All for one and one for all doesn't get it.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
AIMING: One must ask themselves why? Why are there so many different aiming systems (that work)? The SPF Family of Instructors find that answer quite simple. Every pool player (49 million) sees the relationship between cue ball & object ball very different. Then throw the pocket into this mix. That's why there are several taught aiming systems that all work great. Not one but several.

After the Process, Stroke & Alignment have been addressed and every thing is smoothed out, then maybe aiming should be discussed. One shoe doesn't fit all. Remember: "There is no aiming system contrived that will work successfully with a poor stroke."

As a BCA Master Instructor I have studied 25 different aiming systems, yes maybe even more. I find it my job to be able to relate to our students a couple of different systems that I find noteworthy. Then let the student wrap their brain around the one they understand. After three days of Pool School, that's hard to do.

Aiming is as personal as your stroke. To be closed minded is to fall behind. The information is available to us, let's use it.

We tell all our students that: "Be carefull of what you throw away, someday, someone is going to beat you with it."

SPF=randyg

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Interesting and very informative. All successful aiming systems have one thing in common...they all end up with the cue ball making contact with the same point on the object ball...the point that sends the object ball to the pocket!

One thing we do know...if you can determine the proper place to aim, and have a delivery system that will get the cue ball to that point, you will make shots!

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Steve

JLD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ability to aim correctly is secondary to the ability to place the contact point of cue and bridge hand directly on the line the cue ball must travel to pocket the ball. If the contact point has been placed correctly the shooter using center ball(high, center or low) should be able to pocket the ball with their eyes closed as long as they can deliver a straight stroke within the correct speed range. No aiming system will work correctly if the contact point has been placed too far off the line thus making it near impossible to pocket the ball unless it is fairly close to and directly in line with the pocket. When using english aiming becomes more of a factor and can require an adjustment of the pivot point and object ball contact point when using parallel english.

As stated in the original post there are many different aiming systems and whatever works best for one player may not work at all for another player. First and foremost the player should concentrate on the approach to the shot, concentrating on the line of cue ball travel and placing the contact point of the bridge directly on that line. If done correctly the aiming process is much more likely to succeed.

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After attending Pool School with Randyg (which I highly recommend) this is how I use SAM. It definitely gets me in the ball park and allows me to quantify the shot. It also helps me determine why I missed. So for me I do use SAM now as part of my preshot routine. I might not deliver my stroke correctly and miss but I at least assign my shot a number for both speed and aim point. If I don't have a good number in my head I don't take the shot unless I am just messing around.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
S.A.M. is my BOSS! I use it on all Pocketing, Banks & Caroms. It's just how I see the shots. Aiming with my cue stick is the nuts after years of aiming with overlap. I often wonder, "what took me so long?".

Remember: There are two catagories of aiming.
1. Cue ball/object ball overlap.
2. Stick aiming.

Then each of these are broke down into sub-sections.

Man, what a game we play....SPF=randyg

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
yes this is one of the strongest things I ever learned in pool!!!!

S.A.M. is my BOSS! I use it on all Pocketing, Banks & Caroms. It's just how I see the shots. Aiming with my cue stick is the nuts after years of aiming with overlap. I often wonder, "what took me so long?".

Remember: There are two catagories of aiming.
1. Cue ball/object ball overlap.
2. Stick aiming.

Then each of these are broke down into sub-sections.

Man, what a game we play....SPF=randyg

yes this is a very strong method, and it's my boss too. I find it a must have tool, especially when you just feel like you have no idea how to get down on the ball or cant see too well, or your nerves are just shot to hell.

This method will put you where you NEED to be in order to make the ball, I find many times even if I feel like I'm "wrong" after getting down and feel like I can't trust my eyes, well i trust this method to get me home. Closest thing I know to able to just point and click and bang make the ball.

S.A.M. now with worries not included,:wink:
Grey Ghost

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Or simply put...SAM is R.A.D.

Steve

I agree Steve. S.A.M is more of an Shooting System than an Aiming System.
R.A.D is needed in all systems.

R.A.D stands for...Recognize-Align-Deliver

SPF=randyg

Guy

Registered
Sometimes it gets discouraging when practicing the stroke fundamentals, no elbow drop, ending up in the home position, when you have no consistant aiming system and balls don't go down with enough regularity.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Thanks Randy. Over the few years I've been trying to play pool I've learned several ways to look at shots and try to determine how to make the ball go in the pocket.

I find that on almost every shot, these days, my brain will incorporate two or three methods into the final line for the shot. I see/feel the angle, see a ghost ball in front of and behind the ob, notice the overlap, and it all happens at the same time. The methods use each other to check out the accuracy of the shot I'm contemplating and determine a final and correct (hopefully!:) ) outcome.

I haven't learned SAM yet. Scott will come through one of these days and show me. He was going to stop here in May of 2008 but something got in the way of that and we haven't gotten a stop rescheduled.

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Sometimes it gets discouraging when practicing the stroke fundamentals, no elbow drop, ending up in the home position, when you have no consistant aiming system and balls don't go down with enough regularity.

Don't let it get you discouraged. Sound fundamentals are critical to accurate shotmaking. Learning where to aim is the other. If you know where to aim, and you have a reliable consistent stroke that delivers the cue ball where you are aiming, shots are going to fall.
Maybe you should spend some time with a qualified instructor to help you learn some different aiming systems that might help you.
Steve

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member

Stop when you get tired.

Remember that every time you practice you are improving whether you see it at the moment or not. Just keep it up and give yourself some pats on the back for sticking with it. It pays off!!!!!

Guy

Registered
Don't let it get you discouraged. Sound fundamentals are critical to accurate shotmaking. Learning where to aim is the other. If you know where to aim, and you have a reliable consistent stroke that delivers the cue ball where you are aiming, shots are going to fall.
Maybe you should spend some time with a qualified instructor to help you learn some different aiming systems that might help you.
Steve

No SPF guys in So. Calif. Hopefully Scott will be out next month. But with his schedule it is far from a sure thing.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
No SPF guys in So. Calif. Hopefully Scott will be out next month. But with his schedule it is far from a sure thing.

I'm going to be in So. Calif next week. I have a large Pool School in Santa Barbara, Ca on Oct 16-17-18.....SPF=randyg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy...No, this time it is a sure thing. However, it will be early December, instead of Nov. I will be in S. CA the 2nd week in December. Please PM me to make arrangements for the 3-day pool school I am organizing, or a private lesson.:grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Then I gently suggest avoiding a pinned elbow, most pros have the elbow go down, or come up, or both (!) at some time(s) during the stroke.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCP, for all the grief you've given Randy and Scott over the years why do you insist on dredging these posts up? It really speaks for your character.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
DCP, for all the grief you've given Randy and Scott over the years why do you insist on dredging these posts up? It really speaks for your character.
I deleted what i posted last night
but i agree with you
DCP why dont you tell us why you bumped this thread and what you hope to learn
since you dont tend to contribute anything that helps us players

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking through old threads from years ago. Ran across this one and thought it had some interesting info. So I bumped it. If anybody wants to try and read more into that, well, that's their option to do so. I bump old threads now and then.

r/DCP