Advice on how to stay down on the shot more consistently?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Big problem for me (I am guessing for many of us). Reoccurring problem for years. I might have a good night (or a good game) and successful stay down but this issue always rears its ugly head for me again.

What has worked for people to remedy this?
The only thing that moves is whatever makes the cue move.

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play a rack, maybe once a week or as often as needed to correct the "jumps".
Shoot the rack - where you shoot every ball and do not get up until cue ball stops moving. Obviously this is an over exaggeration of staying down but works nice too reinforce good practices of staying down on shot.

Cue Stick

Big problem for me (I am guessing for many of us). Reoccurring problem for years. I might have a good night (or a good game) and successful stay down but this issue always rears its ugly head for me again.

I was always told to stay down until I see the ball fall in the pocket. If I think about that before I shoot it helps me tremendously.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I play fast and coming up too soon is a problem I fought for many years.
Once I started focusing on my follow thru, watching the shot unfold completely B4 moving on, helped me to stay down a tad longer. I still get up quick, but not so quick as to affect the shot path anymore.
Hope that helps.
Just remember with all these tips and suggestions... Take what you can use and leave the rest!!👍🏻

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play fast and coming up too soon is a problem I fought for many years.
Once I started focusing on my follow thru, watching the shot unfold completely B4 moving on, helped me to stay down a tad longer. I still get up quick, but not so quick as to affect the shot path anymore.
Hope that helps.
Just remember with all these tips and suggestions... Take what you can use and leave the rest!!👍🏻
Rehearsing the shot in real time is a technique I use when I require good cue ball. (nearly all the time nowadays) This also it seems, eliminates all the out of sync running around the table. Nuther hidden benefit is you can stay in deep focus without getting blindsided by the cue ball or unaccounted ball action crisscrossing your follow through.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I try to wait until a ball drops and/or focus on my follow through. Something i know helped a friend, he had is wife put her hand on his back, which reminded him not to jump up. cant do that in a game, but when practicing it help him get in the habit of staying down.