2nd ball break

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the Corey Deuel pattern rack with a second ball break. Need to work on it.
1641797d67c1a5dd308907d70eeb306c.jpg

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't know. But I've played an entire season doing the second ball break, and their is no way I made the 8-ball 1 out of every 10 breaks.

I hear ya. I'm not in any way disputing your experience or observations.

I do not think, however, that your specific observations about your particular league *invalidate* the observations of others about what may be a wider sample of pool players (as you had claimed).

In my personal experience, breaking for the 2nd ball specifically on a Valley bar table results in a substantially higher chance of making the 8 on the break. That said, I too very much prefer the head ball break if the conditions support it.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you did get my point.

Nope. Not at all. Sounded like you were being pointlessly argumentative, without really making any argument. Your comment did not seem to have any logical connection to mine other than using some of the same words.

But hey if that's your thing, carry on. I don't think my understanding of your position is likely to matter to either of us.

KMRUNOUT

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post

I tried the Corey Deuel pattern rack with a second ball break. Need to work on it.

Excellent post, amazingly free of BS. No surprise your results aren’t the same as his. I wonder how long he worked to perfect it. Nice table, by the way. Very good, for it’s intended purpose.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I was practicing with a teammate recently. He did a head-ball break, didn't make anything, and I ran out.

His next time breaking, he switched to the second ball break. When I asked why, he said he doesn't want to leave an open table for me to run out if he doesn't make a ball.

So get this, he breaks and runs out 4 racks in a row with the second ball break.

Then he breaks dry with the second ball break, and I ran out anyway.

Crazy stuff can happen that defies all odds sometimes, regardless of the type of break.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post, amazingly free of BS. No surprise your results aren’t the same as his. I wonder how long he worked to perfect it. Nice table, by the way. Very good, for it’s intended purpose.

Thanks! I’ve been trying to make the 10-ball style head-on break in 8-ball work for a long time. It’s just not happening for me. I used to do the 2nd-ball break for years but need to get a feel for it again. This was my second attempt and it was funny how bad things clustered up. I think I can take a lot off my speed because I’m stroking a lot more pure than I used to.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Matt,

I see that happen a lot, and it seems to strongly correlate with a loose rack.

I think nothing more than a firm regular stroke is needed for effectiveness on the 2nd ball break. Maybe like 16 mph. Maybe less. I think of it like a shot rather than a break.

I'd really take a look at the rack if you're practicing. Make sure the interior of the rack is frozen up pretty good.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt,

I think nothing more than a firm regular stroke is needed for effectiveness on the 2nd ball break. Maybe like 16 mph. Maybe less. I think of it like a shot rather than a break.

I'd really take a look at the rack if you're practicing. Make sure the interior of the rack is frozen up pretty good.

KMRUNOUT

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt,

KMRUNOUT

You’ve got to be right. I’m notorious for slug racking (mostly myself). I will agonize over trying to get the balls frozen. That’s one technique nobody discusses. I know people that can give a freeze-up rack with a 99 cent plastic rack on dimpled bar clothe and I can’t get the balks to freeze up on day one Simonis with a magic rack.