American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship (Oct 24-29), Norfolk, Winner $10K

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am reminded of when Warren Kiamco had a qualifying attempt at the DCC 14.1 Challenge. It took him one hour and forty minutes to run 97. It was in about 2010. It was not easy to watch.
Sounds like it wasn't easy to do either. 😁😆😅

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker is not as slow as De Luna plays straight pool*. ;)

* Ebdon excepted.
I watched DeLuna play 9B once and swore I'd never watch him again. When he has to decide which ball to shoot he's 10 times worse.

It would be great if someone could talk Peter into having a shot clock for the semis and final. Maybe 45 seconds with 3 two minute extensions per match.

And Filler gets the high run 126-and-out and then continues to 216. I heard that there's a $1000 for highest continuation run.
It's $1000 if someone breaks 330 (Pete Margo's record). High run for the tournament is $500.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As one who lived through the straight pool era and attended many straight pool events back then, I think that two of the reasons straight pool disappeared in tournament play were a) the call shot component of the game, and b) the lack of a shot clock, that ensured that an already slow game remained that way. Thankfully, today's pro nine ball game doesn't typically have either of these problems, so it's far more watchable and far more viewer friendly. Still, 14.1 is a beautiful game and I'm glad that Peter Burrows as well as the European Pocket Billiard Federation are not letting the tournament game die, despite the misguided efforts of many to place the greater emphasis on high runs made against the ghost.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
As one who lived through the straight pool era and attended many straight pool events back then, I think that two of the reasons straight pool disappeared in tournament play were a) the call shot component of the game, and b) the lack of a shot clock, that ensured that an already slow game remained that way. Thankfully, today's pro nine ball game doesn't typically have either of these problems, so it's far more watchable and far more viewer friendly. Still, 14.1 is a beautiful game and I'm glad that Peter Burrows as well as the European Pocket Billiard Federation are not letting the tournament game die, despite the misguided efforts of many to place the greater emphasis on high runs made against the ghost.
Along these lines, the Mario He vs Alcaide match is why I love 14.1. It was not perfect 14.1 by any means - the safety play was pretty bad (but that could be the new cloth - just guessing) with both players selling out a shot trying to bunt the stack often. But David got to like 120-something and missed. Mario ran out from there from about a 30 odd ball deficit. Both players traded runs. The pace was medium - not fast or slow.

I find that kind of pool more exciting than 9 ball to be honest. I understand I'm probably in the minority.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were few matches more than 3 hrs and top 2 longest matches involved Tom Czaplicki. Average number of seconds per ball for top 2 longest matches is 80 seconds. Tony Drago ran out a nine ball rack (8 balls in 52 seconds) against Earl while these boys here took at least 52 seconds just for 1 ball.
average time.JPG

Mario He v Alcaide is listed as 15 hrs long so must be error unless they fell asleep while playing :LOL:

15 hrs.JPG

Incidentally, if the stats are correct, the slow coaches with longest average match are the 800+ players (the 300-499 were slower but they had small sample 3 matches) at about 2.5 hours. These rotation players taking too long to stroke and aim every ball around the CB :ROFLMAO:

match length.JPG

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There were few matches more than 3 hrs and top 2 longest matches involved Tom Czaplicki. Average number of seconds per ball for top 2 longest matches is 80 seconds. Tony Drago ran out a nine ball rack (8 balls in 52 seconds) against Earl while these boys here took at least 52 seconds just for 1 ball.
View attachment 667727
Can you imagine Eagle Eye spending 3 hours in a game to 125 with an opponent who scored 10 points? You'd think that wouldn't have taken more than an hour. Maybe Czaplicki is r-e-a-l-l-y good at safety play.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would appreciate if they put makkonen or zielinski on the stream table, as they seem to be going strong on the outer tables

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Trying to remember our play times during those yrs of 14.1.
With a decent bet, we always included loser pays time.
When gambling most often it was to 125.
It usually took under two hours.
With many runs of 20's 30's and 40's.
When you got good tho, often a 50 and then an 80 here and there, and when the 100 ball runs happened, play lasted close to an hour, sometimes 45minutes.
Slow players, we'd call em the ''ice men''.

FunChamp

Guys that play 14:1 a lot play faster because they process the racks faster. Most of these folks don't play a lot of it so take longer trying to figure out what to do. Makes sense but yes is hard to watch. The more they play, i.e. events, the more they would get better and faster.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More three-foul rule/refereeing drama on the main stream again today...

Looks like the ref called some kind of intentional foul/unsportsmanlike conduct on Deuel, and then reracked the balls even though Appleton would have been better off with the balls spread out on the table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
More three-foul rule/refereeing drama on the main stream again today...

Looks like the ref called some kind of intentional foul/unsportsmanlike conduct on Deuel, and then reracked the balls even though Appleton would have been better off with the balls spread out on the table.
That was correctly handled, as there is no option to accept the table in the case of an unsportsmanlike foul, which is treated like a third consecutive foul. The rules require for a rerack.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what a 2007 WPA rule set says:

4.11 Serious Fouls
For Rule 6.14 Three Consecutive Fouls, only standard fouls are counted, so a breaking foul does not count as one of the three fouls. A point is subtracted for the third foul as usual, and then the additional fifteen-point penalty is subtracted and the offending player’s consecutive foul count is reset to zero. All fifteen balls are re-racked and the offending player is required to shoot under the requirements of the opening break.
For 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct, the referee will choose a penalty depending on the nature of the offense.

To me and most of the people watching on the stream it didn't appear Deuel actually did anything unsportsmanlike.

DeeDeeCues

I would agree generally, but alternating between reds and colours makes snooker easier for casual fans to follow. With 14.1, if you don’t know the game, it can look a bit haphazard and random. It doesn’t help when commentators struggle to predict the players patterns. And that is common, because I feel like many commentators are trying to apply classical 14.1 thinking to 9 ball players who have a more unorthodox approach. Personally, I’d hate to commentate 14.1. because the players would make me sound silly.

Commentary should make no predictions.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was correctly handled, as there is no option to accept the table in the case of an unsportsmanlike foul, which is treated like a third consecutive foul. The rules require for a rerack.

that was, as far as table abuse is concerned, a very mild "slam of the cue".. weird situation, as it hurt darren the most in the end