A little tip/advice for playing position

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Here's a little tip or advice for the player that is just learning and practicing thinking three balls ahead for position. This is not for all you monster players on here, although I do see pros mess this up from time to time.

Before your next shot get in the habit of walking around the table to see exactly where you want the QB to be to make the next shot and have the right angle to get on the shot after it. When you determine where you want the QB for the next shot imagine shooting it. Can you reach it comfortably w/o the bridge? If your not sure, use your cue where you want the QB to stop, and imagine your taking the shot. I see far too many good players forget about being able to reach the next shot comfortable. Always try and position your QB at least an inch or more off the rail. When you have to hit down on the QB it can do funny things. Johnnyt

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow. It might help playing the monsters crushing me lately.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Fenwick said:
Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow. It might help playing the monsters crushing me lately.

LO. I said that so not to get too many replies from the no it alls. Johnnyt

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
good advice

Johnnyt said:
Here's a little tip or advice for the player that is just learning and practicing thinking three balls ahead for position. This is not for all you monster players on here, although I do see pros mess this up from time to time.

Before your next shot get in the habit of walking around the table to see exactly where you want the QB to be to make the next shot and have the right angle to get on the shot after it. When you determine where you want the QB for the next shot imagine shooting it. Can you reach it comfortably w/o the bridge? If your not sure, use your cue where you want the QB to stop, and imagine your taking the shot. I see far too many good players forget about being able to reach the next shot comfortable. Always try and position your QB at least an inch or more off the rail. When you have to hit down on the QB it can do funny things. Johnnyt

I do this often if I am trying to get out from a tough spot.Doing this more would certainly increase my run-out %.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Johnny-

I like your post - it's so simple, hardly anyone does it - and it makes a big difference. To add to what you're saying, for the last six months I've been devoting my practice strokes to fine-tuning speed control...not fine-tuning my shot making / aiming. Not sure if that helps anyone or if it makes sense, but it makes a tremendous difference in running out.

I'll try to rep ya, not sure if i can yet.

Dave

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post and good advice. To walk around the table can be a huge advantage. The view from one spot can be completely different from another.

One tip I'd like to add...when you are considering where you want the cue ball to end up, place your hand on the table at that spot. It gives you a 'feel' for where you are trying to get to. Something to do with relativity. Now you are more in tune with the table than if you've only looked at the spot. It seems to help me anyway.

L8R...Ken

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
tick tock

Excellent points johhnyt. Just getting the object ball between a pocket and whitey won't cut it. But I gotta say, some people have little patience waiting & watching, and some people play too slow.

It's a tough line to manage - that between taking enuf time to be confident when you execute and taking too much time so that people want to execute you.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread, but wanted to point out that we need to be conscious of the clock. Take as much time as you need in practice and learn your angles of approach on position, and you won't feel the need to walk around the table excessively during games/matches.

noRulez

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post. I also usually use the diamonds to gauge position. For instance, I might walk up to my next shot and realize I want to get the cueball to land an inch or so before the first diamond so I can have shape on my next ball that I need to get to the ball after that.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The point I was trying for in my post was make sure where you're going to position the QB for the next shot that you can shoot comfortably from there...w/o the bridge or climbing up ohe table where you look like a monkey ******* a football. Johnnyt

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:

Good advice

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:

Good advice Johnny. One other simple thing to do is use any 9 balls when you practice. Always using the 1-9 allows you to get sloppy and just get the ball somewhere near the next shot. Having any 9 balls on the table forces you to look at the table to find what's next.