3 cushion run of 29

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i took the time to look it up in the rules (USBA)
bob was correct but the rules give more detail than bob did

8. Frozen Balls.
(a) If during an inning, the player's cue ball comes to rest in contact with the opponent's ball, or comes to rest in contact with the red ball, or both the opponent's ball and the red ball, the player has the option of playing away from the ball(s) with which the player's cue ball is in contact, or electing to have the player's cue ball and the ball(s) with which it is in contact spotted. The loose or unfrozen ball is not to be touched.
(b) If an inning ends with the incoming player's ball in contact with the opponent's ball or the red ball, the incoming player has the option of playing away from the ball in contact, or may elect to have the two balls that are in contact spotted. The loose or unfrozen ball is not to be touched.
(c) The red ball is spotted on the foot spot, the player's cue ball on the head spot, and the opponent's cue ball on the center spot.
(d) If the spot reserved for the ball to be spotted is hidden by another ball, the ball to be spotted is placed on the spot usually reserved for the hiding ball.

(e) The same rules apply when a ball or balls jump the table.
(f) The player may elect to bank his frozen cue ball into a rail first and then contact the other frozen ball. The other frozen ball may not be moved as a result of the player's stroke (a foul), but it is allowed to move slightly as a result of losing the support it may have had from being frozen to the cue ball.
(g) The player may elect to masse his frozen cue ball away from the other frozen ball and then back into the other frozen ball. The other frozen ball may not be moved as a result of the player's stroke (a foul), but it is allowed to move slightly as a result of losing the support it may have had from being frozen to the cue ball.
(h) As an example of the application of Rule 8(a), if all three balls are frozen to each other, then spot all three balls as per Rules 8(c) and (d). If the player's cue ball is frozen to both of the other balls, but the other balls are not frozen to each other, then spot all three balls as stated in Rules 8(c) and (d). If the player's cue ball is frozen to one object ball and that object ball is also frozen to the other object ball, yet the other object ball is not frozen to the player's cue ball, then spot the player's cue ball and the object ball to which the cue ball is frozen, but do not move the object ball which is not frozen to the player's cue ball. In any of the circumstances covered by this Rule 8(h), the player has the option of playing away from the ball(s) with which the player's cue ball is in contact, or electing to have the player's cue ball and the ball(s) with which it is in contact spotted.
9. When a cue ball is frozen to a cushion, a player may not shoot into (play against) that cushion, and it is a foul to do so. A player may, however, masse away from the frozen cushion and then contact the same cushion one or more times.

bes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the Mexican (perhaps other central American) players here have an unusual solution to frozen cue ball situations. They just drop a cube of chalk (from about 10 inches I guess) onto the frozen pair and play whatever results. Anyone else seen this? It may be an "informal" thing, but I've even seen it when they are playing for a few $$.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of the Mexican (perhaps other central American) players here have an unusual solution to frozen cue ball situations. They just drop a cube of chalk (from about 10 inches I guess) onto the frozen pair and play whatever results. Anyone else seen this? It may be an "informal" thing, but I've even seen it when they are playing for a few $$.
And I've seen people play with "no kisses allowed". A ball frozen to the cushion is considered an automatic double kiss -- yes, I know, it usually isn't -- so you have to play off the unfrozen ball.

And some people play that a stone dead ticky is worth two points.

I think it's better to learn the big boy rules and play by them.

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I've seen people play with "no kisses allowed". A ball frozen to the cushion is considered an automatic double kiss -- yes, I know, it usually isn't -- so you have to play off the unfrozen ball.

And some people play that a stone dead ticky is worth two points.

I think it's better to learn the big boy rules and play by them.

I’ve seen all three balls freeze mid game, twice! Both times it was in tournaments I was playing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums