Another “Was this a foul” question

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

....................​

8. Frozen balls​

A ball is not considered “frozen” unless it is inspected and designated as frozen prior to a player’s shot. To obtain a legal safety to the same rail on a ball declared frozen to a rail then the cue ball must contact the ball and then the rail, or the ball must leave the rail and contact another ball before returning to that rail, or another ball must be driven to a rail. If the cue ball becomes wedged between an object ball and the cushion and frozen to both, then legal shot requirements must be met by pocketing the frozen ball, or by contacting either another ball or another cushion enroute to a legal shot.
above is from the onepocket.org rules
bolded part is from me for emphasis
Thanks. One Pocket has many different rules depending on where you play. I will check to see if Derby City One Pocket rules are different. I have not been there in several years.

EDIT...For 2025 the DCC One Pocket: 'The cue ball or an object ball must be driven to a rail after contact with a legal object ball or it is a foul'.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. One Pocket has many different rules depending on where you play. I will check to see if Derby City One Pocket rules are different. I have not been there in several years.

EDIT...For 2025 the DCC One Pocket: 'The cue ball or an object ball must be driven to a rail after contact with a legal object ball or it is a foul'.
I think that is not clear for some of the stranger cases. It is unfortunate that DCC is still making up their own rules.

snookered_again

if the CB is frozen to a red, in snooker, we will normally call it and have the opponent agree if it is in fact frozen or just close. If it is agreed to be frozen the shooter can shoot away, this gives a great option to hook as it is considered that it has already contacted the red, so they can shoot away, hit no other ball at all, nor any cusion , maybe hook someone with the opportunity, and it is a legal shot.

if the ball is deemed to be only very close then it is acceptable to shoot , grazing the ball and moving it a but it is normally done in such a way that it is not pushing into the ball very much I guess you could say it was "grazing the ball" from a position starting as close to contact..

I'm unsure of the limit of this, in other words it may be possible to pocket the ball if a push shot is permitted, but in many cases it results in playing a safety unless there is something else entirely different to shoot at and pocket..

I have never noted a situation where the frozen or nearby ball is pocketed through use of an intentional push shot.

I realize you guys are probably discussing 8 or 9 ball or straight pool and not snooker but its a similar situation. as far as I know the rule about hitting the rails is a 8 ball rule not a snooker rule but it may come into pay in "american snooker"

I've had it happen in 9 ball where a push shot was called upon me by an aggressive player who proceeded to pick up the CB and play a ball in hand. Its just not always worth arguing, In competition play It would be judged, but in casual play, I didn't care enough to argue it. I don't gamble so the most we are playing for is our right to stay on the table.

I've seen similar in snooker where I shot away from a very nearby ball and an opponent made a bad call.. I was sure I saw the red "rock" , which was exactly my intent in playing the shot. He was perhaps just further and didn't see the movement but I saw it as it was right under my nose..

again not worth he argument, friendly play continued, no regrets. no video to review, not even a spectator to make a judgement. Irked me, sure, but I let it go.

we do prefer to play by real rules though as some may take things seriously and some do compete in larger arenas.

I think my question here is similar in 8 ball if a ball is near touching it you can shoot at a slight angle , it is in actuality a push shot becaue the ball is travelling and it's in contact with the cue and the OB even though it is sort of "grazing the ball"

, but what if one were to take a shot with a little more than a "graze" that becomes very difficult to quantify. maybe there is a better term than a "graze" I wonder how a judge would interpret that?

touching a ball is a 4 point fault in snooker, it may be more likely that a snooker player will make the call , for example if your shirt sleeve were to contact a ball that is a fault.. often we are just honest and will call such a fault upon ourselves even in the event no one is watching closely.
so what should I do when I am bridging near other balls and I feel one of the hairs on the back of my hand touch a ball, I have not moved it, ihave not made skin contact, I suppose it is contact but I'd say that some may call that upon themselves and many may not.

at home with my lady she's always calling faults upon hersef to the point of it getting a bit rediculous, I don't want to win by way of so many faults.. I thought maybe making a "house rule" that a ball has to actually move may make sense, thus eliminatung about half of them.

is 8 ball or 9 ball as stringent upon such a touch fault? how far would you take it? woudl you call upon yourself , a hair on the back of your hand, which you can just barely feel, and did not move the ball, as a ball contact foul ?
It's an example of a foul you may notice, but others may not really even be able to sense, even when they do happen to be watching intently..

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I've had it happen in 9 ball where a push shot was called upon me by an aggressive player who proceeded to pick up the CB and play a ball in hand. Its just not always worth arguing, ...
You might suggest to the room owner to post a new house rule: Before taking ball in hand for a foul, you must have your opponent's agreement that the shot was a foul.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might suggest to the room owner to post a new house rule: Before taking ball in hand for a foul, you must have your opponent's agreement that the shot was a foul.
I could be wrong, but I don't know of a set of rules that allows someone to simply "take" ball in hand whenever they want.

Ultimately, there has to be approval. In the absence of a referee, anybody who picks up the cue ball himself without approval would be the one giving up ball in hand…

It actually happened to me in a tournament. Without asking I picked up the cue ball believing that my opponent had missed his object ball. He claimed that he had hit the object ball.

In a situation like that, that the shooter is given the benefit of the doubt.

My fault for not asking.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong, but I don't know of a set of rules that allows someone to simply "take" ball in hand whenever they want.

Ultimately, there has to be approval. In the absence of a referee, anybody who picks up the cue ball himself without approval would be the one giving up ball in hand…

It actually happened to me in a tournament. Without asking I picked up the cue ball believing that my opponent had missed his object ball. He claimed that he had hit the object ball.

In a situation like that, that the shooter is given the benefit of the doubt.

My fault for not asking.
The other side of that is that it's good sportsmanship to say, "Foul, you've got ball in hand," when you foul. I've seen lots of players just walk away from the table after a foul giving their opponent a chance to play from the leave.