860HR vs 860

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am retired and live in an adult community. We have a game room with a Gold Crown 4 and two Brunswick 9' drop pocket tables. I have taken over over-seeing the maintenance of the room. Last year I had them recover all tables and I specified 760 Simonis for the Gold Crown because I play straight three days a week.

Unfortunately, we have a few "bangers' that have put dozens of divets in the 760 cloth.

I am now entertaining quotes to recover the Gold Crown and am considering the Simonis 860HR so it will stand up to the 'bangers'.

I've read that the HR is faster than the standard 860 but slower than 760. Seems to be the best of both worlds. I appears it will certainly stand up to the 'bangers'.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Roscoe

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I am retired and live in an adult community. We have a game room with a Gold Crown 4 and two Brunswick 9' drop pocket tables. I have taken over over-seeing the maintenance of the room. Last year I had them recover all tables and I specified 760 Simonis for the Gold Crown because I play straight three days a week.

Unfortunately, we have a few "bangers' that have put dozens of divets in the 760 cloth.

I am now entertaining quotes to recover the Gold Crown and am considering the Simonis 860HR so it will stand up to the 'bangers'.

I've read that the HR is faster than the standard 860 but slower than 760. Seems to be the best of both worlds. I appears it will certainly stand up to the 'bangers'.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Roscoe

I play straight pool, too, and I think the 860HR speed is fine. Seems very durable, too.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I don't have direct experience with the HR cloth. But I have Championship Tour Edition 30/30 on my home table and on the tables at the local pool room. With the nylon in the cloth, you might see white burn marks, but it doesn't get nicked up constantly like the standard Simonis does.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, but it will take them longer to ruin the cloth :p:p
Roscoe

When you say divets are you talking about actual holes in the cloth? 860hr wont help with that. It stains less, and 'burn' marks are less frequent.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have HR on my 9' and love it. It plays faster than 860 and holds up to wear a lot longer.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
When you say divets are you talking about actual holes in the cloth? 860hr wont help with that. It stains less, and 'burn' marks are less frequent.
When I had standard Simonis on my home table, virtually every jump shot resulted in a nick in the cloth. Some nicks turn into small holes. I prefer the Championship Tour Edition 30/30 just for that reason. If the 860HR is also as durable, it would be nice to know.

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket,
These are actual small tears in the cloth; like they're doing masse's all over the table
Roscoe

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Pocket,
These are actual small tears in the cloth; like they're doing masse's all over the table
Roscoe

Nothing like watching the CB curve.... especially when you don't have a f...n' clue where it's goin'.. :shakehead:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket,
Roscoe

Bet its from miscues and scoop jumps with house cues that don't have much of/any tip left. Yikes!

Good luck, either way 860HR is a good cloth.

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bet its from miscues and scoop jumps with house cues that don't have much of/any tip left. Yikes!

Good luck, either way 860HR is a good cloth.

Thanks, you are right, miscues and scoopers plus just hitting down on the cue ball. We are talking seniors who do not get down to line up a shot; pretty much hitting while standing up. Cues are new though. We just replaced all the old ones.

However, they are lazy and do not get new chalk from the front desk. They use the available chalk which is just about worn down to the paper as you can see on the ferrules.

Guys I play with bring our own chalk and cue ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Opinions?

Thanks,
Roscoe
Post #8: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=140328

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Simonis

Standard simonis 860 is 90% wool / 10% nylon.

Simonis 860HR is 70% wool / 30% nylon
Championship tour edition is 70% Wool / 30% Nylon
Both are tough stuff, although tour edition has no speed control...tour edition just keeps getting faster and faster the more it mats down/wears....

Best bang for the buck~> 860HR.

Rob.M

Attachments

• 37DECB1C-F733-4384-B181-0AE89322F29F.jpeg
    37DECB1C-F733-4384-B181-0AE89322F29F.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,091

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you need to get procedures down at the place.

get good soft tips on all the cues and if bad get taken off the rack. and replace chalk at half worn. so none is available that is worn out.

have a lessons program for all players so they can learn the basics.

860 hr and 30 30 will both wear well for good expensive cloths.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I had standard Simonis on my home table, virtually every jump shot resulted in a nick in the cloth. Some nicks turn into small holes. I prefer the Championship Tour Edition 30/30 just for that reason. If the 860HR is also as durable, it would be nice to know.
A proper jump shot should put no more of a burn mark on your table than a break shot does. If a jump shot is resulting in a nick in your cloth, I'm guessing either your cue tip is not rounded properly or your jump shot technique is faulty.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
My home table has had 860 HR installed on it for 7 or 8 years now and I can verify it's a great playing durable cloth. I play maybe 15 hours a week, which isn't that much per week but really adds up over the years and this cloth has performed well over it's lifetime so far. Going to recover it when I move in a year or thereabouts.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put the HR on your main table, and put the table in another room(locked). Put indoor/outdoor carpet on the remaining tables for the bangers, they'll never know the difference

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I dont have nothing to offer, my apologies. But I am glad to hear that the 860HR is a little faster and more durable. I was told that I wouldnt need to recover my table for 10 years when I put 860 on it 5 years ago. It was pretty beat up looking after 4 years, tracks to the rack, solid rail groove marks along all the cushions, 2 very worn spots at foot rail cushion from 8 ball breaks, etc...I think it also hurts that I put standard green cloth on it rather than tournament blue which I will try next time if I can get someone good up here to recover my GCI (Thats a hint for Rob M.)

Last edited:

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm going with the HR.....that should stand up to the 'bangers'

As a straight pool player, I'm glad to hear it is a happy medium between 760 and 860 in speed.

BTW, Karl Sloezen, a good friend, is handling the job

Roscoe