3/8 x 10 tap question.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any advice on the best place to buy a good quality 3/8 x 10 tap. I have broken 2 recently. The way they look when they break off they look kind of cheap. I am sure they are probably made in china. Just looking for some advice
Thanks

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 684

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
How in the world are you breaking them ?
I suggest live tooling .
Prather or CH sell them .

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Atlas sells them .............. I have used the same one for 4 years on wood, phenolic, and aluminum.................

how the hell are you breaking them???

Kim

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
If no tapping fluid was used that might do it? The incredible hard to tap maple.....I digress.:rotflmao:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did you break them?

I am careful but repeated torque seems to take a toll on them. I am using them for something other then working on cues. On a cue you are tapping into the end grain of the wood. That taps easy. I am tapping across the grain of hard maple and using 3/8 x 10 screws for assembly.

I wish I could get a tap that was not so long. The thing is, when they break the metal looks so weak at the break point, really cheap looking, nothing like I would expect in a tap so big. They seem brittle. I have snapped off taps that were very small in the past but never a tap that large. I think I may have bought these from Prather. I can't read on them where they are made, probably Chinese.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I am careful but repeated torque seems to take a toll on them. I am using them for something other then working on cues. On a cue you are tapping into the end grain of the wood. That taps easy. I am tapping across the grain of hard maple and using 3/8 x 10 screws for assembly.

I wish I could get a tap that was not so long. The thing is, when they break the metal looks so weak at the break point, really cheap looking, nothing like I would expect in a tap so big. They seem brittle. I have snapped off taps that were very small in the past but never a tap that large. I think I may have bought these from Prather. I can't read on them where they are made, probably Chinese.

Switch to 3/8 16 for the other stuff . Those taps are cheap.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Victor tools sells a shorter tap
I have a few
under 12 bucks each

http://www.victornet.com/detail/TAST-3/8-10.html

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

um,,,,,, they are brittle,,,,,,,,,

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Victor tools sells a shorter tap
I have a few
under 12 bucks each

http://www.victornet.com/detail/TAST-3/8-10.html

I just ordered 3 because they have a $25.00 minimum. Just curious, how do they compare to the ones sold by Atlas or Prather? The picture on the website looks like a generic picture of a tap and not the actual tap. Have you used them with standard 3/8 x 10 screw stock?

A few years ago I needed a new 5/16 x 14 tap and I found them as a stock item on an machine supply web site. They worked perfect at like 1/4 the price they charged by billiard supplies.

Reminds me of going into a boating supply and paying $3.00 for a screw you can get at Home Depot for like $.50.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you use any cutting fluid?
If your tappping a long hole, do you tap the hole in one go? or do you go about halfway, the chuck up closer and do the rest of the hole?
Depending on your accuracy, that might be the way to go. Those bits are quite brittle and it does not take much over torque and sideways motion to break them.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Speaking from personal experience, taps only broke when I screwed up. Either I inadvertently applied lateral pressure while tapping, or else my minor was too small & required excessive torque to work the tap. Just offering my thoughts

prather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if you bought the tap from us, but our taps are made in the US, except for the 7/16"-14 & the 8-32. I've been using the same 3/8"-10 tap for probably 8 years, working on mostly wood, but occasionally brass & aluminum as well. Not to say that I haven't ever broke one.. But they tend to hold up quite well.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if you bought the tap from us, but our taps are made in the US, except for the 7/16"-14 & the 8-32. I've been using the same 3/8"-10 tap for probably 8 years, working on mostly wood, but occasionally brass & aluminum as well. Not to say that I haven't ever broke one.. But they tend to hold up quite well.

Hi, I am not using them as they are actually intended. I am tapping under power through solid maple. I just run them all the way through and drop out the tap. My comments were more because I have an old tap (see picture)
that seems more substantial. I must have had this tap 15 years and it is very dull now though.

I am abusing them but that is why I asked the question and I did get an answer from someone. I ordered three of those taps he showed that are shorter. I will have to back those out though because the shanks look too thick.

Attachments

• taps 3.jpg
    taps 3.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not used them myself, but have you tried the tin coated taps? they have a harder and more "slippery" surface.
That might be something to consider?