"_____________" on Aiming (Fill in the blank with any pro player.)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every now and then a thread appears about some pro player's take on aiming. Though some of the information might be good and useful, it's really just another person's opinion on aiming.

Granted, pros are very good at all aspects of the game, so their opinions should hold more weight than the average player, but not so much on how they aim.

It's important to keep in mind that pros are good at aiming because they've developed consistent and reliable skills through countless hours of practice and repetition, not because the aiming method they prefer is any better or superior than any other method.

Like many instructors, a pro player will naturally favor whatever aiming method they've developed for themselves. So their opinion on aiming systems will always be rooted in that bias. When one pro says ghostball is best, then another says fractional style aiming is best, then another says CTE or a "touch of inside" is best.... well, we who are not pros need to take that advice for what it's worth, which is really not much.

I believe the best advice is to find the aiming method that suits you, then practice practice practice unil it becomes consistent and automatic. That's what pros have done. There is no pro aiming secret, no magic to becoming a great shot maker.

If you want to pocket balls with the consistency of a pro player, you have to do what they've done. Choose the aiming methods or systems that you find most workable, then work your ass off developing your aiming skills.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Every now and then a thread appears about some pro player's take on aiming. Though some of the information might be good and useful, it's really just another person's opinion on aiming.

Granted, pros are very good at all aspects of the game, so their opinions should hold a little more weight than the average player, but not so much on how they aim.

It's important to keep in mind that pros are good at aiming because they've developed consistent and reliable skills through countless hours of practice and repetition, not because the aiming method they prefer is any better or superior than any other method.

Like many instructors, a pro player will naturally favor whatever aiming method they've developed for themselves. So their opinion on aiming systems will always be rooted in that bias. When one pro says ghostball is best, then another says fractional style aiming is best, then another says CTE or a "touch of inside" is best.... well, we who are not pros need to take that advice for what it's worth, which is really not much.

I believe the best advice is to find the aiming method that suits you, then practice practice practice unil it becomes consistent and automatic. That's what pros have done. There is no pro aiming secret, no magic to becoming a great shot maker.

If you want to pocket balls with the consistency of a pro player, you have to do what they've done. Choose the aiming methods or systems that you find most workable, then work your ass off developing your aiming skills.
Could you please just give me a magic gimmick? I'd rather have that than put in 10,000 hours on the practice table. :cry:
;)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could you please just give me a magic gimmick? I'd rather have that than put in 10,000 hours on the practice table. :cry:
;)
i dont share this with just anyone
but from all your posts i can tell you are sincere in trying to play better and help those less skilled
SO......................................
here is the magic system to never miss a shot again....
just
PUT IT IN THE HOLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;);)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
But shortcuts to good aim DO exist, for example, your own work . . .
True, as far as developing good visual/hand-eye aiming skills, shortcuts do exist. But table time is still required.

Poolology may require less table time than other methods before an improvement in consistency is noticed, but many players simply don't invest much time. They want immediate improvement in ball pocketing skills, as if there's a magical secret out there that can provide such a thing.

We listen to pro players give opinions on aiming, their personal method of how they do it and what they think is the "best" way to aim, and we listen and watch for pointers that might be the key to all the magic. But here's the spoiler alert most of the pros fail to mention: The magic is called "practice".

tomatoshooter

i dont share this with just anyone
but from all your posts i can tell you are sincere in trying to play better and help those less skilled
SO......................................
here is the magic system to never miss a shot again....
just
PUT IT IN THE HOLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;);)
I've been working with that system for a few months and I'm quite pleased with the results. Now I just need to fix my crappy patterns.

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been working with that system for a few months and I'm quite pleased with the results. Now I just need to fix my crappy patterns.
as i said above
you are a nice guy and i want to help you with your game
here is another secret i rarley share to help you see the perfect patterns......😂😂😂

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
True, as far as developing good visual/hand-eye aiming skills, shortcuts do exist. But table time is still required.

Poolology may require less table time than other methods before an improvement in consistency is noticed, but many players simply don't invest much time. They want immediate improvement in ball pocketing skills, as if there's a magical secret out there that can provide such a thing.

We listen to pro players give opinions on aiming, their personal method of how they do it and what they think is the "best" way to aim, and we listen and watch for pointers that might be the key to all the magic. But here's the spoiler alert most of the pros fail to mention: The magic is called "practice".
But there IS magic, or at least the fun pursuit of magic. Someone will try ghost ball instead of contact patch or vice versa upon a time, and instantly see their pocketing percentage soar. It's magic!

boogieman

as i said above
you are a nice guy and i want to help you with your game
here is another secret i rarley share to help you see the perfect patterns......😂😂😂
I play similar videos, usually search "trippy videos" or similar on youtube. I leave them in on the tv in the background while playing. If nothing else it's good to learn how to deal with distractions, but more helpfully you can look at it for like 3 seconds and have a clear head. Kind of a pallet cleanser.

boogieman

But there IS magic, or at least the fun pursuit of magic. Someone will try ghost ball instead of contact patch or vice versa upon a time, and instantly see their pocketing percentage soar. It's magic!
It also happens for a bit with a new tip, a glove, a new shaft, etc, etc. Most of these things wear off in time. I think the real key isn't that it's a placebo effect, it's that you are actually paying attention and focusing to try to evaluate the new thing. This game is so highly dependent of focus that it's nuts at times.