Advice on clear coating hardware

weegee3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to try doing clear coat for better or wqrse and would appreciate recommendations on roper equipment. First I already own a small craftsman compressor 125psi, i hp, 2 gal unit. Will that suffice or do I need a bigger unit?
Regards the gun I am told to get a hvlp type unit ith gravity feed??
Am I on the right track?
Have been warned about the fumes and such but I'm presently not happy with cyno, epoxies etc and hpoe I can get a better result with clear coat.
Any imput would be appreciated. Also have been scouring U tube and watching demos of how to soray, Seems like I can handle it Your thoghts?
Thanks
Weegeehttp://forums.azbilliards.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

If I were you I would use an oil less compressor and install two descant drier units downstream of the receiver tank.

If your compressor is not oil less I would install a particulate and coelessing filters before the driers.

Use automotive safe solvent for preping the cue, then tac cloth and keep silicone out of the shop alltogether.

Rick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hi,

If I were you I would use an oil less compressor and install two descant drier units downstream of the receiver tank.

If your compressor is not oil less I would install a particulate and coelessing filters before the driers.

Use automotive safe solvent for preping the cue, then tac cloth and keep silicone out of the shop alltogether.

Rick

Word!
Saw a 5-piece drier/filter with assisted air port for some $600+.
I was drooling.:p

Weegee is on his way to a lot of tears and screaming after sanding.:grin-square:

~back to sanding here too, coffee break is over ~

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I'm going to try doing clear coat for better or wqrse and would appreciate recommendations on roper equipment. First I already own a small craftsman compressor 125psi, i hp, 2 gal unit. Will that suffice or do I need a bigger unit?
Regards the gun I am told to get a hvlp type unit ith gravity feed??
Am I on the right track?
Have been warned about the fumes and such but I'm presently not happy with cyno, epoxies etc and hpoe I can get a better result with clear coat.
Any imput would be appreciated. Also have been scouring U tube and watching demos of how to soray, Seems like I can handle it Your thoghts?
Thanks
Weegeehttp://forums.azbilliards.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

You can shoot cues with the 15.00 Harbor Freight detail gun or spend big bucks and get a Sata or the like. Your compressor will most likely work, but make sure there is no water in the tank. Preparation is the most important part of painting. You can be the best spraying in the world but if the prep work is crap, so will the finish.

If you are shooting autoclear, follow the instructions to the letter. Don't spray if the temp is too cold...ect. If you somehow aren't sure if you mixed it properly, just start over. Before you begin, wipe the cue(I am assuming it is sealed with epoxy or something of the sort) with windex(that is what we used on cars)or alcohol. I'd avoid acetone(ESPECIALLY IF YOU SEALED WITH CYANO) or any harsh solvent.

I spin around 65 rpm on a lathe and that makes it pretty easy. I use 3 coats and then give it a day or so before sanding. That is all based on Chromaclear. If you start to sand(wet is definately best, but I know a top guy who never wet sands) and the paper loads up, just stop and leave it for another day. You can also hear when wet paper gets some debris, so stop if that happens as well. Start with 600 and move through at least 1200. After that, I prefer 3m white and then the Ultrafina blue with a piece of cloth. You can use a buffer too, but I think you'll be happy with the results and buffers have a learning curve that can be....frustrating..

Baba

Registered
If Compressor is ok depends on the gun you use. Hvlp guns need very high air volume. You have to check the data sheet of the gun to see if your compressor is ok.
I would recommend a Air Gunsa AZ 40 (http://www.anest-iwataeu.com/products.asp?Lin=2&Prod=15). It needs very low air volume and can be used with almost every compressor. I use it on my own and it's great. I used a hvlp before and the air Gunsa is way better.
I highly recommend a appropriate A2P2 mask. I use a Dräger X-xplore 3300 (http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B004DJCU34/ref=mw_dp_sim_ss4?pi=SL500_SX125)

Hope this helps

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Word!
Saw a 6-piece drier/filter with assisted air port for some $600+.
I was drooling.:p

Weegee is on his way to a lot of tears and screaming after sanding.:grin-square:

~back to sanding here too, coffee break is over ~

Drool over these sucka!!!!

Less than a G for both. Well I sold my old compressor for 150.00 so about 800.00

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 503
  • filter-dryer.jpg
    filter-dryer.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 488

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
^
Equipment googanisticism.
Bastahd. Is there anything at CL that gets by you?

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
^
Equipment googanisticism.
Bastahd. Is there anything at CL that gets by you?

I don't know.....lol....

The dryer was on Ebay for 400.00. It is a cycling unit, so it doesn't stay on all the time. The compressor is overkill, but I couldn't resist the deal and the big tank. Now I just need a second building to put everything in..

supercoupe5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I installed a air to air intercooler on my compressor. It is 18 X 24 and I mounted it to the belt guard. This thing is the best thing I have ever done!!! I decided to drain my compressor this past weekend and I got around 6 ounces of water out of my tank. My Sata digital HVLP gun uses 15.9cfm at 29psi. Dave

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Don't mean to hijack the thread but it caught my attention. I've been doing cue repair for about ten years and I've always wanted to play around with building cues, starting with Sneaky Pete's.

The finishing always stops me in my tracks because I hear of the dire warnings on fumes, etc. Friend of mine owns a body shop and I thought I would try to talk him into doing my spraying for me.

Am I being over cautious? Don't want to drop dead anytime soon... :frown:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Don't mean to hijack the thread but it caught my attention. I've been doing cue repair for about ten years and I've always wanted to play around with building cues, starting with Sneaky Pete's.

The finishing always stops me in my tracks because I hear of the dire warnings on fumes, etc. Friend of mine owns a body shop and I thought I would try to talk him into doing my spraying for me.

Use the body shop.
Too many cuemakers have died due to spraying.
Two are hall of famers I think.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member

Hi,

If you have an explosion proof large exhaust blower fan with high cfm, proper filter media downstream of the cue and wear the correct paint mask it should be a no brainier concerning safety.

In Illinois if you use a paint gun with less than a 4oz hopper cup it is compliant. Check your state EPA laws to be sure of local compliance.

It only take a few oz. of material to shoot 3 coats of clear.

Rick

weegee3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hello One Iron and welcome to the thread.
On one hand I hear all the dire predictions and yet, while at the the Billiards expo in N.J. last week, I spoke to a long time cue maker of considerable reputation who had a booth there and I grilled him about spraying and the gymnastics required to do cues.
He told me the following:
Holding the cue in the tape protected wrap area in one hand and his spray gun in the other,he steps outside his back door and starts spraying while turning and flipping the cue to get complete coverage.
Are you kidding me?
I am comfortable the guy was't jiving me. So if you think you are confused, join the party.
Of course, if you live on the 12th floor of an apartment building, that's another story.
The mystery continues........