64 players, paying 16 places, (25% of the field). $1,000 tournament purse/entries

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Lets assume a $20 entry ($4.40 going to green/admin fees)

1st: 30% = $300
2nd: 20% = $200
3/4: 9%ea = $90
5/8: 4%ea = $40
9/16: 2%ea = $20

It helps to know entry so the bottom finishers can get at least their money back

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your preference depends on who you are. Filler, Gorst and SVB want top heavy. Lesser pros want more evenly distributed. Dead money that just enjoys playing doesn't care.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets assume a $20 entry ($4.40 going to green/admin fees)

1st: 30% = $300
2nd: 20% = $200
3/4: 9%ea = $90
5/8: 4%ea = $40
9/16: 2%ea = $20

It helps to know entry so the bottom finishers can get at least their money back
If it’s a double elimination format, 9-12 is one match further than 13-16 on the one-loss side. I would only pay out as deep as 9-12.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First place gets half the money..last place gets their entry fee back and then break it up evenly for everyone in between.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
First place gets half the money..last place gets their entry fee back and then break it up evenly for everyone in between.
When I was doing the math I started with 1st getting half but pushing payouts down to 16 players made everything far to small.

If first is 500 and the last 8 get 20 that = 660, and 7 players splitting 340. That's too little to reward 2nd appropriately and 6 others.

The only thing working in favour of the short prizes is the low entry fee. No one should be expecting great returns on a $20 tourney imo.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was doing the math I started with 1st getting half but pushing payouts down to 16 players made everything far to small.

If first is 500 and the last 8 get 20 that = 660, and 7 players splitting 340. That's too little to reward 2nd appropriately and 6 others.

The only thing working in favour of the short prizes is the low entry fee. No one should be expecting great returns on a $20 tourney imo.
And you shouldn’t expect to get paid for playing bad. Kind of like the all kids get a trophy. If you run a 16 man tournament like I used to. First place got $160. That makes it worth while to win lol 2nd got $80. 3rd got $60 and 4th got their money back. People were happy with it but it’s your tournament. Do what you want