29" or 30" shaft... Are they really different?

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've gone back and forth and don't notice any difference in playability or balance or bridge or stroke length.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I lost my 29" 12.4 REVO Willie Predator limited. I bought a CF REVO 30" shaft 12.4. After 8 years with the same 29" REVO it felt less nimble for short or raised shots. In fact i have it if anyone wants to trade a 12.4, REVO soft tip 29"?
What is the joint on yours, I might have a trade for you.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely zero difference. I've played exclusively with the predator line since the late 90's. The 29" and 30" 314-1, 314-2, Z-1, Z-2, and now the Revo line. Each shaft I've had in both lengths. I do prefer the longer, only because I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall, and that extra inch keeps my back hand from falling off the cue at times. Other than my grip hand location, the play is 1000% identical.

BreakEm187

I lost my 29" 12.4 REVO Willie Predator limited. I bought a CF REVO 30" shaft 12.4. After 8 years with the same 29" REVO it felt less nimble for short or raised shots. In fact i have it if anyone wants to trade a 12.4, REVO soft tip 29"?
What size pin?

Nyquil

In my opinion depends on the maker. All my shafts are now 30 inches. I will never own anything under this length. It def makes a difference having an extra inch on 9's as far as feel the extra inch can make a shaft feel more whippy or front heavy depending on the design but nothing extreme other than the revo I had a 12.4 and man that thing was really whippy compared to 29 inch one.

In my opinion there should be way more production cues with 30/30 split. It really is so much better to have the extra length especially if you have long arms. My favorite shaft to date are the 30 inch S tuned z3's. It's not whippy at all, small diameter, still pro taper and the hit is so crispy.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes no credible difference. It's mostly a matter of adjusting as in weight, tip brand, tip diameter, and on and on. Your game will improve significantly if you practice more often, and/or pay for certified instruction. Unless, like me, you like to try all the different gadgets. In 1963 I asked Willie Mosconi after his straight pool exhibition, what weight cue he used. He replied a 19 oz. This was nearly 30 years before I started playing pool but I never forgot his answer. So guess what weight the first cue I bought weighed? At a billiard expo in the '90's I talked to Mr Mosconi again and asked what length cue he used? He said a 57". I didn't know how to play pool, but by this time I could buy whatever cue I wanted, so I had a custom cue made 57" long and 19 oz. Imagine how disappointed I was when I played.......the same bad. Then, I became friends with Wade Crane, aka Billy Johnson, and paid him for instruction. My game finally started to improve. The first day of instruction I wanted to impress him with my "cue arsenal" so I too three expensive cues, which he looked at, said the were pretty, and pulled a non-descript sneakypete and played like he was "Billy Johnson". He also showed me the cue he used to play the first perfect game of 9 ball. It was a Meucci with a miss matched shaft. We laughed about that for years. The moral of this adnausem long story, is have fun and enjoy the variety of products/gadgets available today.