7pm EST, Mike Sigel will answer questions about the UBL: First place wins $100,000

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll just keep it at a 3. Thanks for the tip though.

so rather than fix the problem for yourself, you will have the the size changed for the rest of us-Sounds like someone inconsiderate with a big ego l know named Mike.Thanks for caring less though. You are the perfect guy to start a new league!

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone tune in for the Q&A that Mike did a few days ago that can share any thoughts / feedback on what was said?

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My opinion:
Something I'm seeing a lot in this thread is about "pool players," where they're expecting to compete in a way to determine who is best, or to improve their game, or to play all night, or etc.
I think people here are looking at this league with the expectation that it's meant to be like other leagues, targeted specifically at good pool players, but with big prizes.
That's not what it's meant to be.
It's meant to be a way to attract all types of people to the pool table and draw more interest into pool. People that play pool at the bar, friends and family, casual players, good pool players, and more. It's meant to bring as many people to the light of pool as possible.
A lot of people here may not appreciate that. They may prefer tournaments with strict rules, shirt fouls, double elimination, etc that spans across a 3 day period. Those things still exist, but that's not what this league is meant to be. If you choose to look at it in that way, it won't look appealing.
I personally have some friends that enjoy the game of pool, because pool is fun, but they're not at a caliber similar to me or many local tournament players. And for that reason, they don't compete and don't play as often as they would like because they're embarrassed they're not good enough. With this style of league, they could comfortably come out and compete along with the other talented players or players of similar caliber to themselves while still having a chance to win.
Many players say "Why would I pay $100+ to compete in a pro tournament knowing I'm going to lose?" That's a fair argument. Some will do it for the experience and challenge, but a lot of people aren't ready to throw $100 away time and time again. This style of league would give lesser talented players a chance to win instead of "throwing money away."
People here are often complaining about why pool is in the gutter, why the prizes are so small, and why it isn't on ESPN anymore. It's because not enough people care about it. Pool needs the general population to care about it if we want it to expand and earn big-money sponsorships.
So if you're looking for a new league specifically targeted at good pool players with the intention of finding out who has the best raw talent... then this league might not be for you; and that's okay. There are other leagues and tournaments that attempt to do that.
This is for everyone; beyond pool players with their own equipment. And it's trying to give everyone a chance so it's not immediately prohibitive out of the gate.
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
As long as the 'cash box' is well audited.
Might just be a big boost for the game.
:thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see his Business Plan, if he even has one. Any savvy investor would want to see that as well before making any kind of investment in this.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

My opinion:

Something I'm seeing a lot in this thread is about "pool players," where they're expecting to compete in a way to determine who is best, or to improve their game, or to play all night, or etc.

I think people here are looking at this league with the expectation that it's meant to be like other leagues, targeted specifically at good pool players, but with big prizes.

That's not what it's meant to be.

It's meant to be a way to attract all types of people to the pool table and draw more interest into pool. People that play pool at the bar, friends and family, casual players, good pool players, and more. It's meant to bring as many people to the light of pool as possible.

A lot of people here may not appreciate that. They may prefer tournaments with strict rules, shirt fouls, double elimination, etc that spans across a 3 day period. Those things still exist, but that's not what this league is meant to be. If you choose to look at it in that way, it won't look appealing.

I personally have some friends that enjoy the game of pool, because pool is fun, but they're not at a caliber similar to me or many local tournament players. And for that reason, they don't compete and don't play as often as they would like because they're embarrassed they're not good enough. With this style of league, they could comfortably come out and compete along with the other talented players or players of similar caliber to themselves while still having a chance to win.

Many players say "Why would I pay $100+ to compete in a pro tournament knowing I'm going to lose?" That's a fair argument. Some will do it for the experience and challenge, but a lot of people aren't ready to throw $100 away time and time again. This style of league would give lesser talented players a chance to win instead of "throwing money away."

People here are often complaining about why pool is in the gutter, why the prizes are so small, and why it isn't on ESPN anymore. It's because not enough people care about it. Pool needs the general population to care about it if we want it to expand and earn big-money sponsorships.

So if you're looking for a new league specifically targeted at good pool players with the intention of finding out who has the best raw talent... then this league might not be for you; and that's okay. There are other leagues and tournaments that attempt to do that.

This is for everyone; beyond pool players with their own equipment. And it's trying to give everyone a chance so it's not immediately prohibitive out of the gate.

Are you somehow connected to this new league? The reason I ask is, you certainly sound as if you have a dog in this fight.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the "League Rules" on the UBL website...

"At the end of the year, teams who qualify in at least one of the three sessions will playoff to go to the finals for the big prize money. If a team qualifies in two of the sessions they have two chances to shoot a good score. If a team qualifies in all three sessions they have three chances to shoot a good score."

Three chances to shoot a good score??? What exactly does that mean?

The how/what/where/when regarding the payouts is extremely fuzzy. Especially the individual session payouts.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you somehow connected to this new league? The reason I ask is, you certainly sound as if you have a dog in this fight.

I have no affiliation with the league or Mike whatsoever.

Someone told me about the league maybe a month ago or so. I read about it online and wanted some more answers. So I reached out to Mike and interviewed him about a week or so ago. I was able to get some more answers about the league and so I'm just spreading the word. If people don't want to participate, no skin off my nose.

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the "League Rules" on the UBL website...

"At the end of the year, teams who qualify in at least one of the three sessions will playoff to go to the finals for the big prize money. If a team qualifies in two of the sessions they have two chances to shoot a good score. If a team qualifies in all three sessions they have three chances to shoot a good score."

Three chances to shoot a good score??? What exactly does that mean?

The how/what/where/when regarding the payouts is extremely fuzzy. Especially the individual session payouts.

When they start the full year season (May 2019 - May 2020), it will be made up of 3 "sessions" (16 weeks).

Your team can participate in one, two, or all of them.

If your team plays in the first 16 week session and wins every single game in every single match (extremely unlikely), that would be a perfect score and you wouldn't need to do the other two sessions. Think about it like football standings.

At the end of the season, they pick teams with the highest scores to continue on to the playoffs/finals.

So if there's 5 matches per week and 16 weeks, that'd be I guess 80 total matches per session. If you play them all and your team standing is like... 36-44... that's not a great score. In that case, you could play in the second session and try to improve it. Let's say you get 55-25 on the second session. You could hope that's good enough, or go again in the third session and try to improve it.

Then they take the best overall scores from all the teams+sessions and they go to playoffs.

Edit: My math is only doing matches by sessions. I think it would likely include the games as well... so if the race is to 4.. by 5 matches.. by 16 weeks. Then I suppose you could win a maximum of 320 games. But the idea is the same.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I have no affiliation with the league or Mike whatsoever.

Someone told me about the league maybe a month ago or so. I read about it online and wanted some more answers. So I reached out to Mike and interviewed him about a week or so ago. I was able to get some more answers about the league and so I'm just spreading the word. If people don't want to participate, no skin off my nose.

Okay... With this post, I am SURE I want absolutely nothing to do with it...

You are just some guy who decided to interview Mike Sigel about his league, and you liked the ideas behind it so much that you decided to start a thread advertising his Q&A, and then respond multiple times, defending criticisms against his methodology?

But you have nothing to do with this league, and are unassociated with Mike Sigel?

You are so full of shit, I want absolutely nothing to do with anything you are associated with, or recommend.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So are we underway now?
As I mentioned in another post, the UBL is in operation in a room in/near Paso Robles and a player I talked to likes the format even though he is a top-ranked player in that room. I also talked to the owner of another room that was listed on the UBL site and he said that it never caught on at his place and they no longer have it there.

I have no idea what the global view is.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel.....the guy who said "I hate pool" or "I hate this f*#king game" more times than I can count during his matches with Earl in the Living Legends matches.