom break box. 7-4 win.

On to 10 ball, I guess? I took time to put an extra spot on my table and mark the break box, then won the first set. 😂 I feel like the layouts were a little easier with the 9 on the spot. It’s only one set though, so who knows. Maybe I just got lucky. I’ll probably practice this way a little more since I took the time to set my table up for it, but I’m moving on to 10-ball. Can’t play the next couple of days, but I’ll try to get a decent 10 ball set this weekend.

9-Ball Ghost, 9 On The Spot and Break Box

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 ball ghost, 5-7 loss.

The 10 ball ghost beat my ass. I had plenty of time to play the last couple of days and never got to the hill. Lots of 5-7, 4-7, and 3-7 sets. But couldn’t get there. I’ll have some time to play later today and tomorrow, so I’ll see if I can get ‘em then.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really a match because i went to sleep after these 4 racks.
Came to practice in our club after night shift and after other practice, decided to play Pagualayan rules 15-ball ghost match(race to 7)
I played very good and 3rd rack have couple very nice shots. Ran out all 4 racks but had to go sleep after I noticed how much clock is haha.
Also I felt very exhausted after being up at whole night and felt i can´t play race to 7 and keep my focus so long.
Played 27th of January and just found this one when cleaning up hard disk :)

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more 5-7 loss from the other day. I won’t post any more sets until I beat the 10-ball ghost, lol.

I don’t know why the 10-ball ghost is so much harder for me than 9-ball. Probably a combination of things…my break isn’t good enough, cue ball isn’t good enough, and shotmaking isn’t good enough. Good enough for 9-ball though. 🤷

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know why the 10-ball ghost is so much harder for me than 9-ball.
That extra ball is bigger than you think.
If you make a ball from break on 10-ball you still need run 9 balls... Or if you break dry you got whooping 10-balls.
9-ball breaks make often 1-2 balls so you often start with 7-ball ghost.
So if you think it is the balls after the break that makes ghost hard because every extra ball cut a ton of routes away from table. Also extra balls cut out possible pockets from object balls. Then you are forced to make positional routes that you are maybe not so confident.

That´s why i moved to 15-ball ghost. It crushed me time after time until i started to play "right" shot even i did not like to shoot it.
It is just brutal if you have any weaknesses on your game. You very often can´t go route of bigger landing zone because table so crowded. So you just have to get more accurate with cueball and speed. But whenever you can try always use smartest way to maximize margin of error on positions.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
…Then you are forced to make positional routes that you are maybe not so confident.

That´s why i moved to 15-ball ghost. It crushed me time after time until i started to play "right" shot even i did not like to shoot it…
That’s great advice, actually. Thank you. I think I need to just keep playing 10-ball and focus on playing the right shots instead of trying to do what’s comfortable. Side pockets are a weakness for me, for example. I usually try to avoid shooting balls in the side if I can.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10-ball ghost, 7-2 win…but not really, lol. I took balls off after the break to leave 8 on the table. Won the first set 7-2…so too easy probably. But I tried only taking one off after the break and got my ass handed to me two sets in a row. I’m stuck.

I got so frustrated, I changed almost everything. I started soft breaking and polished the balls. The only thing I didn’t do was pattern rack. I wasn’t making anything on the break no matter what I tried and there were clusters every break. So I said screw it, I’ll just soft break and not even try to make a ball. There might be 10 balls on the table, but at least I have a chance to run out. But I’m just not good enough, I guess. I’m going to keep practicing with the soft break and starting with 9 balls on the table until I’m winning fairly consistently that way, then I’ll try to tackle the real 10-ball ghost again. Next post I make will be a win on the real 10-ball ghost.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
You can mark me for 4-7 against the 9 ball pro ghost. But it was on a barbox. Lost the first 10. I counted wrong first set and played 8 games instead of 7 but threw up a 4 pack in the 2nd set either way. fun starts at 12 min. Sorry after the 2nd run had to pay the tab. Took a couple min. Stopped recording at 4-4. Ended up losing 4-7. And really sorry only got half the right cheek on a great ass shot at the end.

9 ball pro ghost 0-7 4-7 4-1-24

Last edited: