about efren

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In an interview he said he had to quit playing pocket billiards and focused on 3 cushion because he had trouble finding people to gamble with him in the PI.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's always been great shotmakers. I remember when ER came over and what he did what establish kicking as an essential part of winning. His background in billiards and full-rack rotation gave him superb cueball control but it was kicking mastery that left us all freaking stunned. Still does.
I think kicking skill is underrated and underappreciated. I once played a low-level pro who was the best kicker I've ever seen or played. Nothing he did was really that special...with the exception of his kicking. For some reason, he just had an uncanny feel for kicks. Not only didn't I ever get ball-in-hand, but he kicked so well and with so much control, he played safe back. There were a few times he kicked at balls in the middle of the table trying to make them. He came close on every single one. He kicked so well that I had to change my game to become more aggressive instead of playing safe.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think kicking skill is underrated and underappreciated. I once played a low-level pro who was the best kicker I've ever seen or played. Nothing he did was really that special...with the exception of his kicking. For some reason, he just had an uncanny feel for kicks. Not only didn't I ever get ball-in-hand, but he kicked so well and with so much control, he played safe back. There were a few times he kicked at balls in the middle of the table trying to make them. He came close on every single one. He kicked so well that I had to change my game to become more aggressive instead of playing safe.
Learn a few simple systems and practice them. Be surprised how 'lucky' you start getting.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's about how I see it.

Yes, Efren had all around skills and the all-around knowledge., but he saw things at the table that nobody ever saw before, and it was his creativity that set him apart from all the others. The only player I've ever seen that was even nearly as creative as Efren was Alex Pagulayan. Efren was also the "Irving Crane" of the nine-ball era, the undisputed king of defensive play.

I think that calling hi the best ever shot finder hits the nail on the head.

PS Efren, though highly skilled, was not world class at 3-cushion. Actually, I think Boston Shorty was better than Efren at 3-cushion.
I am not disagreeing, just adding something that I think separates Efren. For me, I cannot remember a time where it looked like the moment was too big for him. Not only could he find and execute shots that others couldn't or wouldn't, but he would do this in the finals and semi-finals. I have never seen him lose his temper--not once. If he ever had an emotional outburst (other than a few smiles and fist pumps after a win) I did not see it.

I have always thought he has a way of approaching the mental and emotional aspects of competition that is far superior to other players. To me, it seems like even in the finals of an event, Efren is at play whereas his competition is at "the office". So many times, when he won, he never put his opponent down, and is well known to say "I got lucky."

I wish I had noticed this sooner about his game, and made a more conscious effort to imitate him in this respect.

kollegedave

Reactions: bbb

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
That's about how I see it.

Yes, Efren had all around skills and the all-around knowledge., but he saw things at the table that nobody ever saw before, and it was his creativity that set him apart from all the others. The only player I've ever seen that was even nearly as creative as Efren was Alex Pagulayan. Efren was also the "Irving Crane" of the nine-ball era, the undisputed king of defensive play.

I think that calling hi the best ever shot finder hits the nail on the head.

PS Efren, though highly skilled, was not world class at 3-cushion. Actually, I think Boston Shorty was better than Efren at 3-cushion.
I think this is what made him uniquely suited for his one pocket dominance in the latter part of his career. Efren's strengths and 1P's nuances were made for each other.

Reactions: sjm

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learn a few simple systems and practice them. Be surprised how 'lucky' you start getting.
Unfortunately, I'm so old and been playing for so long, I think it's too late to learn any kicking systems. I've been kicking by feel and instinct for 40 years now. Even if I did improve my kicking, Shane doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder for me.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
In an interview he said he had to quit playing pocket billiards and focused on 3 cushion because he had trouble finding people to gamble with him in the PI.
And then they banned him from competing in the San Miguel Beer Karambola King tournaments . He was the straight-rail champion in back to back years and was way above the field .

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was fortunate to watch Efren extensively during the 90's
and the early 2000's.. Never did I watch a set without hearing a knowledgeable1 Hole player exclaim "What did he just do?" or "What the hell just happened?'

I vividly remember longing for a DVR in my head.

Well diagnosed and said Fatboy!:cool:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I can tell you the story if your interested. They were clueless. They did know the club biz. Not the pool room biz.
There are plenty of underground places for club of the month .
That's what HB became before it died.
Ruined the best place in LA.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are plenty of underground places for club of the month .
That's what HB became before it died.
Ruined the best place in LA.
Ruined it 100%

Where did Jeff go?

He was trying to sell for 4.5 including the building for a while-before the red table mess, which was a act of desperation after the crash in 08.