3/8-14 wood shaft - Low Deflection

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy Tuesday evening all........
Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make a Low Deflection 3/8-14 wood shaft? I've seen all types of 3/8 but none with a 14 pitch. My Cuetec has 3/8-14 and I played wood shafts all my life so I'm anxious to try a low deflection wood version of an LD shaft. Thanks for any help.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine got Jacoby to make a kielwood shaft for his Cuetec. You might want to try them. I’m not sure if I have ever seen that joint choice on an aftermarket shaft from the major websites. Custom from someone might be your best option.

Jacoby wood shafts are very nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy Tuesday evening all........
Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make a Low Deflection 3/8-14 wood shaft? I've seen all types of 3/8 but none with a 14 pitch. My Cuetec has 3/8-14 and I played wood shafts all my life so I'm anxious to try a low deflection wood version of an LD shaft. Thanks for any help.
Cuetec makes a low deflection in wood. Plays pretty good too!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would second Jacoby also. They make another great low deflection shaft, the Ultra, and I'm sure could thread to 3/8-14.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're still looking, I think Rick Geschrey/Esoteric Cues uses this thread for his cues.

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello....I did NOT hear back from my email inquiries so I called them one day. At first spoke to a very nice saleswoman who was, well......a saleswoman who connected me to one of the machinists. Spoke to a gent in the shop whose name eludes me. He was very informative but the price and the nickel and diming kind of put me off. The base price was in my ballpark but then you start adding in things that I personally believe should be part of any custom item without incurring additional costs, like a longer taper....+++, how about leaving it an inch longer.....+++ and it would take 3 months to get. I ended up reaching out to a friend of mine who bought one from Bob Danielson out west and he was able to connect me up with what I needed. I had it a week later. It's one of Bob's torrified shafts. So far so good. I like it much better than the CF. I may take the diameter down a bit but that remains to be seen. Anyone interested in my 3/8-14 Cuetec Cynergy shaft and LD Avid shaft? I have an ad in the sell forum

Last edited:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I don't like feeling "sold to" so I understand.

Is your BD shaft pie spliced or solid? If spliced, does it feel stiff?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
The Bob Danielson is pie sliced and does feel still but not "too" stiff. There is definitely a greater feel to it than carbon fiber. The carbon fiber shafts to me feel and sound like I'm hitting with a steel pipe and then adding in a layered tip to me only makes those sensations worse. I think if you're just starting out and only have carbon fiber as a base you'll be fine but coming from 45+ years of a wood background and making, literally, thousands of wood shafts in another lifetime and hitting with every one of them has made me overly biased. The same is true of layered vs. single piece leather tips. I also ordered an LD one piece wood shaft from Anthony Milanese who I worked with at Black Boar, (Anthony genuinely knows his stuff by the way), so I'll be curious to see which I prefer to play with. I suspect Anthony's will be more like what I grew up with but with the added benefit of LD.

DeeDeeCues

Hello....I did NOT hear back from my email inquiries so I called them one day. At first spoke to a very nice saleswoman who was, well......a saleswoman who connected me to one of the machinists. Spoke to a gent in the shop whose name eludes me. He was very informative but the price and the nickel and diming kind of put me off. The base price was in my ballpark but then you start adding in things that I personally believe should be part of any custom item without incurring additional costs, like a longer taper....+++, how about leaving it an inch longer.....+++ and it would take 3 months to get. I ended up reaching out to a friend of mine who bought one from Bob Danielson out west and he was able to connect me up with what I needed. I had it a week later. It's one of Bob's torrified shafts. So far so good. I like it much better than the CF. I may take the diameter down a bit but that remains to be seen. Anyone interested in my 3/8-14 Cuetec Cynergy shaft and LD Avid shaft? I have an ad in the sell forum

You are off base. Every custom option has a cost associated to it and they were charging you accordingly.

Every one of the items you mention has a justifiable cost associated to it.

Don't blame Jacoby for your cheapness.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are off base. Every custom option has a cost associated to it and they were charging you accordingly.

I bet he paid more than Jacoby would have charged. Being nickel and dimed, rather than starting at a base where many options are included, is not a customer friendly way to sell.

It is why Honda and Toyota became the top seller in the US car market, over the US companies where you needed to buck up on all of your negotiation skills to feel like you didn't overpay. In both cases, you probably overpaid.

DeeDeeCues

I bet he paid more than Jacoby would have charged. Being nickel and dimed, rather than starting at a base where many options are included, is not a customer friendly way to sell.

It is why Honda and Toyota became the top seller in the US car market, over the US companies where you needed to buck up on all of your negotiation skills to feel like you didn't overpay. In both cases, you probably overpaid.

The thing is that you can't necessarily have a base cost for everything he wanted. Each of the things here asked for added an operation, maybe special tooling, possibly CNC programming.

It's stupid to expect a base price for something so custom.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Very direct, right to the point and very well said!
It's like building a plain jane, then they want points.
The REPLY
WAIT
You charge more for points?
Hahahahahahaha

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I charge the same for custom shafts with longer taper. Also for longer length. Also for custom joint diameter. Also for custom weight. Jacoby's are one piece construction for $350. Mine are 6-pie, made in shop from a board, without cnc and run $375.