Americans - are you happy with what Matchroom is doing with Pool ?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm bumping this thread after listening to Emily Frazier's interview with Shane.
What Matchroom is doing with all their events is what we've all been waiting for.
I'm loving it!
Darn right. Matchroom has the most dedicated management team we've seen in pool in recent times, and Emily Frazer, the tireless executive who runs the show. is ambitious and conscientious about presenting the best pro pool product possible.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's OK by me.

It could be worse. I saw some Australian 8-ball on FTF the other day, and that was strange. Table looked to be 8 feet long, and there were 7 yellow balls, 7 red balls, and the 8-ball was white with a black stripe. Easy to see who was shooting what, but the yellow and red ball colors were sort of odd shades. They looked terrible, to me. I wasn't even sure what game they were playing, at first. I had to turn it off after a few minutes.

Last edited:

soyale

I think they are doing a great job. Not that they don't have a few mistakes along the way. BRING BACK THE ORANGE 5!!!

yesterday was the first time i’ve ever seen the tournament black set in person, a guy brought em to the bar with 7’ diamonds that i was playing at.

at one point i looked up and saw his opponent get perfect shape on the “5” ball only to realize he was supposed to be shooting at the 4. i overheard the guy say “ooookay just for this rack, THATS the 5 and THATS the 4” meaning he swip swapped em.

but yes matchroom is doing a fantastic job aside from the purple basketball.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Everyone always likes the "New Shiny Object". Human nature. Kinda reminds me of when
K-Mart & Wal Mart were fighting it out. K being the old well used and Wally being the shiny new.
Service at each was different to say the least. At K, you had to hunt down an associate at Wally
you almost had to beat them off as they were thick as ... Any way, right after K fell into the
Blackhole of retail ... well how easy is it to find a Wally associate now days? How soon after MR gets
what they consider a Lock on the market will the service start to deteriorate???

I agree about green cloth, orange 5 balls as I'm kinda a traditionalist.

hank

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're doing something with pool but that's all I can tell for sure. What I see is they are missing a defined audience and a format that fits it. Ass backwards but that's the snooker pool is on.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... , and there were 7 yellow balls, 7 red balls, and the 8-ball ...
Eight ball was originally reds and yellows --- about 100 years ago. For two years around 1980, the national championships were with reds and yellows.
The purple five is a mistake, though.
CropperCapture[55].png