Advice on how to stay down on the shot more consistently?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s tough. I exaggerate it while warming up. Will wait until I hear the ball drop in the trough before standing but even the best players in the world will jump up occasionally. I gets it’s a natural tendency

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I struggle with this too. When I'm staying down on the shots I shoot 100 points higher than when I'm jumping up. One thing that helps me is while practicing closing my eyes before the final stroke. I feel my stroke and don't move until I hear the ball drop. You'd be surprised at how accurate you can be if your alignment and stroke are good.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Pocket object ball then send the cue ball with your eyes, not your head.
Head remains still, eyes shift or follow the cue ball.
It’s that simple.

Zerksies

This was an easy habit for me to fix. Stay down till the cueball stops moving. It eventually fixes itself. But the big thing is, you need to be councous of your faults and if you know this exists. You need to learn to fix it fast.

I have and elbow issue that's just natural for me, if things go bad i start looking at that first.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remain in my shooting stance the entire time until the cue ball stops rolling and comes to its final destination.
This allows me to watch all the action, cue ball and object balls, looking at the table but at the height of the rails.

I only get out of my shooting stance with bridge hand still on the table bent over when all the balls on the table
are still and motionless or when the cue ball or another object ball is going to hit me so I move to avoid contact.

Another iron clad rule is I never step into the table’s shadow to assume my shooting stance until I have decided
how I will play the shot & what is my cue ball position for the next shot. I use a table map planning 4 shots ahead.

Chalking is another despite that I now use TAOM. Every 2-3 shots is what I do now and it still feels odd since all
my life I have chalked my cue tip on every shot and I’ve played pool for almost 65 years so it is hard to change.

Staying down on the table while shooting is easy. Just don’t get out of your shooting stance until the action stops.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waiting for the ball to drop, completing your follow thru, counting 3 seconds, etc., thoughts are all too late. You are already up.

Try this. On your final stroke, pull the cue back, stop briefly, then concentrate on starting your forward stroke by accelerating slowly. Extremely slow the first few times. Most likely you are jumping up exactly at the start of your final forward stroke. I doubt that you are jumping up on your back stroke. If you know when you are jumping up, you are more likely to be able to control it. Eventually muscle memory will take over.

This also helps keeping your eye focused on the ball.

Reactions: bbb

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just do a stroke drill. Shoot 500 balls straight into a pocket. Focus on good fundamentals in each attempt. Burn the good habits into muscle memory so that they become your brain’s default action.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member

Advice on how to stay down on the shot more consistently?​

After striking the obj. ball stay down constantly. simple as that.
and besides once that ball is
struck it dosnt matter one bit.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Weed works best but Xanax does the trick. Some opioids could do the trick too but not my thing. I get sidetracked on those. The only problem with the Xanax is you might not remember playing the next day. Especially if you add a beer or two to the mix. So if you are like me and still have your norcos in the fridge from the last time you had a toothache pop one and get to playing.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
If you don’t like to add substances how about having a bit more confidence in your game. Humans in general have a natural tendency to use body English to try to help projectiles move in certain paths. It doesn’t work, but the only reason you rise up is because you aren’t 100% positive the ball is going in or the shape will be right, and rising up is the beginning of you going with body English to help the shot fall or the cb move right. You need to be both consciously and subconsciously believing the ball will fall and you will never rise up on a shot again unless you have to to get out of the way of a ball or something. I’ll almost guarantee you someone who has a rising up issue does so more often on harder shots than on easy ones 99% of the time.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recognize that taking in your misses subconsciously is maybe as important as your makes. Forcing yourself to experience your poor alignment, aim, and stroke will help you dial in those aspects of your game on the next shot, but only if you experience all of it.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Big problem for me (I am guessing for many of us). Reoccurring problem for years. I might have a good night (or a good game) and successful stay down but this issue always rears its ugly head for me again.

What has worked for people to remedy this?
Work with a SPF instructor!! There are a few great ones to help you. One good lesson will give you the drills/tools/thought process, etc.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Set up shots you are uncomfortable with.
Learn to trust your stroke.
I tend to pop up when I don't believe in the shot.
Setting up shots that don't "look" right or feel uncomfortable help me to learn to trust my stroke. Trusting for me, keeps me from popping up

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Just a joke but …

One instructor told us if we have a problem jumping up after the shot then take a wire hanger, stretch it out from top to bottom, put the loop around your neck and the hook end under your scrotum.
You’ll stay down! 😫
LOL I was actually going to say that. I was told that by my teammate and never forgot it. Doesn't mean I never did it again, just never forgot it. I would suggest practicing just to stay down at the table and by exaggerating that action, slowing down in general, it will condition your mind and calm your stroke. This is a good thing in my opinion and a slow steady pace creates a good rhythm.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weed works best but Xanax does the trick. Some opioids could do the trick too but not my thing. I get sidetracked on those. The only problem with the Xanax is you might not remember playing the next day. Especially if you add a beer or two to the mix. So if you are like me and still have your norcos in the fridge from the last time you had a toothache pop one and get to playing.
Screenshot_20240507-135229.jpg