Addicted Triangle Duds

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Elmer's Multi Purpose cut with water. Now that sounds interesting.

It is said that the sugar in the milk is what makes the leather stick.

So you are helping it out with glue. I will give it a try. Thanks for the Tip. No pun intended of course.

Casein used to be extracted from milk to make glue for airplanes of all things...... It is actually the part of milk that works to make the milk dud work.... It is a protein, not a fat or sugar ... That's why skim milk is a better choice than whole milk, half and half, or cream...

Elmer's is actually weaker bonding, not as water resistant and less durable....

Chris

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Elmer's is actually weaker bonding, not as water resistant and less durable....
Chris

I've tried the Elmer's glue + water solution on layered tips (tiger emerald & hirano), triangle, elkmaster & Le Pro. been using the solution for almost 2 years. i dont want to deal too much about the science behind it as i dont even know what the ingredients of Elmer's are or how it's made.
if you say that it has a weaker bond and is less durable, then i guess i'm satisfied with the weak bond it provides as well as its low durability. it works for me and none of the tips i soaked and pressed have failed me.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I've tried the Elmer's glue + water solution on layered tips (tiger emerald & hirano), triangle, elkmaster & Le Pro. been using the solution for almost 2 years. i dont want to deal too much about the science behind it as i dont even know what the ingredients of Elmer's are or how it's made.
if you say that it has a weaker bond and is less durable, then i guess i'm satisfied with the weak bond it provides as well as its low durability. it works for me and none of the tips i soaked and pressed have failed me.

Agreed with you, if it works don't let Mr. Scientist change your mind set. Apparently my theories on my my recipe are wrong as well because I don't use milk straight from a cow, yet my tips play great for me and the people that use them.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I'm SOS STUCK ON STUPID so your mixing Elmer's glue with water then soaking the tip ?

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Ok so I'm SOS STUCK ON STUPID so your mixing Elmer's glue with water then soaking the tip ?

Yes - Elmer's glue mixed with a little water. i pre-press the tip then soak it quickly right after releasing from the press, so it absorbs the mixture more efficiently.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Agreed with you, if it works don't let Mr. Scientist change your mind set. Apparently my theories on my my recipe are wrong as well because I don't use milk straight from a cow, yet my tips play great for me and the people that use them.

Actually what I told you was that fresh milk was a better choice because processing the milk caused damage to the proteins. Of course most of us cannot get raw milk.. I also explained that heating the milk could also damage the proteins..... Just food for thought... My intent was not to change anyone's mindset... Only to to give you information that you may have been unaware of...

Same thing goes with the elmers info.... You can actually just repress some tips and improve them... Arps may want to try his process using milk or he can keep using elmers... I'd be interested to know if it was the elmers or the repressing that are central to his results... But that's just me.. I do like to get into the science behind things... Everyone else is welcome to do as they see fit.......

Chris

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How to test tips, prior to soaking and pressing

I have heard that in a box of 50 tips some are not good.
Is there a way to test tips before you start working on them?

Is there a way to fix bad tips?

I have Elkmaster, LePro and Triangle tips
Picone presses 13/14 mm
Compression Press
Dial Indicator

Looking for a Force gauge to complete my setup.
But, I can start pressing tips now.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I have heard that in a box of 50 tips some are not good.
Is there a way to test tips before you start working on them?

Is there a way to fix bad tips?

I have Elkmaster, LePro and Triangle tips
Picone presses 13/14 mm
Compression Press
Dial Indicator

Looking for a Force gauge to complete my setup.
But, I can start pressing tips now.

The only test I have heard of is the sink or float test in a glass of water. If the tip floats its considered by most to be bad, If it sinks its said be a good tip.

My guess is that the reason it would be floating is because of air pockets making the tip lass dense. I'm sure by soaking and pressing this eliminates the air pockets anyway.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only test I have heard of is the sink or float test in a glass of water. If the tip floats its considered by most to be bad, If it sinks its said be a good tip.

My guess is that the reason it would be floating is because of air pockets making the tip lass dense. I'm sure by soaking and pressing this eliminates the air pockets anyway.

Ugh great now I'm going to dump all my tips in the toilet and go bobbing for the tips that drown.

I never thought of this thanks for the idea.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Ugh great now I'm going to dump all my tips in the toilet and go bobbing for the tips that drown.

I never thought of this thanks for the idea.

Just something I've heard from much reading on the forums. The only other test I know of is dropping the tips about an inch from a wood table top in roughly the same area every time and listen for more of a ping than a dull sound. Ironically the ones with the ping are the ones that sink and the ones that sound dull float.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Has anyone tried making a WB water buffalo milk dud yet..?

Water buffalo tips are already pretty hard tips, If I've been informed correctly even harder than a lepro or even a triangle? I may give it a try sometime just to see.

NEXT EXPERIMENT I will be purchasing pure Casein protein... Soaking my tips in a special thought up solution, Should be interesting. I encourage anyone to try the same no secretes here:thumbup:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually what I told you was that fresh milk was a better choice because processing the milk caused damage to the proteins. Of course most of us cannot get raw milk.. I also explained that heating the milk could also damage the proteins..... Just food for thought... My intent was not to change anyone's mindset... Only to to give you information that you may have been unaware of...

Same thing goes with the elmers info.... You can actually just repress some tips and improve them... Arps may want to try his process using milk or he can keep using elmers... I'd be interested to know if it was the elmers or the repressing that are central to his results... But that's just me.. I do like to get into the science behind things... Everyone else is welcome to do as they see fit.......

Chris

I tried re pressing tips out of the box they still have a lot of play left and right movement with LEPRO'S.

Or do you mean press the then soak and press again ?

Rumplestiltzkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the WB water buffalo's are pretty hard.. I saw on the internet somewhere they avg. about 78.1 on the mueller durometer, but IMHO they are actually somewhere between 80-83.. They seem to hit very close, but slightly harder than most Triangle's (81ish), hold their shape longer, and spin whitey' like a layered tip.. The big downfall with these is they glaze kinda quick and you need to chalk EVERY shot or you will miscue on anything but dead center hits. I thought it might be interesting to "milk" dud one to make a solid hitting non layered break tip since these break damn good as they are..I just don't have the $$ for a press to try it out right now.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Yes the WB water buffalo's are pretty hard.. I saw on the internet somewhere they avg. about 78.1 on the mueller durometer, but IMHO they are actually somewhere between 80-83.. They seem to hit very close, but slightly harder than most Triangle's (81ish), hold their shape longer, and spin whitey' like a layered tip.. The big downfall with these is they glaze kinda quick and you need to chalk EVERY shot or you will miscue on anything but dead center hits. I thought it might be interesting to "milk" dud one to make a solid hitting non layered break tip since these break damn good as they are..I just don't have the $$ for a press to try it out right now.

Interesting let us all know the results if you end up trying one. On the other hand my pressed triangles grip whitty great barley ever glaze and hold chalk extremely well. They break lights out as well so i'll be sticking with my tips for awhile before I switch to anything else on my player.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hmmm. I can get raw milk. One of the local league players is a dairy farmer.

Probably free and even more free if I drive out there and squeeze my own.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Hmmm. I can get raw milk. One of the local league players is a dairy farmer.

Probably free and even more free if I drive out there and squeeze my own.

I'd be careful unless you have been around the farm some... Not sure what your tip would turn out like if you got in the pasture with the bull and not the heifers :eek:

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Renfro, Casein Protein

Where did yo get Casein Protein.
What brand.

Tried to order your tips, couldn't find them?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to use sumo tips I can't imagine how one of those things will turn out if they were milk dudded.

If I'm not mistaken ain't WB a little on the brittle side ?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Hi Barney... The tips are in the consumer testing phase... I have a cpl of repair guys installing them and tracking the feedback from customers and I have given out a bunch of them to all different levels of players... From touring pros to APA league players..

I think Russ Edwards just won an event here in TN using one of the mediums but I have to check and make sure that was the shaft he was using... He had been using a Kamui.... I think Nick Hickerson finished 2nd or 3rd.. Was a strong field from the accounts I received....

As far as the casein process it's too long to get into here but if you email me at Outsville@hotmail.com I can point you to some resources that you may find interesting and useful.

Chris